01 Jetta Unusual Temperature

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS, 2.0 AZG Engine. Manual Transmission.

Ok i know this sounds as stupid as it looks. But i had one hell of an unusual issue today while driving. My Jetta suddenly dropped down to 0 on the Temperature gauge and the Heat stoped blowing hot, so i turned off the heat and turned it down to cold I noticed the temperature coming right back up, and the heat is able to blow again. I turn the heat back on and it does it again... so i do the same thing and once again it comes back to normal operating temperature and stays there like nothing ever happened and i was able to leave the heat on for quiet some time. I have no idea what the heck happened. Coolant was still full and proper, no coolant hoses popped off, everything looks normal. Any suggestions?

Extra Notes: It did have a P1296 but that cleared as soon as it started acting normal again

Last edited:

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
Well it sure was the craziest thing I've ever happen. Ive never heard of a Thermostat temporarily sticking open. Also thanks for moving the thread i wasn't able to delete it. Ill defiantly have to change the coolant and the Thermostat as well. It scared the bajeebers out of me because this has happened once before, but instead a Coolant hose blew completely off and the gauge didnt go to Zero til The Oil Light came on, but that was an 1995 VW Jetta.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS, 2.0 AZG Engine. Manual Transmission.

Ok i know this sounds as stupid as it looks. But i had one hell of an unusual issue today while driving. My Jetta suddenly dropped down to 0 on the Temperature gauge and the Heat stoped blowing hot, so i turned off the heat and turned it down to cold I noticed the temperature coming right back up, and the heat is able to blow again. I turn the heat back on and it does it again... so i do the same thing and once again it comes back to normal operating temperature and stays there like nothing ever happened and i was able to leave the heat on for quiet some time. I have no idea what the heck happened. Coolant was still full and proper, no coolant hoses popped off, everything looks normal. Any suggestions?

Extra Notes: It did have a P1296 but that cleared as soon as it started acting normal again

I think you might of just found your P0420 code being sporadic too......... :p

No heat = no proper exothermic reaction!

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?12152-2001-VW-Jetta-Catalytic-Problem

Please also try the fattening of the fuel trim output using FPR & to see how it effects amplitude of the CAT test after sorting the T-stat.

0x01-04-046

Last edited:

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Time to check fluid level. Could also be a possible water pump impeller or propeller whatever you want to call it. While you have the thermostat off inspect if the impeller on the water pump spins. Also there is a possibility of combustion entering the cooling system creating a pocket of air.

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
Close thread, issue was resolved.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
it would be proper to tell us ur fix before saying "Close thread, issue was resolved"

Reactions: Uwe
Back