Start up trouble

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
so my HEX NET recognizes my VIN and all that good stuff, but i can't seem to actually do anything due to "Warning - can't check ASAM data in AP mode. unable to reach server"

this pops up everytime i select a control module. i also cannot connect to VCDS Cloud, even though i seem to have a solid connection to the network marked with the HEX NET serial #.

can someone "explain it to me like i'm a 3 year-old," to quote Denzel Washington?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Correct, it cannot connect to the Cloud Server if it's in AP mode.

Have you watched the videos here and here?

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
i did, actually. it would be nice if in the "getting started" video it would show for Mac users where to go after "Downloads" on Ross-Tech site. all the video says is "go download it" - not exactly explicit.
sorry to be pissy, but i'm spending way more time spinning wheels than i'd like. i've downloaded the 17.8 Universal Installer that the downloads page features... when i try to run it, Safari says "no application can open it." yes, i installed Java 8 on my Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. do i try the Beta 17.10 version? where's the love for Mac losers like me?

also tried toggling the HEX to Infra mode as the video suggests, but no dice without the Config Utility i'm guessing? admittedly i'm no computer whiz, but i do know my ass from my elbow.;p

love your avatar, btw!

Correct, it cannot connect to the Cloud Server if it's in AP mode.

Have you watched the videos here and here?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The Mac version of old Java Config Utility is here, but it isn't being maintained anymore, and the a Mac version of the new (native, not Java) Config Utility isn't available yet, sorry.

If all else fails, I would suggest borrowing a PC long enough to get things configured (and to get yourself registered).

-Uwe-

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
hmmm, so i must've missed the fine print that said this isn't really platform independent. did i just spend almost $500 dollars on a tool that can't actually do what it is marketed to do on iPhones/iPads?

1.9 Will there be a version for iPhone/iPad, Android, Blackberry, or Windows Phone?
We have no plans to make a native "Application" for any of these platforms. Instead, we are have created a platform-indendent version of VCDS called "VCDS-Mobile". It can be used on modern versions of any of the above smart-phones and tablets.

what am i missing here? i feel like i've done a decent bit of research on TDI Club and elsewhere, so this is pretty frustrating to be told i need to "borrow a PC" FFS. c'mon man, don't do me like that!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I said, "If all else fails". Did you try using the older Java Config Utility?

There is a Mac version of the newer, native-code Utility coming at some point, I just can't tell you exactly when it will be ready.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
ok, so i am able to download the older Config Utility (V1.963). at first attempt, i connected to our home wifi network, but the middle light never turned green. i tried the toggle button to see if i could switch to Infra mode, then my Config Utility froze up.
i'm following the video best i can, but once it shows how to on Windows i'm at a dead end. i can't seem to get to Infra mode, or Program Options as seen at 5:25 of the video.

hopefully this is progress and someone with Mac experience can walk me through the setup... again, i'm using a MacBookPro OS X and an iPhone 7 with VCDS Mobile App

cheers

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
well this is about as fun as dental work... can't toggle to Infra mode, can't download either the 17.8 or 17.10 Installer, and can't even register my HEX-NET so that i can seek help on Product Support forum. Super!
Config Utility V1.963 reads my HEX-NET serial # in SSID running AP mode - then when i connect to my home wireless network in Infra mode, it lists said network next to SSID, but IP reads 0.0.0.0
What the hell?! i could return this thing i guess if it just hates my Apple-using ***, but it'd be more satisfying to grab my log-splitter and go Office Space on it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you using an Apple router as well? ;)

The one guy we have who has any real experience with Apple products is out at a trade show this week.

Not getting an IP address from your router in infrastructure mode is likely due to failure to negotiate security. Possibly you typed the password incorrectly, or your router is using demanding some security level that the HEX-NET doesn't support. Try turning off security temporarily and running your WiFi completely "Open" for a bit just to see if it will connect.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
yes i am - whilst smoking apple cores!

hooray, i've finally connected in Infrastructure mode - 2 little green lights and all. Password issues.:roll eyes:
the issue now is it's timing out when i try to select a control module (Kline init 1...2...3...)
self test reads:
K1: OK
K2: OK
CAN: Testing
VCDS-Cloud: OK
Config: OK

pings avg. 51ms
Connection quality: excellent

i feel like i read about others running into this somewhere...

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of car is this?

Is the ignition on?

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
ok, baby steps... connecting now when i pull up as close to the house as possible. i'm getting timed out now by the VCDS Cloud, even though my wifi connection reads good on the self test.
also has ASAM updates ready, but when i click update it never budges from 0% loaded... it's a war of attrition, and i'm gonna win it dammit!

'15 GSW SE

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
ok, baby steps... connecting now when i pull up as close to the house as possible. i'm getting timed out now by the VCDS Cloud, even though my wifi connection reads good on the self test.
also has ASAM updates ready, but when i click update it never budges from 0% loaded... it's a war of attrition, and i'm gonna win it dammit!

'15 GSW SE

You don't need to have the interface plugged into a car in order to update it. Just bring it inside and do that with it plugged into any decent source of USB power -- even your Mac.

Is it possible your router is blocking outbound connections on TCP port 11000? If so, open that port for outbound traffic please.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
you've got me there - i don't know anything about the router other than it's a cable hookup. i don't see TCP 11000 anywhere on it.
again - "like i'm a 3 year-old" :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In VCDS Mobile, while in Infrastructure Mode, please do [Options] -> [Self Test] -> [Advanced Network Test] and let us know the result.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
done probably 2 dozen self tests over 2 days... results are typically:
K1: OK
K2: OK
CAN: Testing
VCDS-Cloud: OK
Config: OK

pings avg. 51ms
Connection quality: excellent

on some occasions it shows CAN: OK, but in all instances when i try to connect to VCDS Cloud it times out, and when i try to update AMAM data it freezes.

i thought i was in business when i was finally able to create a VCDS Cloud account as directed in the video, but immediately after that success it kept telling me "check internet connection" even though the self test says Excellent connection... very confused

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
yeah, that's where the ping data comes from, right? just ran it again, avg 44ms, connection; Excellent, Port 11011: OK

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
yeah, that's where the ping data comes from, right? just ran it again, avg 44ms, connection; Excellent, Port 11011: OK
Then I am stumped.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
hmmm - maybe your Mac authority has an idea for me to try? i wonder if there's someplace with a "stronger" network i can drive to and test it... it's weird how inconsistent the CAN reading is across multiple tests. sometimes "Not ready" or "Testing" and other times "OK."
How about you enable me to post on the product support forum to open it up to others... or better yet - put me in touch with someone over the phone?

Back