C?ID=303008
Could that have caused it and if so what can I do to fix it

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
The proper mains charger for the laptop (plugged into a fixed main supply) shouldn't cause any problems.

Running the laptop via a power invertor from the car's battery can cause issues as they share a ground connection.

I'd wait for Uwe or Dana to comment, but it may be one you need to fire off to Ross-Tech support.

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
I did used to use a converter but I broke the plug so just use mains.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The proper mains charger for the laptop (plugged into a fixed main supply) shouldn't cause any problems.
Correct -- if the car itself is not connected to anything else at the same time.

But there is a circumstance where a ground loop can occur: If the car is also connected to a battery charger at the same time, and that battery charger is if a poor design that puts the car's ground at a different potential from the laptop's ground. This is pretty rare though.

Anyway, if no LEDs light at all when the interface is plugged into a PC and a different USB cable doesn't change that, then the interface needs to get swapped out.

Interestingly enough, Wayne already had one warranted in mid 2018, but I don't see a cause of failure was ever determined.

-Uwe-

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
The car was on a charger it's a mac charger I believe it was expensive.
Also yes I did have one warranted I believe every time I tried to communicate with mechantronics I lost communication I did try another lead and that worked perfect.
I also have the old lead that I use also and never had any issues with that at all.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The car was on a charger it's a mac charger I believe it was expensive.
Hmm...

I would connect that charger to a car (any car) and then take a multi-meter and and check for voltage between the car's ground and the earth ground on your mains. Do this both DC and AC. Assuming there's no outrageous voltage between them (either DC or AC), I would check to see if any current wants to flow between the car's ground and mains' earth ground (both DC and AC). Start at the highest current scale on your meter and work down.

You can also plug in your laptop and find a "ground" on it and measure voltage and current (both DC and AC) between it and the mains's earth ground.

Lastly, try to measure voltage and current (both DC and AC) between the car's ground and the laptop's ground. To get meaningful results here, the car has to be connected to the charger and the laptop has to be plugged into the mains.

I've authorized Gendan to "goodwill" the interface, but obviously we need to figure out why they're failing on you. It seems to me something there is stressing them...

-Uwe-

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
Could it be the extension lead that am using to the laptop and car chargers ground ?.
This lead is only only thing I have never changed,
But I have changed the laptop.
I remember the 1st time I never used the mac tool charger when it went faulty but did use the extension lead.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Could it be the extension lead that am using to the laptop and car chargers ground ?.
This lead is only only thing I have never changed,
But I have changed the laptop.
I remember the 1st time I never used the mac tool charger when it went faulty but did use the extension lead.
I don't know. I'm not sure what this "extension lead" you are using is, or how it is connected. Please provide further elaboration/detail.

-Uwe-

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
Hi sorry the extension lead plugs in the mains and then the laptop charger and mac charger plugs into it. I think it's a cheap extension with 4 plugs to connect.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Hi sorry the extension lead plugs in the mains and then the laptop charger and mac charger plugs into it. I think it's a cheap extension with 4 plugs to connect.
So long as the earth pin has continuity from end to end, and it's not got an in-built surge protector, I wouldn't have thought that would have an effect

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So long as the earth pin has continuity from end to end, and it's not got an in-built surge protector, I wouldn't have thought that would have an effect
Agreed. Electrically, it should be the same as plugging the charger and the laptop supply directly into two outlets in the same room (assuming of course that the outlets are wired properly).

FWIW: Back in the 1990s, Bruce and I worked in a building where various "grounds" had as much as 60VAC difference between them. That was "interesting" at times. :eek:

-Uwe-

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
I bet it's the dodgy electrics lol it was all rewired couple years ago.
Am.goong to go over the extension power cable I wonder if it's been nicked or damaged 🤔

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
FWIW: Back in the 1990s, Bruce and I worked in a building where various "grounds" had as much as 60VAC difference between them. That was "interesting" at times. :eek:

-Uwe-
You call it interesting? Downright scarey is more like it.

The only way to operate was to use isolation transformers and reference the secondary to a known "earth" to reference the voltage to ground. I am still amazed they were permitted to wire the building as it was wired!

A lesson in how not to do electrical engineering!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am still amazed they were permitted to wire the building as it was wired!
IIRC, most of that building was built during WWII, when the company was doing some projects for the military. It grew out of the garage behind a house, and the house was used as the company's office. Anyway, I doubt there was much in the way of permits or inspections involved. "Get it done so we can win the war!"

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
IIRC, most of that building was built during WWII, I doubt there was much in the way of permits or inspections involved. "Get it done so we can win the war!"

Yes your memory is correct. I also agree, permits were not required. The delta input connection was what was the most interesting since the entire system floated with no ground reference except to a tap a the midpoint on one leg of the delta. And that is why the whole thing was a nightmare. 240v three phase, no reference to a neutral which also was at ground potential. Crazy way to operate.

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
I had an issue running an hp laptop connected to its mains charger I couldn't get vcds to operate until I unplugged the charger , can't remember the exact issue as it was a few years back

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
well i found out last night when i was doing basic settings on a vw polo that also the USB has passed away on my laptop also. this car has given me a big headache

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
well i found out last night when i was doing basic settings on a vw polo that also the USB has passed away on my laptop also. this car has given me a big headache
Sounds like you really need to figure out the source of the ground-loop that's destroying your equipment. ;)

-Uwe-

geforce007

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303008
It's been tested he can't find anything, only odd thing is my battery that has gone flat around 3 times over the winter.
It's recking my brain I have also ordered a brand new laptop battery.
I will send my laptop to have usb fixed.
I been using the old lead I got and that works perfect it's just so slow to the new hex 2.
😞

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
only odd thing is my battery that has gone flat around 3 times over the winter.
Sounds like either something isn't turning off or your battery is old and cannot hold charge.

How old is the car battery?

Reactions: Uwe
Back