Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Made in Canada, eh, where they know a thing or two about cold weather.....
    Speaking of Canada, I'm hundreds of miles Northeast of you guys and we still have no snow

It has been staying unusually cold for us though, around -14c to -16c the past little while. Finally warmed up this morning to a balmy -5c.
    Late build 2006 White Jetta BRM 5spd. Mile eater.

2. Likes Da Tow'd, Boki Ar, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Speaking of Canada, I'm hundreds of miles Northeast of you guys and we still have no snow

It has been staying unusually cold for us though, around -14c to -16c the past little while. Finally warmed up this morning to a balmy -5c.
    Wait, your in Nova Scotia, right? Didn't you guys get pounded by the storm that came up the coast last week?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Wait, your in Nova Scotia, right? Didn't you guys get pounded by the storm that came up the coast last week?
    Nova Scotia, yes sir. We did indeed get the same storm, but it turned into rain by the time it got to us. By Thursday afternoon, it was +9c.
    Winds were still bad, and we lost power for 12 hrs, but that was the extent of it in my area.
    They got a lot of snow further inland, Northern NS, New Brunswick, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha...that's a fairly normal site around here. We bbq all through the winter. I hear that some people actually put them away in the winter??...lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    While we are complaining about the record cold.....

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/flying...e-in-heatwave/

Flying foxes fall from sky after being ‘boiled alive’ in heatwave

By Sam Webb
    The Sun
    January 8, 2018 | 3:52pm

Thousands of flying foxes died in an Australian heatwave so severe it has melted tarmac.

The animals fell from the trees as they were boiled alive in temperatures exceeding 104 degrees Fahrenheit in Campbelltown in New South Wales.

Animal welfare volunteers battled to save the lives of the hundreds of babies and some adults in distress but the death toll is believed to be in the thousands.

A spokesman from the charity Help Save the Wildlife and Bushlands in Campbelltown said: “The efforts of our volunteers yesterday was both heroic and heartbreaking.”

“In extremely trying conditions they worked tirelessly to provide sub-cutaneous fluids to the pups that could be reached and many lives were saved. But sadly many lives were lost too.”

“Hundreds of mainly young flying-foxes were lost to the heat yesterday and the final count could run to thousands.”

The heatwave in three states brought temperatures strong enough to melt the bitumen on a highway and sparked bushfires that destroyed buildings and threatened lives.

A fire raging out of control set several structures ablaze on the outskirts of Melbourne, the country’s second-largest city and the capital of the southeastern state of Victoria as a result of the heatwave.

The state’s emergency management commissioner, Craig Lapsley, said hot temperatures had combined with dry weather, strong winds and a wind change to create dangerous conditions.

“It’s exactly what the forecast indicated and when we have fires running that’s obviously a problem for us,” he told a news conference.

About 400 homes lost power and 50 fires were reported across Victoria on Saturday, although many were small and were extinguished.

Emergency warnings were issued both in Victoria and in the nearby state of South Australia, where authorities advised residents of a rural area to seek shelter in buildings from an out-of-control fire.

9. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    flying-foxes-fall-from-sky-after-being-boiled-alive-in-heatwave
    TIL: there is such a thing as flying foxes and they're made out of dichloromethane .
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

11. Likes vreihen, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not as hot here in NZ, as it is in Aussie! Thank goodness!

It's actually a bit cloudy here:

Last edited by NZDubNurd; 01-08-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is strange, but it seems that snow has "escaped" to places where it has never been. I see him in Sahara, and in my backyard:

This flower usually (I do not know is its name "snowdrop") appears in the spring and announces that the winter is nearing its end. In my country, it's normal that we now have 20 - 30 cm of snow.

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is supposed to go from currently ~60F to less than 20F by tonight, with supposed snow and ice, here in st louis.

they are already closing schools, and colleges (wtf they are adults).

should be fun, we haven't had any snow of substance so far this winter (or last), and I want to take the old 4mo-passat out and play in the snow.

16. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe liked this post