Retrofitting cupholder light to Jan 2014 Audi A3 8V

adamal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174908
Thanks again Don. The OEM method allows dimming to be controlled via the MMI, separately from the footwell lights, so I think if I select fussraumlicht, won't that separate control will be compromised? Presumably there is something I can use here that is related to the "front" option in the background lighting MMI menu?

Thanks
Adam

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks again Don. The OEM method allows dimming to be controlled via the MMI, separately from the footwell lights, so I think if I select fussraumlicht, won't that separate control will be compromised? Presumably there is something I can use here that is related to the "front" option in the background lighting MMI menu?

Thanks
Adam

Adam: My apology for not being clearer in my previous explanation of Leuchte-programming.

Of course I have no direct knowledge of what the boffins at VAG had in mind when they developed the "Leuchte" system of adaptation channels and my attempts to explain are just the vague mental meanderings of a rank amateur. But, from my observations it seems that the BCM manages lighting on MQB vehicles by looking at input lighting signals and then separately deciding how to control the output pins on the 3 x sockets. As a gross simplification of what I suspect is a quite sophisticated set of electronic-hardware/software interactions, whenever the input conditions for a Leuchte-command (like "footwell") are satisfied - the BCM then looks at the 35 x Leuchte-sets for the command fussraumlicht. Wherever it sees this command, the BCM switches-on the pin that is associated with that Leuchte-set.

Again as a gross simplification and ignoring how the BCM resolves priority clashes when multiple Leuchte-commands are energized at the same time, there appears to be no distinction between "front" and "background" lighting in any particular Leuchte command. Instead, whenever there is an intentional need to separate what happens at the front/rear of the any part of the vehicle, a different Leuchte-set (and therefore, pin#) is used.

For example, if we take the Blinken rechts Hellphase (Flashing Rightlight) command that you used to confirm the operation of pin #3, socket C. This same Leuchte-command is applied to the 2 x Leuchte-sets for the front right-side turn-signal lamp and the rear right-side turn-signal lamp. Whenever you operate the blinker stalk to the right, the BCM energizes the 2 x pins for both front/rear right side turn-signal lamps. The BCM doesn't particularity care which pins it energizes - it's the implicit rationale in the programming of the Leuchte-sets that is responsible for steering the BCM's decision as to which pins are activated. Hope this makes sense - English is my second language (I'm much better with Italian ;))

That said, I have never understood the difference between the 5 x settings:

Ambient lighting 1
Ambient lighting 2
Ambient lighting 3
Ambient lighting 4
Ambient lighting 5

My suspicion (guess really) is that these settings distinguish different input lighting conditions - just like all the other Leuchte-commands. I would welcome the advice of others here regarding these intriguing settings

Don

Last edited:

adamal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174908
Don
Your English is far better than mine, let alone my Italian!!!

Thanks once again. I now have a clearer understanding of these channels which is down to you, an amateur you may be but a very good and helpful one.

Back to the point, I think it was me who caused confusion. The input lighting signal for the cupholder is the brightness set in the MMI for background lighting but for a different selection to footwell light (termed "front"). There are options for front, footwell and door available. So taking that onboard my first reaction is that one of the commands relates to this. I would have thought it was one of the ambientreicht channels but I tried them all with no voltage.

Do you have a list of all the commands by any chance? I could run that through google translate and see if one is a possibility.

However, on cars with Xenons, the wiring diagram suggests its pin 46 of socket B. that controls the cupholder. What is interesting is that there is no leuchte channel in my admap for B46. So perhaps its not a leuchte channel that controls it after all unless these channels vary by BCM, but from what you say thats not the case....

I feel close but not quite smoking the cigar!!

Thanks
Adam

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ here's the full listing of settings (I haven't updated this in a while - there might be some new settings in you car). Also I suspect that I need to give attribution to TBAx for most of this early work - he/she is a real Leuchte deity!! :
Code:
ID	German Setting (English)
1	nicht aktiv 	(not active)
2	aktiv 100% 	(active 100%)
3	Blinken links Hellphase 	(Flashing left light phase)
4	Blinken links Dunkelphase 	(Flashing left dark phase)
5	Blinken rechts Hellphase 	(Flashing right light phase)
6	Blinken rechts Dunkelphase 	(Flashing right dark phase)
7	Blinken links aktiv (beide Phasen) 	(Flashing left active (both phases))
8	Blinken rechts aktiv (beide Phasen)	(Flashing right active (both phases))
9	Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht) 	(Parking light general (bottom; position light, parking light))
10	Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re) 	(Left parking light (two-sided parking light activated left & right)	)
11	Parklicht rechts 	(Right parking light)
12	Abblendlicht links 	(Left dipped beam)
13	Abblendlicht rechts 	(Right dipped beam)
14	Fernlicht links	(Main beam left)
15	Fernlicht rechts 	(High beam right)
16	Lichthupe generell 	(Flash generally)
17	Lichthupe bei bereits aktivem Abblendlicht oder bereits aktivem Dauerfahrlicht 	(Flasher with already active dimmed headlights or already active long-term driving light)
18	Lichthupe bei nicht aktivem Abblendlicht oder bereits aktivem Dauerfahrlicht 	(Flasher with not active dimmed headlights or already active long-term driving light)
19	Nebellicht links 	(Fog light left)
20	Nebellicht rechts 	(Fog light right)
21	Tagfahrlicht 	(Daytime running lights)
22	Dauerfahrlicht 	(Daytime running lights)
23	Abbiegelichts rlinks	(Cornering light left)
24	Abbiegelichts rechts 	(Cornering light right)
25	Bremslicht 	(Brake light)
26	Rückfahrlicht	(Reverse light)
27	Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt 	(Rear fog light when no trailer attached)
28	Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt und Rechtsverkehr 	(Rear fog light when no trailer attached and right-hand traffic)
29	Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt und Linksverkehr 	(Rear fog light when no trailer attached and left-hand traffic)
30	Fernlicht über Assistent aktiviert 	(High beam assistant activated)
31	Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv 	(Coming Home Leaving Home or active)
32	Standlicht vorn (Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht) 	(Auxiliary light (position light, parking light))
33	Nebelschlusslicht auch wenn ein Anhaenger gesteckt 	(Rear fog light even when trailer fitted)
34	Heckdeckel offen	(Trunk lid open)
35	Heckdeckel geschlossen 	(Trunk lid closed	)
36	CCP-Lichtfunktion: Nach Kl.30-Reset auf 0 initialisiert und ueber CCP aenderbar 	(CCP-light function: After Terminal 30 reset is initialized to 0 and can be changed via CCP)
37	Quittierungsfunktion 1	(Acknowledge 1)
38	Klemme 30G 	(Terminal 30G)
39	Dimmung Klemme 58xs 	(Dimming terminal 58xs)
40	Dimmung Klemme 58xt 	(Dimming terminal 58xt )
41	Klemme 15 mit Nachlauf bis Fahrzeugstillstand 	(Terminal 15 with a lag after vehicle standstill)
42	Innenlicht 	(Interior light)
43	Kofferraumlicht	(Trunk light)
44	Fussraumlicht	(Footwell light)
45	Ambientelicht 1 	(Ambient lighting 1)
46	Ambientelicht 2	 (Ambient lighting 2)
47	Ambientelicht 3 	(Ambient lighting 3)
48	Ambientelicht 4 	(Ambient lighting 4)
49	Ambientelicht 5 	(Ambient lighting 5)
50	Umfeldbeleuchtung 	(Ambient lighting)
51	Tuerausstiegslicht hinten links 	(Door entry light rear left)
52	Tuerausstiegslicht hinten rechts 	(Door entry light rear right)
53	Fahrzeug mit Automatik Start-Stopp ist im Stopp-Modu(s) 	(Vehicle with automatic start-stop is in stop Modu (s))
54	Klemme 75 Variante a_vfzg 	(Terminal 75 variant a_vfzg )
55	Tuerausstiegslicht vorne links 	(Door exit light front left)
56	Tuerausstiegslicht vorne rechts 	(Door exit light front right)
57	Tuerausstiegslicht links 	(Door entry light left)
58	Tuerausstiegslicht rechts 	(Door entry light right	)
59	beidseitiges Dauerparklicht 	(Both sides permanent parking light)
60	Klemme 75 Variante vfzg 	(Terminal 75 variant vfzg )
61	Blinken links aktiv (beide Phasen);Auf- und Abdimmend mit p_t_blinken_rampe	(Flashing left active (both phases);Dimming up and down with p_t_ flash ramp)
62	Blinken rechts aktiv (beide Phasen);  Auf- und Abdimmend mit p_t_blinken_rampe	(Flashing right active (both phases);Dimming up and down with p_t_ flash ramp)
63	Schlusslicht aktiv ohne Bremslicht aktiv;ist deaktiviert;wenn Bremslicht aktiv ist !!!	(Taillight active  without stop light; disabled if the brake light is active !!!)
64	Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken 	(Active flashing function Bit1 is set t associated in pa_ dynamic_flash )
65	Motorraumlicht	(Engine compartment light)
66	Fahrzeug ist nicht fahrbereit (Motor läuft nicht; Elektroantrieb nicht aktiv o.ä.) 	(Vehicle is not roadworthy (electric drive not active or similar, engine is not running))
67	Handbremse ist angezogen	(Hand brake is applied)
68	Klemme 15 ohne Nachlauf	(Terminal 15 without running)
69	Debug-Lichtfunktion (in Anlehnung an CCP)	(Debug light function (based on CCP))
70	Debug-Lichtfunktion Fehlerspeicher	(Debug light function error memory)
71	Versorgungsbedarf der LCM Module	(Supply requirements of the LCM modules)
72	Terminal 58xd dimmer	(Terminal 58xd dimmer)
73	Zuschaltung Trennrelais für 2. Batterie	(Switching cut-off relay for 2nd battery)

Don

Last edited:

adamal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174908
Thanks again Don. Will take a look this week.

adamal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174908
I see there is a possible option in "umfeldbeleuchtung" which is "environmental lighting" - will give it a try and see if it delivers when the wife is not using the car...

adamal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174908
Ah well no joy with that setting so I have settled for using the footwell option and controlling its brightness together with the actual footwell lights in the MMI. I'd still love to know if anyone has control over their front ambience lighting separately - none of the ambientelicht options seemed to set a suitable voltage for me.

Ronaldo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=357813
Sorry for bringing back an old topic but I've recently retrofitted the LED cupholder light in my A3 8V and couldn't find a way to control its brightness through the Ambient Lights controls in the MMI. My cupholder light wiring is connected to T46b pin 2 (following Audi electrical diagrams). This connector is coded by default as "Ambient light 2" but it doesn't work so worked it around using it assigned to "Standlicht Allgemein" so it lights up when exterior lights are on (along with the lights on the dashboard and console). But the goal is to be able to control it through the MMI. Does anyone have succeeded in that kind or retrofit?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Hope this makes sense - English is my second language (I'm much better with Italian ;))

Don

I must apologise for going off-topic here. Sorry everyone.

I just have this thing... I just read certain posts of certain people in certain voices.
Mostly based on geography and what I know about them from posting here.

Don, since you're the resident Australian here, I read your posts in Adam Hills' voice:
(big fan of his)

Do you have the Aussie Sonar?
And what I've learned from him is that an Italian person living in Australia is sometimes, disrespectfully, called a wog.
So this just changes everything. You're Italian, apparently. My mind is doing overtime now. How should I read your posts now?
Now, most of my international English is from television. I watch a lot of American series.
Other than that I watch a lot of motorsports and English is the go-to language there on team radio's etc.
So it's always fun to listen to non-native speakers doing their very best and respectfully enjoying it.
Interviews are great as well.

So now the voice in my head for Don needs altering. What do you think of this one?

Other voices I can think of:
- Jack - either Marvin Falitz from S17E01 or Al Pacino
- Uwe - Wolfgang Ullrich (head of Audi Sport) during interview (sometimes I give you Tim Kristensens voice)
- Dana - Leena Gade during interview
- Sebastian - Sebastian Vettel (I can imagine them both loving a 60's/70's aircooled VW bus)
- Downtime - Mika

Anyway, sorry if anyone is feeling insulted. Not intended by any means. Lockdown does strange things to the human mind I think...

I'm Dutch myself and English isn't my first language. German would probably be my second, then English...
Dutch people speaking English are the worst on television though. The accent is just HORRIBLE.
I mean, I talked about Aussie Sonar a bit but us Dutchies, we build a lighthouse. We're easy to spot miles away.

Or after 40 years...

:D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^iichel - as I've said before, I do like your sense of humor!!!

Don, since you're the resident Australian here, I read your posts in Adam Hills' voice:

Do you have the Aussie Sonar?

I suspect that I'm much older than you and I've lived a good many years on this desolate, arid continent (where women glow and men chunder) - but in all those years, I've never known any native-born Australian that has an accent. So the rumored "Aussie Sonar" is alas a fiction perpetrated by expat Aussie comedians wanting to make a quick buck !!;)

That said, the same is definitely not true when I have visited other countries (in pre-COVID times, of course). Without exception and to a man (or woman) - absolutely everyone outside Australis's shores is inflicted with some form of accent, some better than others. But most certainly, Dutch is one of the better accents IMHO

And what I've learned from him is that an Italian person living in Australia is sometimes, disrespectfully, called a wog.

Yes, true - it's a term of derision that's not widely used now. But it was a label that I wore with pride on the few occasions that it was applied to me many years ago (I'm a very proud Australian - but I'm also honored to have an Italian heritage). The term "wog" means something like "western oriental/origin gentleman" - I think

So this just changes everything. You're Italian, apparently. My mind is doing overtime now. How should I read your posts now?
Now, most of my international English is from television. I watch a lot of American series.
Other than that I watch a lot of motorsports and English is the go-to language there on team radio's etc.
So it's always fun to listen to non-native speakers doing their very best and respectfully enjoying it.
Interviews are great as well.

So now the voice in my head for Don needs altering. What do you think of this one?

As I have said, I ain't got no accent - but if I had to have an accent, I'd choose the Italian voice in the video (it speaks of elegance, sophistication, gravitas, intelligence - and much, much more!!)

Don

Reactions: Uwe

rawrmcrawrrawr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=286791
In case anyone is still trying to figure this retrofit out, this is what you need to do for a prefacelift A3 with Bixenon headlights.
Connect cupholder light to BCM T46B pin 2.

Activate Interior Lighting Menu:
5F - Adaptations
Vehicle function list BAP-interieur_light_0x08 = Activated
Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination = activated
Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated

Activate Cupholder Light:
09 - Adaptations
Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig - Active
Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active
Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen - active
Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung - installed
Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 - Ambientelicht 2

09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2

Back