Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HEX V2 not working at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    So long as the earth pin has continuity from end to end, and it's not got an in-built surge protector, I wouldn't have thought that would have an effect
    Agreed. Electrically, it should be the same as plugging the charger and the laptop supply directly into two outlets in the same room (assuming of course that the outlets are wired properly).

FWIW: Back in the 1990s, Bruce and I worked in a building where various "grounds" had as much as 60VAC difference between them. That was "interesting" at times.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet it's the dodgy electrics lol it was all rewired couple years ago.
    Am.goong to go over the extension power cable I wonder if it's been nicked or damaged 🤔

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    FWIW: Back in the 1990s, Bruce and I worked in a building where various "grounds" had as much as 60VAC difference between them. That was "interesting" at times.

-Uwe-
    You call it interesting? Downright scarey is more like it.

The only way to operate was to use isolation transformers and reference the secondary to a known "earth" to reference the voltage to ground. I am still amazed they were permitted to wire the building as it was wired!

A lesson in how not to do electrical engineering!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I am still amazed they were permitted to wire the building as it was wired!
    IIRC, most of that building was built during WWII, when the company was doing some projects for the military. It grew out of the garage behind a house, and the house was used as the company's office. Anyway, I doubt there was much in the way of permits or inspections involved. "Get it done so we can win the war!"

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    IIRC, most of that building was built during WWII, I doubt there was much in the way of permits or inspections involved. "Get it done so we can win the war!"
    Yes your memory is correct. I also agree, permits were not required. The delta input connection was what was the most interesting since the entire system floated with no ground reference except to a tap a the midpoint on one leg of the delta. And that is why the whole thing was a nightmare. 240v three phase, no reference to a neutral which also was at ground potential. Crazy way to operate.

7. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had an issue running an hp laptop connected to its mains charger I couldn't get vcds to operate until I unplugged the charger , can't remember the exact issue as it was a few years back

Post Thanks / Like
    well i found out last night when i was doing basic settings on a vw polo that also the USB has passed away on my laptop also. this car has given me a big headache

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geforce007 View Post
    well i found out last night when i was doing basic settings on a vw polo that also the USB has passed away on my laptop also. this car has given me a big headache
    Sounds like you really need to figure out the source of the ground-loop that's destroying your equipment.

-Uwe-

11. Likes PetrolDave, Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been tested he can't find anything, only odd thing is my battery that has gone flat around 3 times over the winter.
    It's recking my brain I have also ordered a brand new laptop battery.
    I will send my laptop to have usb fixed.
    I been using the old lead I got and that works perfect it's just so slow to the new hex 2.
    😞

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geforce007 View Post
    only odd thing is my battery that has gone flat around 3 times over the winter.
    Sounds like either something isn't turning off or your battery is old and cannot hold charge.

How old is the car battery?

14. Likes Uwe liked this post