Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 GTI (Canadian) - TPMS import to USA

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe. That is very helpful. I somewhat understood that there was some kind of hardware difference, and the Comfort Control Module being a part of that (and the tire pressure sensors).
    Now I see that those CCMs are for sale online. And it looks like a simple plug/change out. I'm sure I can find the location and also by the tire pressure sensors.

We've contacted all of the Registered Importers and many dealers (as well as VW of America). Nobody is able to assist or even give us a quote to retrofit. It looks pretty simple. I might just buy a used CCM off ebay and see if the Autoscan picks up on Address 65. If it does, then I can probably take it to VW to have them scan it and provide a letter of conformity.

Can you think of any reason that I shouldn't try this? Like is there a strong chance that something else would get messed up?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have received the new CCM 1K0 959 433 CT.
    I will attempt to install it via these instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLd9TUGa5Hw

If somebody has happened to had there glove compartment off with a view of their CCM (same model, USA MK5 GTI), can you post a photo? I'm curious to know how many wire sets you have plugged into your CCM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump. Wondering if there is any reason that I shouldn't swap the CA (Canada) CCM for the CT (USA) CCM.
    Will I harm anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't think of any reason why that would be a problem.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    I would say adding tpms to mk5 is too simple to stress about it.

Change CCM and add sensors. Do the coding and should be enough.
    Autoscan would be helpful.
    Why are You stressing?
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stressing because VWofA is no help. I have to have a letter of compliance in order to import with Customs and Border Patrol. I do not think I'll even be able to get the letter of compliance because when I ask them where I can get CCM and sensors installed so that they can authenticate and provide letter of conformity, they have no answer.
    So at this point, I'm desperate and about to do this myself. It doesn't seem that difficult, but there is no guarantee that CBP will allow the import without something official from VW.

Indirect TPMS is working and confirmed. But according to NHSTA import rules, the TPMS must be the same as OEM. We already tried to import, but were unsuccessful when we showed them the Indirect.

So the next question... I don't have VCDS myself. A friend has helped me. I forgot that the Indirect TPMS is still coded ON. If I add the CCM (USA with Direct TPMS), what do you think will happen?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So next question (CCM swap is fine)... with the new CCM (1K0 959 433 CT) that I installed, I'd also like to use the exact OEM tire pressure sensors. I reviewed the Autoscan posted by UWE to see if the OEM tire pressure sensor part number was listed, but I don't see anything. I will have to research (on ebay, I'm seeing many that state they are for GTI MK5), but if anybody knows the tire pressure sensor PN off a USA based GTI 2008 MK5... please let me know.

More info...

Well, the installation of the CCM went well. It is installed. Now just have to meet with anybody in San Diego that has VCDS to get an Autoscan (I'm trying to coordinate with my friend)... so if there is anybody in North County San Diego that is willing to help... please contact me.

The cables are the exact same (just two). The CCMs are slightly different (see photo).

The TPMS indicator on dash is illuminated... likely error condition because no sensors at tires. Gonna get scan first to be sure module 65 Direct TPMS is there in Autoscan (assuming it is but want to confirm).

Then I will source some OEM sensors and take to DTire to install/mount/balance.
    About $25/tire is what they charge.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hGVHNGRG43cTJ3
    Last edited by Uwe; 08-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have spoken too soon. After swapping the CCM, the truck and fuel door/gas cap control seem to be swapped. Using the key FOB for trunk unlock actually opens the fuel door/gas cap. Using the drivers door buttons to open fuel door/gas cap unlocks the trunk and trunk opens fuel door.

When trying to open the trunk with VW emblem/handle, it doesn't open trunk but instead opens fuel door.

Hmm. Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no real idea about US laws, but clearly to have any letter You must have this system up and running.

But for Your problems, I think perhaps this CCM came from Jetta and is coded for it. You need a VCDS to code Your old coding to CCM and enable bits for TPMS.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. So would it be easy to re-code the CCM? I have no idea how to do it. Is it kind of like updating firmware on a computer? Where would I find the 2008 USA GTI MK5 VCDS code for the CCM?

Or am I just better off finding a CCM that I know came off of a MK5 GTI USA? Seems like it.

I guess I should have known that there could be a part used on multiple models of VWs and that the programming could be different. My mistake.