2010 Passat 3C - Retrofitting Adaptive Cruise Control

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You are correct.
I will probably just switch out the control unit and leave the hydraulic unit be in the car. This simplifies the matter since I won't need to bleed the system.

Not a bad job to do even outside if you'll end up swapping the complete unit. I did not have any experience in brake bleeding and even I managed to do it after ABS swap :) VCDS has nice bleeding function which engages the pump to keep the brake lines pressurised when pressing the pedal. This way no air gets in.

To maximize the ease of bleeding buy these :

140tak8.jpg

You can buy them from Biltema for example. Costs less than 4 euros per bottle. Those have valve that prevents air from getting back through the bleeding brake line.

4pekatt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315951
I have that exact same bottle, bought from Biltema.
Sadly, it was letting a little bit air through :)

I thought you needed a pressure brake bleeder to do the VAG-com procedure. It is still a two-man job, since you need to constantly refill the fluid reservoir?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
No need. You can use ABS pump to put pressure to the brake lining.

I've done it alone many times and very well doable. You just need to be maybe a little bit faster than with two persons :D

4pekatt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315951
Haha :)

Thank you for letting me know. This is valuable information. I've struggled with this in the past :)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Let us know how the retrofit goes.

I'm also in progress in retrofitting ACC to my wife's Seat Leon. It is MQB car so very much different in terms of configuration than PQ35 Passat. (I think B6 was PQ35 already?).

I've installed most of the bits. ABS pump needed to be replaced as also the rear ABS sensors and yesterday I finished installing new bumper reinforcement bar with ACC fixing, ACC radar and it's base, new lower grill and pulled the wiring next to the battery. Next steps are taking the wiring inside, connecting it to the front assist camera and replacing the indicator stalk assembly. And of course finally do all the coding bits.

I need to replace the ACC radar with activated one as the one I have now has CP activated and is not activated for my car. I get a new one from Germany maybe next week and the person doing the radar activation there, also promised to do the CP adapation remotely to my car. Which is really nice.

I will take the car to workshop for calibration as it needs also the lane assist/front assist camera to be calibrated as the car was done four-wheel alignment two weeks ago and if rear axle alignment is changed, the camera needs calibration as well. So will get both calibrations done at the same time.

4pekatt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315951
Passat B6 is PQ46, as far as I can work it out.
(According to wikipedia, it's just a further development of the PQ35 platform)

That sounds like one hell of a job. Good work :)

Last edited:
Back