Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement USB Cable

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacement USB Cable

My Hex+Can USB cable was damaged last night, and was wondering if it's possible to order a replacement cable and tie.

My dog managed to to snatch the cable from off my desk while we were away and the rest was history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vojr86 View Post
    My Hex+Can USB cable was damaged last night, and was wondering if it's possible to order a replacement cable and tie.
    There are usually two options:

1) Send it in to Ross-Tech for flat-rate repair. This will cost a bit, but not nearly as much as replacing the interface.

2) Repair it yourself, with a replacement USB cable supplied by Ross-Tech. Much cheaper but does require you (or a friend) do a bit of soldering.

I hesitate to give certain costs or availability because the HEX-USB+CAN has been discontinued for about a year now. But, I think it's very likely Ross-Tech will still have both repair options available. Ross-Tech support is still out for the holiday season, returning tomorrow. Bump this thread again later this week if you don't see a reply from them Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes Dana, evenflow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My dog managed to to snatch the cable from off my desk while we were away and the rest was history.
    Please post a picture of the dog (with a guilty look on his face) next to the chewed cable.

Yes, I'm serious, this will get you a better deal on a replacement or repair.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes NZDubNurd, Viking, evenflow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I hesitate to give certain costs or availability because the HEX-USB+CAN has been discontinued for about a year now. But, I think it's very likely Ross-Tech will still have both repair options available.
    Absolutely!

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Please post a picture of the dog (with a guilty look on his face) next to the chewed cable.

Yes, I'm serious, this will get you a better deal on a replacement or repair.

-Uwe-
    Ask and you shall receive

8. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, NZDubNurd, raf0468, Eric and 9 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paging Jack@European_Parts, this will need a bit of cropping, but I've found your new forum avatar...
    Silence gives consent.

10. Likes Uwe, Dana, Santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, dog looks like it's learned a big lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can you do the repair yourself if we send you a replacement cable assembly or do you want us to do it?

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

Can you do the repair yourself if we send you a replacement cable assembly or do you want us to do it?

-Uwe-
    I can tackle the soldering job so the replacement cable would be perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is the address we shipped your cable to back in 2014 (S. Harmon Ln) still good?

-Uwe-