HEX NET in beta status

badgerden

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248910
I really appreciate that a path is provided for non-windows users via HEX NET. After I bought my Audi and the salesperson tipped my off to VCDS, I was disappointed to see it required windows. Fortunately my son had a windows laptop for school, so I could see the software. Then I read about HEX NET. But HEX NET has been in beta for what seems to me to be a long time. I've read the pdfs your provide for VCDS to learn how to use the product, but it is very different from the browser based app that we from the dark side use. I understand from having done software engineering professionally that documentation is the worst part of the job, but it would sure be nice to have a pdf to read that actually is pointed to the VCDS app that I must use on my ipad. On the plus side, you people are the best at responding quickly when help is needed. Never have seen better service in that regard. Thank you!
Several times I've read that if one of us feels something needs attention that all we need to do is let you know. Well, I think the newer S5 owners like myself would appreciate a link to a comprehensive list of codeable options instead of poking around other forums. The list of supported models lists the S5, but it doesn't link to anything like the others do.
You know, when you have time I mean.
Thanks again,
GB

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The HEX-NET in not in Beta -- at least not as an interface for VCDS, either direct connected via USB or via WiFi.

What's still in Beta is VCDS-Mobile.

We've tried to keep the user-interface for VCDS-Mobile as similar to VCDS as possible (within the constraints of running in a browser on a small screen), so that anyone familiar with VCDS will be able to use VCDS-Mobile without needing to refer to any documentation. A real, separate manual for VCDS-Mobile will not be high on our priority list until we think VCDS-Mobile is ready to no longer be called a "Beta". I'm not sure when that will be. TBH, with the plethora of really inexpensive Windows devices out there now (that we had not anticipated when VCDS-Mobile was first envisioned), I'm not sure how relevant it really is.

Oh, and the "app" that you're using on your iPad is not essential at all. It just wraps itself around a browser-view and helps you find the interface. You could just as easily type your HEX-NET's IP address into a browser's address bar and use VCDS-Mobile that way.

As for a detailed list of mods for any particular model, the proliferation of models and their complexity (and variation based on equipment/trim levels) makes that increasingly difficult. You might be better off pursuing a model-specific forum (or sub-section) for that.

-Uwe-

Back