Thread: Big Brother is watching...

Post Thanks / Like

Big Brother is watching...

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/13/ch...-bbc-reporter/

China’s CCTV surveillance network took just 7 minutes to capture BBC reporter

Posted Dec 13, 2017
    by Jon Russell (@jonrussell)

It took Chinese authorities just seven minutes to locate and apprehend BBC reporter John Sudworth using its powerful network of CCTV camera and facial recognition technology.

This wasn’t a case of a member of the media being forcibly removed from the country. The chase was a stunt set up to illustrate just how powerful and effective the Chinese government’s surveillance system can be. It’s a stark example of the type of monitoring that China has invested heavily in over recent years with the aim of helping police do their job more efficiently.

Such systems are also used in private organizations, for example to monitor workers and processes in factories, but government critics have warned of the potential for abuse in the hands of the state.

China has the largest monitoring system in the world. There are some 170 million CCTV cameras across the country, and that’s tipped to grow more than three-fold with 400 million more set to be installed by 2020.

Beyond the sheer numbers of lookout points, China is harvesting information with a new-found focus on intelligence. The government also works with facial recognition and AI companies, such as unicorn Face++, which can pour through data to extract meaningful information such as faces, ages, registration plates and more.

The full video of Sudworth’s ‘capture’ is on the BBC website, with a snippet is below — hat-tip The Next Web.

How long can a BBC reporter stay hidden from CCTV cameras in China? @TheJohnSudworth has been given rare access to put the world's largest surveillance system to the test pic.twitter.com/vLGQYN7ZB9

— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) December 10, 2017

2. Likes Uwe, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to be clicking something other than "like" here.

4. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, vreihen, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are all being watched, one way or another. This Podcast is about a topic that is getting harder and harder to dismiss. Its worth a listen if you're into that kind of stuff.

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/109-facebook-spying/

My wife and I were in Best Buy a few nights ago, and we were discussing Office365 with the sales rep while inside. We weren't off the property 5 minutes, and I received an email notifying me of all the exciting features of Office365. Coincidence? Maybe so, but stuff like that is happening more often these days. Now, I understand that my mobile phone is tracking me, and of course it knew I was in Best Buy....but how did it know we were talking about Office365 if it wasn't listening to our conversation? Paranoid much?...lol.

I can't even blame social media sites like Facebook or Instagram...I don't have them on my phone, and I don't have accounts with either one otherwise.
    Late build 2006 White Jetta BRM 5spd. Mile eater.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    as much as I like my phones and gadgets, its almost getting to the point where AIRPLANE mode should be on when not using the internet or sending/waiting for a call/text.

7. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bluetooth, wifi, and location services off for sure.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Bluetooth, wifi, and location services off for sure.....
    Location via cell towers is still pretty good. Apple proved that 10 years ago with the original iPhone, which didn't have an actual GPS receiver.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Location via cell towers is still pretty good. Apple proved that 10 years ago with the original iPhone, which didn't have an actual GPS receiver.
    In the early 1990's we (in our test lab) were able to show that it was possible to locate a GSM (2G) phone within 35 metres (yards) using data freely available to the network operator.

11. Likes vreihen, Uwe liked this post