Thread: Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program

After a period of unuse, I found out that my VCDS/HEX-NET no longer works. Whenever I try to run VCDS Interface Config V2.241, no interface is shown in the interface list. Instead, "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program" error message is displayed at the bottom of the window.

VCDS (17.8.1) port test returns "Port Status: OK" and "Interface: Found!" for both USB and WiFi connections.

The HEX-NET interface works fine in an older Windows 10 laptop.

I tried to search this issue in the forum but found no relevant information. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the software and also tried driver disable/enable, but to no avail.

Configuration: Acer Aspire V3-371/Win10 Home 64-bit

What could be holding up the interface or driver?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiH View Post
    The HEX-NET interface works fine in an older Windows 10 laptop.
    If it works on a different computer, then it seems to me this problem is specific to the one computer, rather than the interface.

The HEX-NET enumerates as an HID device. There have been some rare reports of having to beat the Windows HID drivers into submission, but I don't have details handy at the moment.

Try this please: With the HEX-NET not plugged into the problem computer, open Device Manager. Then plug in the HEX-NET. Does anything appear when you plug it in? Does anything disappear when you unplug it again?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    And also test (shutdown) your virus scanner, or other similar programs.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disabled the Microsoft Defender Firewall as well as the F-Secure Internet Security, no effect. This was expected as those apps usually inform about blocking actions and there was no event thrown.

It's definitely a computer-specific problem. The other computer I mentioned belongs to the lady of the house, so I'd better get this running again on my own laptop.

Plugging in the HEX-NET adds two devices under the Human Interface Devices section: "HID-compliant vendor-specific device" and "Ross-Tech HEX-NET Interface". Looking at the events in "HID-compliant..." there is a "Device not migrated" event telling that "Device HID\VID_0483&PID_AA0F\7&1daf40fd&3&0000 was not migrated due to partial or ambigious match. Last Device Instance ID: USB \VID_093A&PID_2510\6&35c5aea4&0&2".

Unplugging the HEX-NET removes those two devices from the HID section.

I uninstalled the VCDS and its two drivers in Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a Program. After that I plugged in the HEX-NET resulting two new entries in the Device Manager HID section: "HID-compliant vendor-defined device" and "USB Input Device". So even after removing all VCDS components Windows still seems to recognize the interface and supply drivers for it.

I guess this is a Windows Registry problem and I'll probably do some "creative" Registry hacking before resorting to painful operating system re-installation.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't able to fully remove the VCDS references in Windows Registry so I decided to re-install Win10. Surprisingly it took only 45 minutes and also removed all bloatware to my pleasure. The only application not wiped out was VCDS...

On starting VCDS the operating system searched for the HEX-NET drivers, installed them and now VCDS/HEX-NET runs properly.

Case closed.

7. Likes Andy, Eric, Uwe liked this post