Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ross-Tech Cable HEX-V2 FAKE???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    Guys - If my wife asks... that's what I paid for it too!
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cable was sold by him yes (Although looking at his user ID now, he has changed it to something else). What are the odds of that. Did you manage to get a full refund after calling them? I'm having to wait until I can escalate the case.
    Last edited by DMC2020; 01-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get why Ross-Tech hasn't contacted eBay, with copyright violations. They'd take those auctions down in a heartbeat, like they always do when notified. Maybe not the cables without his name, like the blue ones, which nobody in their right mind would confuse as legitimate. But the ones that look identical to the real thing are a flagrant infringement. Ross-Tech should protect his investment, and also protect honest consumers trying to buy the real thing. Anyway, I'm about to buy mine, and don't want to be fooled. Found a supposedly legitimate seller (EuropaParts) which sells them with free shipping, rather than having to pay shipping at Ross-Tech. Are they legitimate??? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    I just don't get why Ross-Tech hasn't contacted eBay, with copyright violations. They'd take those auctions down in a heartbeat, like they always do when notified. Maybe not the cables without his name, like the blue ones, which nobody in their right mind would confuse as legitimate. But the ones that look identical to the real thing are a flagrant infringement. Ross-Tech should protect his investment, and also protect honest consumers trying to buy the real thing. Anyway, I'm about to buy mine, and don't want to be fooled. Found a supposedly legitimate seller (EuropaParts) which sells them with free shipping, rather than having to pay shipping at Ross-Tech. Are they legitimate??? Thx.
    We do that pretty much on a daily basis. But it's like playing whack-a-mole.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes Bruce, Michael Ross liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    We do that pretty much on a daily basis. But it's like playing whack-a-mole.
    Good to hear then. But hey, you didn't comment if 'EuropaParts' is a legitimate VCDS distributor. Please tell us. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    Good to hear then. But hey, you didn't comment if 'EuropaParts' is a legitimate VCDS distributor. Please tell us. Thanks.
    Sorry, I missed that..

Yes, they are legit. One way to tell, they are listed on our distributor page, about half way down the first column.
    http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

-Uwe-

8. Likes Bruce, myounus liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    More fakes:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VCDS-18-1....c100009.m1982

Shame for some of the buyers as some probably believe they are genuine units.

Martin

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJRVR View Post
    More fakes:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VCDS-18-1....c100009.m1982

Shame for some of the buyers as some probably believe they are genuine units.

Martin
    Thanks. I've send a take-down request to eBay.

There's an old saying: "If something looks too good to be true, caveat emptor!"

12. Likes Boki Ar, MJRVR, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I almost purchase a used one on eBay, but I saw this post and decided to order a new one from the company direct.

14. Likes jyoung8607, Eric, Uwe, MJRVR, PetrolDave and 3 others liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi everyone. I'm quite new to VCDS and just got my VW ... 2015 Tiguan. I was aware there were clones out there, but got duped by a local seller on Irish adverts website . His HEX-V2 looked totally unrecognisable (at least to me) to all the pictures on any authorised delaer's site. Down to soft silicone data cable and LEDs. Also the guy was not claiming to have more than one. It was about Ä60 which is, of course, too good to be true, but I thought it would have maybe all three VIN numbers used up and I could use it for basic scanning only, before I put together the cash for a real one.

Will try to contact the guy via the local web and try to get my money back. The interface shows as genuine, even did autoscan until I got multiple .rod file missing errors.
    It came with a mini CD with VCDS 17.8.1 on it and I presume since my car had a recent VW service some modules got updates and are no longer recognised by the older firmware (and new 18+ verson won't update interface firmware). Whatever it is, I don't trust it and will be purchasing a genuine cable in the next few days.

Reading around the forum here & especially through the 'About' section of the main website... about the wonderful people of Ross tech working hard to make it the best it can be... I'll be more than happy to support them, even though my credit card will get murdered in the process...

Hopefully this will redeem my initial silly purchase and you guys won't leave me out in the cold

Cheers!

16. Likes gabb1226, Uwe liked this post