Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    The e-tron is plugged in to recharge the 8.8kW battery to allow 16 miles (per EPA) of EV range.

That's a 12 gauge extension cord that seems to be able to handle the ~1100 watts just fine. Unfortunately, even after running two 20 minute remote HVAC sessions, I still needed to do a bit of scraping:

The main benefit to remote activation of the HVAC (via phone app) is to warm up the coolant with the Z115 PTC heater so that as soon as I actually get in the car to drive away, warm air comes out of the vents immediately. The eGolf goes one step further by having a heated windshield which the e-tron lacks. BTW, the charge rate through the "stenchin' cord" can't quite keep up with the power consumption of the Z115 so it does diminish range a bit. Still worth it.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.

2. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, NEtech, Eric, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to install my "plug-in hybrid" heater into that thing.....

4. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is yours this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-au...ght-60525.html

The e-tron will turn on the HVAC in a binary fashion, it has whatever settings you last had before shutting off the ignition, so I need to get into the habit of having say, temp and fan on high with vents directed to the windshield. In the summertime, the opposite would apply, choose Max A/C before shutting down.

6. Likes Uwe, Eric, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The e-tron will turn on the HVAC in a binary fashion, it has whatever settings you last had before shutting off the ignition, so I need to get into the habit of having say, temp and fan on high with vents directed to the windshield. In the summertime, the opposite would apply, choose Max A/C before shutting down.
    It strikes me as silly that they have a smart-phone app that lets you turn the HVAC on or off, but not adjust the settings.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 01-08-2018 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

8. Likes Boki Ar, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I don't know about you, but I would NEVER leave anything purchased at HF plugged in unattended!

https://www.caframolifestylesolution...ns/true-north/

Made in Canada, eh, where they know a thing or two about cold weather.....

10. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    https://www.caframolifestylesolution...ns/true-north/

Made in Canada, eh, where they know a thing or two about cold weather.....
    I guess if you have an extension cord going to the car anyway....
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

12. Likes vreihen, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I guess if you have an extension cord going to the car anyway....
    Sadly, I can't run the block heater and cab heater on the same long 12/3 cord. When set above stun, the heater above draws 1500 watts by itself. Add another 600 watts or so for the factory block heater, and it's game over even for a 20 amp outlet.

I gave some serious thought to mounting a marine 30 amp shore power inlet through the front bumper, and then mounting two smart outlets in a two-gang box under the hood so that my home automation system could turn on the block/cab heaters individually as needed. (I only use the block heater at -15 C and colder, and the engine doesn't hesitate to start even at -20 C without the block heater.) I also thought about installing a self-retracting reel behind the bumper so that I could simply pull the cord out and plug it into a house outlet when I arrive home, but the Arctic Leash brand is way over-priced and no way am I going to use an HF retractable reel for that kind of current.....

14. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, Andy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about electrifying a winch? Very Alton Brown that way.

16. Likes vreihen, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    It strikes me as silly that they have a smart-phone app that lets you turn the HVAC on or off, but not a dust the settings.
    Sadly several of the apps I use have similar gotchas of a really useful missing feature/option, you have to wonder whether some app developers actually try to use the app in real life?

18. Likes vreihen, Uwe, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased a smart watch band EKG device. The included app did not have a way to save or exit the preferences screen! You don't need Captain Coredump (my alter-ego that embarrasses programmers and their silly mistakes for a living) to spot this one *long* before letting the app ship.....

20. Likes PetrolDave, Boki Ar liked this post