Thread: Optical Bus Diagnostic - Unsure how to proceed

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Optical Bus Diagnostic - Unsure how to proceed

Hi all,

I'm a completely newbie, and just purchased a Hex V2 to diagnose some issues with my Mum's car. She has a 2007 A6 C6.

She had problems with the rear wiper and took it to the bloke up the road who is good with mechanics but not electrical side of things. He said he had found the boot area was very damp and dried it out, but long story short it came back with no working MMI/radio/satnav etc.

After some research I believe I needed to check what component on the MOST loop jobby was no longer working. I ran the Optical Bus Diagnostic and it came up with errors on the sound system and radio:

Code:
    Control Module Part Number: 4F0 910 468 A
      Component and/or Version: Gateway         H10 0060

Optical Bus Diagnostic : Standard

Controller          	Electrical          	Optical             
    19-CAN Gateway      	OK                  	OK                  
    07-Control Head(High/D3)	OK                  	OK                  
    0E-Media Player 1   	OK                  	OK                  
    47-Sound System     	ERROR               	ERROR               
    56-Radio            	OK                  	ERROR               
    37-Navigation       	OK                  	OK
    An Auto-Scan also reported loads of electrical issues, but the car has always been a bit funny on the electrics so I think unrelated. I may start another thread about that once I've got this fixed and cleared everything.

I think it may be that the amplifier on the boot got water damaged?

I also ordered a MOST loop bypass, which I believe would let me isolate and confirm the component that is not working. Would the amplifier be the correct thing to bypass? I assume I just unplug the amplifier and plug in the bypass?

Any help greatly appreciated. VCDS is an amazing tool but there is a lot to learn!

2. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, based on the above, I'm fairly confident that the problem is the 47-Sound System (Amplifier) module. Use the optical loop to bypass it to see if the rest of the MMI then works. Of course, you won't have any sound in that condition, but then you'll have narrowed down the problem for sure.

After that, check power and ground to the the module...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Dana, iichel liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great. Thanks for the help. I'll see how I do. Appreciated (and thanks for VCDS!).

6. Likes Dana, Jack@European_Parts liked this post