Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program

AnttiH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295092
After a period of unuse, I found out that my VCDS/HEX-NET no longer works. Whenever I try to run VCDS Interface Config V2.241, no interface is shown in the interface list. Instead, "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program" error message is displayed at the bottom of the window.

VCDS (17.8.1) port test returns "Port Status: OK" and "Interface: Found!" for both USB and WiFi connections.

The HEX-NET interface works fine in an older Windows 10 laptop.

I tried to search this issue in the forum but found no relevant information. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the software and also tried driver disable/enable, but to no avail.

Configuration: Acer Aspire V3-371/Win10 Home 64-bit

What could be holding up the interface or driver?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If it works on a different computer, then it seems to me this problem is specific to the one computer, rather than the interface.

The HEX-NET enumerates as an HID device. There have been some rare reports of having to beat the Windows HID drivers into submission, but I don't have details handy at the moment.

Try this please: With the HEX-NET not plugged into the problem computer, open Device Manager. Then plug in the HEX-NET. Does anything appear when you plug it in? Does anything disappear when you unplug it again?

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
And also test (shutdown) your virus scanner, or other similar programs.

Reactions: Uwe

AnttiH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295092
I disabled the Microsoft Defender Firewall as well as the F-Secure Internet Security, no effect. This was expected as those apps usually inform about blocking actions and there was no event thrown.

It's definitely a computer-specific problem. The other computer I mentioned belongs to the lady of the house, so I'd better get this running again on my own laptop.

Plugging in the HEX-NET adds two devices under the Human Interface Devices section: "HID-compliant vendor-specific device" and "Ross-Tech HEX-NET Interface". Looking at the events in "HID-compliant..." there is a "Device not migrated" event telling that "Device HID\VID_0483&PID_AA0F\7&1daf40fd&3&0000 was not migrated due to partial or ambigious match. Last Device Instance ID: USB \VID_093A&PID_2510\6&35c5aea4&0&2".

Unplugging the HEX-NET removes those two devices from the HID section.

I uninstalled the VCDS and its two drivers in Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a Program. After that I plugged in the HEX-NET resulting two new entries in the Device Manager HID section: "HID-compliant vendor-defined device" and "USB Input Device". So even after removing all VCDS components Windows still seems to recognize the interface and supply drivers for it.

I guess this is a Windows Registry problem and I'll probably do some "creative" Registry hacking before resorting to painful operating system re-installation.

AnttiH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295092
I wasn't able to fully remove the VCDS references in Windows Registry so I decided to re-install Win10. Surprisingly it took only 45 minutes and also removed all bloatware to my pleasure. The only application not wiped out was VCDS...

On starting VCDS the operating system searched for the HEX-NET drivers, installed them and now VCDS/HEX-NET runs properly.

Case closed.

msb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61573
I purchased an upgrade from my HEX-CAN usb to HEX-NET WiFi figuring that eventually I'll need it and the thought of being able to use my Android tablet to go read codes w/ VCDS Mobile was appealing. It read fine, but I got some unknown codes (RODs missing) and since the tablet does not have a SIM (i.e. not a phone) and the WiFi was in Access Point since my car doesn't fit inside the house to get a signal from my house WiFi (something about a concrete house with rebar every 6" & Faraday cage). Not a problem thought I, putting the HEX-NET into infrastructure mode and attaching it to one of my 4 functional PC's in the house via USB to power it. Connected fine, PC recognized the USB device, loaded drivers, and in VCDS v19.6.2: Hit test:
Found
type Hex-Net
ver CB: 0.4508.4
FW 0.256
WiFi: 310C
CAN Testing, K1: no power etc

Hit SAVE
In Options: Config - in User interface, it shows my info. Great. .... Then - oops
In Options: Config - in Port and protocol options: USB, click Config get blank Config v2.248 screen w/ text at bottom: "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program. " When hitting Refresh interface, nothing comes up.
The select interface dropdown is blank, I can't scan for wifi (not surprising), etc.

My wife's car is throwing code 019226 and the HEX-NET said it was an unknown ROD fault code.

Try as I might, disabling firewall, uninstalling Norton 360 did nothing. However, I booted an old PC that had Win-10 Pro 32bit build 1607, and the HN1-022757 came up in the Interface via USB, and I updated the RODs and it's now at CB 0.4513.4 after update & it's the DPF that is throwing the code. Figuring that I might as well patch the PC, I let it go overnight to build 1903. Still worked. However, pushing build 1909 onto it, broke it, and I'm now back to the blank Config v2.248 screen w/ text at bottom: "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program. "

I have a Win 7 Pro - 32bit set of backup disks for the same PC. Swapping them, ignoring the Activation notice, VCDS works fine and the HN1-022757 came up in the Interface via USB.

Ergo - Win10-64bit or 32bit build 1909 breaks the VCDS-config HEX-NET interface detection. Not sure how / what but I have another reason yet to hate Microsoft's SAS direction. If you have any other ideas to figure out how to get 1909 to work, I'm all ears though I'm set to work for a couple of weeks in MO before heading off to work in Germany for a few weeks so time will be short.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ergo - Win10-64bit or 32bit build 1909 breaks the VCDS-config HEX-NET interface detection. Not sure how / what but I have another reason yet to hate Microsoft's SAS direction. If you have any other ideas to figure out how to get 1909 to work, I'm all ears though I'm set to work for a couple of weeks in MO before heading off to work in Germany for a few weeks so time will be short.
Well that's gonna be fun to reproduce. I just checked the build info on my 64-bit W10 Pro that claims to be fully up-to-date and it's still at 1903.

Is 1909 actually "released" at this point?

-Uwe-

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
On the tablet I use for VCDS I'm running 64-bit W10 on their Insider Program Fast Lane so have been using Build 1909 for some months now with no problems, so I don't think it's a problem inherent to the W10 'beta' version.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
1909 has been public for a few weeks now. relax Uwe, not your fault, seems like 1909 brought up a lot of issues with all kind of hardware. I have a computer where wifi doesn't work anymore and a laptop where the SD card reader stopped working.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I wonder if "after pushing 1909" into it, it might be necessary to do the HID fix again?

The cleanest way to do that would be to run the installer again and make sure that "Fix Windows HID power mgmt for HN and HV2" is checked on the "Choose Components" screen. (I would expect it to be checked by default on Windows 10).

I think it's worth a try in any case.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
FWIW, I updated one of our Show/Demo laptops to Build 1909 this evening and I'm not seeing a problem...

dMXKMF5.png

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
VCDS runs fine on W10 Build 1909 even on my MacBook using Parallels!!!

p3Lab

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=386543
After a period of unuse, I found out that my VCDS/HEX-NET no longer works. Whenever I try to run VCDS Interface Config V2.241, no interface is shown in the interface list. Instead, "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program" error message is displayed at the bottom of the window.

VCDS (17.8.1) port test returns "Port Status: OK" and "Interface: Found!" for both USB and WiFi connections.

I tried to search this issue in the forum but found no relevant information. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the software and also tried driver disable/enable, but to no avail.

Configuration: Acer Aspire V3-371/Win10 Home 64-bit

What could be holding up the interface or driver?
Good day all,

Just to update you. I had the same issue where the interface (HEX-V2) could not be detected stating "Unable to open interface, it may be in use by another program". I made sure that the latest version of VCDS was installed and had the same issue on both my laptop and home PC. Andy Smith from Ross-Tech suggested I reboot the PC into safe mode (make sure you select "with networking") and this solved the issue. I could finally update the interface and register my account.

I decided to post this as I could not find (not the best user of internet forums mind you) any solution to the issue. This may help future users.

Thanks for the great product guys!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Andy Smith from Ross-Tech suggested I reboot the PC into safe mode (make sure you select "with networking") and this solved the issue. I could finally update the interface and register my account.
In that case, something that's getting loaded during a normal start-up is blocking things. You can try selectively disabling things with MSCONFIG to find out what it is.

-Uwe-

p3Lab

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=386543
In that case, something that's getting loaded during a normal start-up is blocking things. You can try selectively disabling things with MSCONFIG to find out what it is.

-Uwe-
That may be the case, my benevolent dictator.

Be it as it may, I don't have an issue when using my interface on my Audi. It works perfectly fine. I could not register and update it. Now that I'm registered, I'll pop into safe mode when it requires an update.

Regards and keep up the great product.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Be it as it may, I don't have an issue when using my interface on my Audi. It works perfectly fine. I could not register and update it. Now that I'm registered, I'll pop into safe mode when it requires an update.
OK, but it sure would be nice if you (and we!) knew what it was. :thanks:

-Uwe-

p3Lab

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=386543
OK, but it sure would be nice if you (and we!) knew what it was. :thanks:

-Uwe-
I suppose that is true. When next I have some time available again, I will play with my system and disable some elements via MSCONFIG to see if we can figure it out. I'll keep you posted.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This is often caused by another program grabbing the device. I would test disabling any antivirus software as well as any touchpad/mouse software you might have running and then see if it works. You can also try disabling startup programs, or booting into safe mode if you need a temporary way to apply an update.

Back