:D

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
WOW!

Just for shits and giggles, I searched for hex-v2 on ebay and I can't believe the results.
$30 units from china, oh yeah, that's genuine for sure!
And compatible with MB and BMW even! What a deal!
I will send mine back and get me one of them ebay units... :p
And then you get those "affordable" ones too: $321"gently used" or $882 for a hex-net, what a deal!
Jeez, you see all kinds...

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Would it make sense for the corporate fight against piracy to have a little public webservice/webpage established where everyone can submit an Auto-Scan or just the serial number from the About Dialog in order to determine whether its origin is a clone?
Since the calculations and the blacklist comparison can only happen at RT server side...

Besides I'd love to have the possibility to exclude clone users from my VCDS tools side projects as best as possible

Last edited:

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Would it make sense for the corporate fight against piracy to have a little public webservice/webpage established where everyone can submit an Auto-Scan or just the serial number from the About Dialog in order to determine whether its origin is a clone?
Since the calculations and the blacklist comparison can only happen at RT server side...

Besides I'd love to have the possibility to exclude clone users from my VCDS tools side projects as best as possible

It's a double-edged sword, as the easier it is to work out that an interface is a clone, the easier it would be to spot the pattern in the criteria that Ross-Tech use to to distinguish them (no, I don't know what it is either), and therefore the easier it would become for the cloners to work around it.
I'd imagine this is why cloned auto-scans are removed from the forums as well as the threads being consigned to the Hall of Shame.

The easiest way to know an interface for sale is a clone is usually if the price is substantially lower than the authorised distributors in the same country.
If something looks too good to be true, it usually is...

Last edited:

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I'm pretty sure that I know the rough principle about how to determine whether an Auto-Scan is made with a Clone or not, but I'll not state this here and if it was possible by myself, I would not ask ;)

I also like to ban clone users from using my VCDS tools as they also deal with Auto-Scans / VCDS itself...a nice thing could be using any public or even registration-needing webservice to double-check for authenticity

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Even I can't be sure whether a scan is from a clone or not without making a query to a database, and I really don't think it's a good idea to expose the ability to make such queries to the public.

-Uwe-

Lunatick

Reaction score
I recently bought one hex v2 and got the same as you guys 😓 piece of crap from eBay that looks like the real one but nothing to do...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I recently bought one hex v2 and got the same as you guys �� piece of crap from eBay that looks like the real one but nothing to do...
If it's recent, make them take it back. Tell them it's a fake copy of a product protected by both trademark and copyright.

Since you found this forum, you probably know where you can get a real one now. :)

-Uwe-

Lunatick

Reaction score
I did already and now I’m saving up for the nat pro lol... does this mean the error I was getting on both computers about a library missing is because of that or because my laptops aren’t well configured??..

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I did already and now I’m saving up for the nat pro lol... does this mean the error I was getting on both computers about a library missing is because of that or because my laptops aren’t well configured??..
With a fake they supply hacked software so anything is possible. I would delete ALL the software that came with the fake.

Wait until you get a genuine Ross-Tech HEX-NET and all should be OK then.

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
About an hour ago I placed an order for a Hex-Net to replace my trusty Hex+Can. Ross Tech has built a fantastic product, that allows me to mod/diagnose my VWs without causing any damage to them. I don't think I'd ever connect a "too good to be true" cable to any of my cars...

Just pay the price. Good software/hardware costs money. I'd rather pay RT for the genuine thing than go through the BS of ebay refunds, and starting a (embarrassing) thread like this...

Back