Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEX V2 not working at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Could that have caused it and if so what can I do to fix it

Post Thanks / Like
    The proper mains charger for the laptop (plugged into a fixed main supply) shouldn't cause any problems.

Running the laptop via a power invertor from the car's battery can cause issues as they share a ground connection.

I'd wait for Uwe or Dana to comment, but it may be one you need to fire off to Ross-Tech support.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here...

Post Thanks / Like
    I did used to use a converter but I broke the plug so just use mains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    The proper mains charger for the laptop (plugged into a fixed main supply) shouldn't cause any problems.
    Correct -- if the car itself is not connected to anything else at the same time.

But there is a circumstance where a ground loop can occur: If the car is also connected to a battery charger at the same time, and that battery charger is if a poor design that puts the car's ground at a different potential from the laptop's ground. This is pretty rare though.

Anyway, if no LEDs light at all when the interface is plugged into a PC and a different USB cable doesn't change that, then the interface needs to get swapped out.

Interestingly enough, Wayne already had one warranted in mid 2018, but I don't see a cause of failure was ever determined.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car was on a charger it's a mac charger I believe it was expensive.
    Also yes I did have one warranted I believe every time I tried to communicate with mechantronics I lost communication I did try another lead and that worked perfect.
    I also have the old lead that I use also and never had any issues with that at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geforce007 View Post
    The car was on a charger it's a mac charger I believe it was expensive.
    Hmm...

I would connect that charger to a car (any car) and then take a multi-meter and and check for voltage between the car's ground and the earth ground on your mains. Do this both DC and AC. Assuming there's no outrageous voltage between them (either DC or AC), I would check to see if any current wants to flow between the car's ground and mains' earth ground (both DC and AC). Start at the highest current scale on your meter and work down.

You can also plug in your laptop and find a "ground" on it and measure voltage and current (both DC and AC) between it and the mains's earth ground.

Lastly, try to measure voltage and current (both DC and AC) between the car's ground and the laptop's ground. To get meaningful results here, the car has to be connected to the charger and the laptop has to be plugged into the mains.

I've authorized Gendan to "goodwill" the interface, but obviously we need to figure out why they're failing on you. It seems to me something there is stressing them...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could it be the extension lead that am using to the laptop and car chargers ground ?.
    This lead is only only thing I have never changed,
    But I have changed the laptop.
    I remember the 1st time I never used the mac tool charger when it went faulty but did use the extension lead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could it be the extension lead that am using to the laptop and car chargers ground ?.
    This lead is only only thing I have never changed,
    But I have changed the laptop.
    I remember the 1st time I never used the mac tool charger when it went faulty but did use the extension lead.
    I don't know. I'm not sure what this "extension lead" you are using is, or how it is connected. Please provide further elaboration/detail.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sorry the extension lead plugs in the mains and then the laptop charger and mac charger plugs into it. I think it's a cheap extension with 4 plugs to connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sorry the extension lead plugs in the mains and then the laptop charger and mac charger plugs into it. I think it's a cheap extension with 4 plugs to connect.
    So long as the earth pin has continuity from end to end, and it's not got an in-built surge protector, I wouldn't have thought that would have an effect
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here...