Quick hi to users and admin team new member from the uk

Kill All Wipers

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309327 (?)
hey guys just a quick hello ive used vcds for about 10 years now if not longer so im familiar with it really ive recently bought myself a new hex v2 unlimited vin as i love my vag motors and its a must have tool , i must admit i love how much faster the hex v2 is i was a bit worried upgrading as a lot of stuff here in the uk seems to require odis for component protection and other things but i bit the bullet and got one anyway :D

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Yeah, there are things that can only be done with Odis... There will always be some things that VAG requires be done through their servers. As VAG will not allow us to connect to their servers, we likely will not be able to make those things available.

I think however, you will find that VCDS still has huge value for the enthusiast and professional over other tools. Sure, there may be some times when you will need to have access to the factory tool, but most often, you will be able to perform most functions with VCDS.

Thanks for the kind comments and appreciation of the speed of our new interfaces. We hope to see you around the forum.

Kill All Wipers

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309327 (?)
hey bruce thanks for the welcome i do agree ive used plenty of tools van can pro vag tech can commander and ive always preferred vcds the newer v2 cable is so smooth and quick to use evan on w10 x64 i have it for my own use really but i do the odd jobs for local garages and friends when ive got time i love the world wide community vcds brings ive often wondered how it all started my first cable was com port showing my age now hehe

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Perhaps we should create blog with how it all started. It is a great story!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It is a great story!
The best part is me showing it to you about a week before I published the first version, and you asking: "Who the hell would wanna buy that?"
tyFGzUy.gif

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
True that... but there are so many other fun stories along the way too! Should we share them all? What does the user base think?

Kill All Wipers

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309327 (?)
yeah id be intrested its amazing software ive used a lot of vag software over the years but nothing comes close to the layout of vcds so +1 on that :thumbs:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^Bruce -I'm also interested in reading a "tell-all" expose of Ross-Tech's history but only if it's a brutally factual story. The problem with too many biographies these days is that the authors allow themselves to be constrained by PC correctness and the libel laws! I want to know the raw story -without embellishment and sans polite regard for the evil characters (and Shirley there must be some evil characters worthy of mention in Ross-Tech's past). So, hopefully you and Uwe (boom-boom) are prepared to call a spade a "f#cking shovel"

Don

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Right Don... RT is politically correct... NOT!

If we write it, it will be a "tell-all" expose that would let all know about the struggles and the fun. But what it will not do is embarrass or punish any for the mistakes we have made along the way. One can never do a thing like Ross-Tech without failures. And when we failed, we found ways to pick ourselves up and go on. We licked our wounds and kept (and still keep) going.

Sounds to me Don that you would like to read the soap story of RT. That is not something I would ever participate in. It serves no purpose.

Yep, I just admitted we have our differences and fights - just like any other real family. And we are a family. We do care about each other. That does not mean we agree 100% with one another. But I'll be damned if I will participate in airing our dirty shorts in front of a forum audience. I hope others at Ross-Tech will agree with me.

Again I ask: to what end Don? What possible good purpose would it serve to read the detail of conflicts that exist in all businesses or in all families? Surely we have enough of this in the media today!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Product development is always accompanied by changes that didn't work as intended, there's no value in "finger pointing" the only thing to do is to solve the problem unintentionally created, learn how not to do it again and move onto the next new idea.

The best product development team I worked in became friends not just colleagues (we became social friends sharing evenings and weekends out together not just work colleagues between 9am and 5pm). In that atmosphere the progress we made was amazing, I lost count of how many things we achieved that others in the company told us were "impossible".

It sounds like Ross-Tech has a similar culture to that team, and it shows in how quickly major updates are rolled out and how rarely a "quick bug fix" is required. Long may it continue...

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Right Don... RT is politically correct... NOT!

If we write it, it will be a "tell-all" expose that would let all know about the struggles and the fun. But what it will not do is embarrass or punish any for the mistakes we have made along the way. One can never do a thing like Ross-Tech without failures. And when we failed, we found ways to pick ourselves up and go on. We licked our wounds and kept (and still keep) going.

Sounds to me Don that you would like to read the soap story of RT. That is not something I would ever participate in. It serves no purpose.

Yep, I just admitted we have our differences and fights - just like any other real family. And we are a family. We do care about each other. That does not mean we agree 100% with one another. But I'll be damned if I will participate in airing our dirty shorts in front of a forum audience. I hope others at Ross-Tech will agree with me.

Again I ask: to what end Don? What possible good purpose would it serve to read the detail of conflicts that exist in all businesses or in all families? Surely we have enough of this in the media today!

Bruce: - my words were said tongue-in-cheek (well kind-of). It doesn't surprise me one iota that a successful company like RT has a corporate family ethic! I think that I recall that someone there (it might even have been you) said in the past that there was a high ratio of long-time employees @ RT - which speaks volumes about the company ethic and as a consequence, the people that work there.

Nothing wrong with failures I agree - it's by far the best route to success in the corporate world (IMO). As for embarrassing others - that's not at all necessary in a deftly written biography that steers an honest path through the maze of personalities that Ross Tech must have encountered over the many years. Lot's of well written and truthful (read, uncensored) biographies find a way of telling the "warts" part of the story without the necessity of embarrassing anyone - (they use tools like fake names, talking in the first-person, omitting names entirely etc.)

"to what end?" - well it's entirely up to the writer's style and the target audience - but mostly, it's about the objective of the expose. "An enthusiastic success" (very nice - thank you for posting!) reads like was a marketing exercise. Nothing at all wrong with this - it was an informative and very interesting piece. If you were thinking of another similar exercise, then I'm sure that it will be equally interesting. But there are so many other threads that can be weaved into the life story of a young inventor, struggling in his parent's garage to turn a hobby into something that other folk might want to buy and then to to have that tiny seed germinate and grow into what is now an industry standard!

Sure, I guess my post was a suggestion for something different - this forum is mostly about technical stuff and it serves it's purpose well. But there is a world of difference between writing a rude and offensive story that embarrasses others - and a tale that honestly describes the rich tapestry of personalities that must be pivotal to the telling of the Ross Tech journey.

But hell - the singular privilege of being the author is that you get to decide how and what you write!! I'm sure that it will be an interesting read, regardless of the decision!

Don

Back