5F (Discover Pro Gen2) coding Comfort Telephone (Qi charger + signal booster)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I have replaced the antenna with the OEM (supposed to go behind rear bumper), 5GE 035 534, and the error immediately cleared out.

I also have confirmed that the forward storage compartment is different when the wireless charging baseplate is fitted. at the moment I have no interest in retrofitting that.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I switched to the shark fin GSM antenna and all is good, no errors.

Reactions: Uwe

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I too completed my sharkfin antenna retrofit and now the "invisible" DTC in Discover Media is gone.

Reactions: Uwe

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I believe the OEM antennas are phantom powered (DC voltage over the same antenna cable, that carries AC antenna signal) and the 5F measures the flowing current with the aid of the antenna amplifier.

there is no other way for the radio to "know" the antenna is the wrong one.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Until this point, I never had any antenna connected to the GSM amp. Since my setup is modeled on the CC MY17, the only GSM antenna option is in the sharkfin. But now...anyone noticed any real benefit for the GSM baseplate? I have an iPhone 8 constantly connected through BT and it was reporting 2 bars of signal strenght (out of 6). I put the phone on the baseplate but no signal strenght improvement occurred. But I'm not dissapointed as this was kind of a "all boxes ticked" retrofit.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I don't see any better signal when putting the phone on the baseplate either.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
I believe the OEM antennas are phantom powered (DC voltage over the same antenna cable, that carries AC antenna signal) and the 5F measures the flowing current with the aid of the antenna amplifier.

there is no other way for the radio to "know" the antenna is the wrong one.

There is an amplifier in between 5F and the outside antenna, which is definitely connected to 5F. And im not talking about the power/ground for the amplifier. The baseplate is on this same wire so i think its a local bus.

Jeromeo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=335683
i am trying the same retrofitting.(Qi only no need for antenna) but so far no luck.
i am trying to test if the interface is working. Do you need to have pin 2 and 3 connected to work or can i try without them?
what about pin 5 my car have kessy can you leave it unplugged?
thanks

Livefour2day

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32736
I want to install the wireless charging module 5NA680611 and have been reading your thread on the forum when you have done it.
I hope you could help me with one question, I have a 2018 Passat B8 which has 5F Discover Media Gen2 unit, not the pro I know both are MIB2.5 but do you know if my 5F will also work with the wireless charging.

I am not planning on installing the amplifier.

OEMplusCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160054
I'm curious, what should one find different(new menus, icons etc) in the infotainment system after retrofitting

a. just the wireless charging plate
b. wireless charging plate retrofit with signal amplifier and new antenna.

Thank you

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I want to install the wireless charging module 5NA680611 and have been reading your thread on the forum when you have done it.
I hope you could help me with one question, I have a 2018 Passat B8 which has 5F Discover Media Gen2 unit, not the pro I know both are MIB2.5 but do you know if my 5F will also work with the wireless charging.

I am not planning on installing the amplifier.

although I cannot be 100% sure, I am fairly confident it will work. I have a Composition Media (no navigation) and it works.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I'm curious, what should one find different(new menus, icons etc) in the infotainment system after retrofitting

a. just the wireless charging plate
b. wireless charging plate retrofit with signal amplifier and new antenna.

Thank you

I haven't retrofitted the Qi charging plate. for all the rest, what you gain in the menu is... absolutely nothing. yeah, bummer.

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
Does all Discovery Pro supports wireless charging ?

I have the following, but it does not charge. I've checked and checked (multiple times) the wires, and power, ground and the other wires are correct. It should be the module is defective...

Does it show up in the log ?

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-HGH2.clb
Part No SW: 5NA 035 022 A HW: 5NA 035 022
Component: MU-H-LND-EU H51 1121

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I ended up buying the OEM front storage box with the wireless charger. I don't have the connector so I will install shortly.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I ended up buying the OEM front storage box with the wireless charger. I don't have the connector so I will install shortly.

I ended up doing the same :) The Aliexpress charging pad has an issue with heat control. It heats up the iphone so heavily that it starts to lag really bad due to overheat. Also it is not very efficient to charge the phone. This problem is only visible on longer trips but it gets annoying.
So I'm doing the same as MasterTommy except I won't install the LTE antenna amplifier as I don't have any mobile extensions in my discover media unit.

Got almost all the parts, now just waiting for the delivery.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
since last july I tested it a few times but I ended up to almost not using it. I always connect the phone with the cable because of CarPlay, and that charges as well.

last but not least, I now sometimes get a fault in the cluster because it cannot communicate with the phone module. this is unacceptable for my
OCDness. I wonder if it's a matter of software versions, because this wireless charger never existed on the Golf 7, it came out on the 7.5

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I have Carplay2Air dongle so I use the charging pad all the time :)

If you mean the BAP TEL error in cluster I get that all the time. I don't know where it's coming from. Appears after few starts again after clearing.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
yes, same error as I recall, I will post it later just to be sure.

what I am sure of is that it started since last 3 retrofits: wireless charger, high rear camera and DC/AC inverter. since the first is related to a telephone I would tend as the cause.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Retrofit of wireless charging pad completed yesterday. Involved changing the complete center console as in Tiguan there's no separate storage box in front. It's all part of one big lump of plastic :)

At the same time I switched the 1xUSB + AUX in front to dual USB + AUX with integrated USB hub and installed a new rear cover for center console with single USB charging port U37. And naturally wired all of them to factory spec.
I can say the most painful part is the fuse box on Tiguan. It is a REAL PITA to get it into a position so you can add new fuses. Big ones are easy as there's no pink lock bar on them but the small blade fuse spots have and it requires to move the pink locking tab. Awful, my hands are scratched and sore at the moment :D

I did not install the amplifier or wire the antenna. I have a shark fin that is capable for mobile signal but it's not connected at the moment. I won't be connecting that. Not really useful.

The OEM wireless charger is way more efficient than the chinese crap. And it does not overheat the mobile.

What I did not fully understand was the connection to BCM 73b/pin 14. Some sources say it is needed if you want to charge with the MIB unit turned off but I don't really get it, is that really so?

Back