WaWa?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ Jack: I'm not sure that the Hebrew faith is particularly "strange" (the Muslim faith has the same ideas regarding pig-flesh and Catholics have a prohibition on eating meat on Good Friday). It's just another example of the need for ALL churches to control their brethren!! The prohibition on eating pork probably had a very good basis back in the day when deities were roaming the earth in human form, or when Religions were at their embryonic start.

Call it tradition, call it a decree from God herself - the continuing practice seems to have nothing to do with the higher ideals of the religion - it seems to be a "Jungian" mechanism (IMO - no disrespect intended to any readers that have faith) -but what do I know?

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah I believed it had to do with intelligence ........... :D /\

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
vreihen: "bagel with pork roll'? - hmm..... I'm not Hebrew, but I'm guessing that you won't find that in Wa Wa's Jerusalem franchises!!;)

You're working under the bold assumption that the regional mystery meat delicacy known as pork roll (Taylor ham) actually contains pork or pork byproducts.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The prohibition on eating pork probably had a very good basis back in the day when deities were roaming the earth in human form, or when Religions were at their embryonic start.

Back in the olden days when I had a retail job while going to school, there was a rabbi that stopped in every morning. The dude traveled from Brooklyn to a local meat-packing plant (about 125 km each way) just to bless the day's production. My impression from speaking with him and stepping back a few paces is that the whole kosher thing was because of the lack of refrigeration and government inspector oversight in biblical times. Although it is purely a ceremonial task now, I imagine that rabbis were acting as the meat inspectors in ancient times.

Taking my theory further, I believe that many things can be explained away by the lack of refrigeration and sanitary conditions. Lots of foods like meats and cheeses were preserved with salt, to survive at ambient temperature for weeks/months. Ditto for alcoholic beverages, since it kills all of the bad things that were in water at the time.

Speaking of my night job, there was an orthodox jewish ambulance crew that used to stop in every few weeks. They would come in one person at a time (planned privacy), and each of them would buy a bag of pork rinds with exact change and subsequently consume them like starving prisoners in the back corner of the sales floor so that nobody outside would see them. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
When I was doing research for an earlier post, I saw in the Wikipedia entry for Quick Chek that their first store opened in 1967...in the town where I lived at the time! I was in Quick Chek #1 many times as a young tike, before we moved far away a few years later. Something that I would have never known if a competitor's quality didn't jump the shark and spawn this thread.....

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
To put it simply, I think it's just "fatigue". Growing tired of everything they have to offer. When we go there at least once a week it can get old.

Too much of a good thing.

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
The gas station up the street has a full deli that makes awesome sandwiches. Can't knock all gas station food... It's my go to place for scrapple/egg sandwiches.

Yeah but they charge more up front, and also nickel and dime you for the simplest things on your sandwich.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
To put it simply, I think it's just "fatigue". Growing tired of everything they have to offer. When we go there at least once a week it can get old.

Explain this to NostraJackAss! He loves going back to Outback Steakhouse every week for more punishment, or as the rest of his friends call it "the land down under the septic tank" after eating there.....

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

So is Tech Support Week on Monday going to be different?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Explain this to NostraJackAss! He loves going back to Outback Steakhouse every week for more punishment, or as the rest of his friends call it "the land down under the septic tank" after eating there.....

vreihen: when I read your post, I had an urge to support the Aussie culture - but then I realized that I've never heard of "outback Steakhouse". Had to check with Mr Google - it's not an Aussie restaurant, it's an Aussie themed restaurant. Outback Steakhouse menu down here looks more like a "yanky" restaurant - not sure why a "bloomin onion" is called a "true Outback original". Ain't any onion's in the outback and the native bush-onions are nothing like the picture on the restaurant menu!!

Which brings me to the real point of my reply - how often would you say that the average American has a meal that isn't cooked in their home kitchens?

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
vreihen: when I read your post, I had an urge to support the Aussie culture - but then I realized that I've never heard of "outback Steakhouse". Had to check with Mr Google - it's not an Aussie restaurant, it's an Aussie themed restaurant. Outback Steakhouse menu down here looks more like a "yanky" restaurant - not sure why a "bloomin onion" is called a "true Outback original". Ain't any onion's in the outback and the native bush-onions are nothing like the picture on the restaurant menu!!

YouTube has several videos of Australian natives visiting these restaurants to laugh at them. Heck, they don't even have the ingredients to make a pie floater in their kitchens! My favorite corny menu item name is the "chocolate thunder from down under," which they market as a dessert item but is also something that comes for free with their dinners about an hour after walking out of their door when your colon purges.

Obligatory VCDS hat at Outback Restaurant picture:

20170709140354-2559568d.jpg

Children, don't try this at home. You'll block an artery!

Which brings me to the real point of my reply - how often would you say that the average American has a meal that isn't cooked in their home kitchens?

What's a kitchen? :confused: The dinner bell at most American houses is connected to the pushbutton outside their front door. Ding, dong. Kids, pizza's here!!!!! :facepalm:

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I thought the Scots had unhealthy food sorted with deep-fried battered Mars bars and battered pizza.

I'm not sure even they had thought of deep-frying green veg (although if they did, they'd batter it first :popcorn:)

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151

Don

around here, generally it seems like a very high average for eating out and low average cooked at home.

I know personally, we eat out the majority of the time. Something cooked at home (besides maybe cereal) probably 2-10 meals a month.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Yeah, the grocery over restaurant price ratio here is crazy high compared to, say, France.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I thought the Scots had unhealthy food sorted with deep-fried battered Mars bars and battered pizza.

I'm not sure even they had thought of deep-frying green veg (although if they did, they'd batter it first :popcorn:)

Outback used to sell "bushmen 'shrooms" that were batter-fried, and it is not odd to see battered cauliflower on American menus from time to time. (I used to have a summer job making fried cauliflower and mushrooms at a fair concession stand when I was in high school.) Deep fried pickle chips are the current appetizer rage in the chain restaurants. A county fair staple is deep-fried Oreo cookies, with a footnote that I have never had one.

The most unique thing that I've seen recently was at a local restaurant specializing in Louisiana/cajun food. They breaded BBQ ribs and put them into the fryer. Salt and artery issues aside, they were the most moist ribs that I have ever eaten. The gumbo was also good. Yet we go back to Outback to cleanse our colons every week..... :p

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Ass-crack shit house brought back fried tallow mushrooms...........I think?

Back