GPS Time

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
It's not really that much computation, but the rule-set is complex and malleable.

Oooh yes I'm familiar with those tables.
There's always a panic by customers whether or not their servers will correct the time properly when the gooberment fiddles with DST.

Here's the elegantly low-tech way Audi handles it:

lYoYIOk.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
That's the point! I wanna hear seconds "tick" off! With a gate solenoid at the top being opened at the precise time that will result in each second ball clicking into the counting chute, it could be made pretty accurate. Throw in an accelerometer at the end of the counting chute to "feel" each tick as the ball hits, and it would be self-calibrating as well.
A mechanism that could reliably handle marbles at 1Hz into a readable display would be pretty challenging. I got kind of lost on Youtube for a couple hours watching various marble machines, trying to get an idea how this could be done. The closest I could figure was a variant on this guy's ring gears:

If you took two 60-hole rings and placed one directly atop the other, but kept the lower one "out of phase" so marbles couldn't fall through, you could accumulate marbles up until 60 and then shift the lower one "in phase" momentarily, dropping all 60 at the same time. That way you could actually see and read all 60 in a sensible way. Something sitting under the lower ring could catch one of the 60 and send it off to be the next minute marble.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Oooh yes I'm familiar with those tables.
There's always a panic by customers whether or not their servers will correct the time properly when the gooberment fiddles with DST.
Oh, the uncounted hours we billed during that fiasco... phone auto-attendants and call centers not opening and closing at the right times...

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
You really have your own stratum 1 reference clocks

Inbound for my home office.
WhyFi? Not! Cable is cheap and more accurate in this case....

LxNyvJh.png

You're it, sorry. I'm only 37, so my involvement in the industry came quite some time after that.

How did I miss this before :confused:
The cable oxidizing on my desk and I don't like you anymore :p

I learned about 2600Hz from various 31337 ph1l3z downloaded from dial-up bulletin boards circa 1993. Me and my buddies thought we came up on some awesome secret stuff. Tried it and got nothing... that stuff had been made irrelevant years before.

LOL, yeah OBS was SOP by then.
Have you read Exploding The Phone ?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How did I miss this before :confused:
The cable oxidizing on my desk and I don't like you anymore :p
Hey, I still walked to school uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow. I just didn't wear an onion on my belt, as it wasn't the style at the time.

Have you read Exploding The Phone ?
Yes indeed:

explodingthephone.jpg

May I be back in your good graces now? :)

I've also read The Rape of Ma Bell, which despite the incendiary title and slightly slanted viewpoint, is very informative about the history of the Bell system and politics around divestiture. It's available online in PDF form.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
May I be back in your good graces now? :)

Of course, but the cables are still giving you the cold shoulder LOL

I've also read The Rape of Ma Bell, which despite the incendiary title and slightly slanted viewpoint, is very informative about the history of the Bell system and politics around divestiture. It's available online in PDF form.

Jason

I've had that for awhile and haven't read it yet.
Sounds like a project for this weekend :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
WhyFi? Not! Cable is cheap and more accurate in this case....

LxNyvJh.png

I specified a wired clock, so that I could power it via PoE. I have been tempted to trademark PoWiFi as a gag, and set up a whole association to certify compatibility between different vendors. :)

In these parts, we used to have three tiny independent phone companies, with MaBell only covering a few towns. Calls from one town to another were all toll calls, and made long distance look cheap with their insane rates. Long story short, some of those tricks were useful into the mid-1990's between their ancient IBS trunks for toll calls.

Does that book mention anything about early cell phone tricks? A friend and I discovered a bug in MaBell's 1980's accounting logic (back when calls were $0.85/minute), and I'm curious if anyone else had discovered the secret unlimited calling plan?????

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I specified a wired clock, so that I could power it via PoE. I have been tempted to trademark PoWiFi as a gag, and set up a whole association to certify compatibility between different vendors. :)

Next time I setup my office I'm using bulk power.
All these little PoE injectors defeat the purpose, other than hiding them all in a clump in one place :rolleyes:

In these parts, we used to have three tiny independent phone companies, with MaBell only covering a few towns. Calls from one town to another were all toll calls, and made long distance look cheap with their insane rates. Long story short, some of those tricks were useful into the mid-1990's between their ancient IBS trunks for toll calls.

LOL, my family lives in a very rural era and still has that same 'experience'.
Called them one day on their cell and conversation went:
You having problems with the landline?
Yeah how'd you know !?!?
Ehhh... I'm getting test termination intercepts at the tandem
What's that mean ?
Call them and tell them you can't reach anyone who isn't local​

I'm curious if anyone else had discovered the secret unlimited calling plan?????

Wow, that takes me back.... haven't heard anyone talk about that in ages...

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Next time I setup my office I'm using bulk power.
All these little PoE injectors defeat the purpose, other than hiding them all in a clump in one place :rolleyes:

Why not just get a switch with built-in PoE? :confused: The first thing that I do whenever I receive one of those single-port PoE thingies is toss it in the tras^H^H^H, er, I mean responsibly recycle it.

I have used rack-mounted 12-port mid-span PoE injectors in the past, but they get ugly pretty fast (from a cable management perspective) when you have to add a second set of patch cables between each switch port and PoE injector input. They would be neater than a pile of single-port injectors, though. I don't buy switches without PoE in them for either home or work these days, so having devices that support PoE is a must versus wall warts all over the place.....

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Why not just get a switch with built-in PoE? :confused:

Am planning a move in the Spring so not going to do any major changes around here except replacing toilet paper rolls....

Very few things I own use PoE at this point, and I'm not sure how it will tie in in the future yet.
My plan/desire is to go to a core/edge model and move most things to fibre over time, replacing power supplies with PoE where it makes sense.

Honestly I wouldn't have WhyFi in the house if it weren't for the iPhones and the &*^%(*& WeMo devices.
I'm in love with my HEX-NET, but otherwise have no use for it.
Gimme TD2 or gimme death :p

Also need to get a couple racks for my home office - real 42U 19" racks, not puny relay racks.
Going to do it right this time and not let things grow out of control :rolleyes:
Been eyeballing an APC UPS for the majority of house, backed with a genny - gotta talk to my engineer friend.

ps - love the ^H

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Well now... I may have to get one of these for the master bedroom... I can see it without my glasses !

JaBNvwd.jpg

Yes that is a Margaritaville drink machine in the background.
Since it came with WiFi I figured I'd try it [the clock, not the drink machine]

Back