USB-C Cables

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Following the question...
Is there USB-C /// USB-B cable available already?

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Following the question...
Is there USB-C /// USB-B cable available already?

Yup, Belkin sells them. They also have USB-C > anything else.

26168861_1626639700715749_1931431785990508562_n.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Split from Replacement USB Cable

Yup, Belkin sells them. They also have USB-C > anything else.
If that cable works, I'd appreciate it if you'd post the part number.

At some point, RT will probably have a batch made with our HEX-V2 screw-lock on the USB-B end (which is coming to the HEX-NET as well), but so far we haven't seen the enough demand to have a run of them done (the MOQ is in the thousands).

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Split from Replacement USB Cable

If that cable works, I'd appreciate it if you'd post the part number.

At some point, RT will probably have a batch made with our HEX-V2 screw-lock on the USB-B end (which is coming to the HEX-NET as well), but so far we haven't seen the enough demand to have a run of them done (the MOQ is in the thousands).

-Uwe-

Oh yeah it works like a charm. I used to use Apple’s USB-C to USB-A adapter and that occassionally resulted in an ‘interface not found!’ error at VCDS startup. With this cable it works like its supposed to.

Anyway, Belkin partno. is: F2CU035bt06-BLK

Last edited by a moderator:

fzanicotti

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=201619
Oh yeah it works like a charm. I used to use Apple’s USB-C to USB-A adapter and that occassionally resulted in an ‘interface not found!’ error at VCDS startup. With this cable it works like its supposed to.

Anyway, Belkin partno. is: F2CU035bt06-BLK
I second that, this specific cable works really well (seamless).

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I have been using one from InLine (P/N 35762) for quite some time, available in up to 5m (which is technically not supported, I know).
I thought un-boosted USB was specced to 5m, so you can't use a dumb USB extension over 3m as you're tagging a 2m cable onto the end of it, but 5m direct to the interface should be ok?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I thought un-boosted USB was specced to 5m, so you can't use a dumb USB extension over 3m as you're tagging a 2m cable onto the end of it, but 5m direct to the interface should be ok?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling
It's really hard to predict what will and won't work. In principle, all dumb USB extension cables (regardless of length) are prohibited by the USB spec, yet some do work.

A straight 5m cable is allowed by the USB specs. Will it work? That's anyone's guess. One potential factor is voltage drop. E.g: A HEX-NET is rather power hungry. If it's plugged into a car, it will pull 12V power from there. But if you're trying to do an update from a PC w/o it plugged into a car, voltage drop through a long cable can cause problems.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Mike@Gendan: Thanks for the head-up. Not an advantageous purchase for this canard-noir given the exchange rate of Australia's ailing pacific-peso (in either USD, or Pound sterling). Guess I'll stick with my eBay USB converter (which I keep attached by a short length of heat-shrink tubing) - but interesting forex arbitrage opportunity for your countrymen!!

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Uwe: many thanks for the very kind offer - but in truth, I seldom use my USB cable with my trusty HEX-NET dongle (and I kind-of get a sense of deluded achievement using my heath-robinson solution).

Again, I appreciate the gesture

Don

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I must have just purchased (last week) one of the few current laptops with 2 USB-A sockets - a Lenovo Yoga 6 2-in-1 - so my HEX-NET with USB-A cable is a direct plug-in.

The USB-A sockets are even on each side, so there's one suitable whether you drive a LHD or RHD vehicle.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Oh look, my old thread. I really like the idea of owning one, but shy as I am I don't want for free due to over Atlantic shipping costs. :(

aus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238046
Oh my! I need one!
@golfi_vend, maybe if we join tables (pun intended) then we can split shipping costs?! :lol:
OR! We should pay a visit to RT and count this as "business trip".
I believe @Mindfreak is in too.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The USB-A sockets are even on each side, so there's one suitable whether you drive a LHD or RHD vehicle.
Dave: as well as having the rare advantage of living in a country that has made the "right" decision (pun intended) about which car-side to install a steering wheel - what could possibly prompt the insanity of some one with your obvious intelligence to contemplate driving a car that has LHD? :D

My suggestion to stop any such thought - fill the LHD USB sockets on your new laptop with epoxy glue IMMEDIATELY

Don

Last edited:

aus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238046
That's heavily offtopic but (4 digit post count, here I come) I don't have any RHD ports on my Mac. Or at least it's not USB-capable. I can sometimes hear audio coming out of it, but. That's why I haven't never scanned any RHD car as well. Is there difference in CAN communication as well.. I mean does it start from the right side of the car?

• Haha

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
what could possibly prompt the insanity of some one with your obvious intelligence to contemplate driving a car that has LHD? :D
Don: in the past (pre-divorce) visiting step-children in the US 'tricked' me into driving LHD vehicles, but now it will be vacations to continental Europe - so I will still have the need to drive while sitting in the passenger seat :D

esteticu

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=520918
No spam intended.... BUT still, where can we get the OEM type-C cable from Europe? 🙂 Thanks!

Reactions: TTT
Back