Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo 6C BiXenon Retrofit Issue

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Polo 6C BiXenon Retrofit Issue

OK so, after 2 months of research and getting better at retrofiting ( :lol: ) I've figured out how I can ( finally ) fully retrofit the AFS / BiXenon on my own ( of course, with the knowledge acquired from many, like DV25, iichel, ciclo ( big thanks for the car's diagrams )

Basically, I just bought 2 T14 connectors and some terminals, since there are no new cables that I'm aware of, needed. ( aside AFS as I'm not detailing that now )

So, I went on and split the following:
    - 5 to 5 and 7 ( groundings )
    - 6 to 6 ( main beam )
    - 8 to 11 ( dip beam screen motor ) Though I guess this is not needed since AFS is taking control of headlights ?
    - 9 to 9 ( turn signal )

Then it's 3 more slots towards which I redirected the cables from the front bumper as follows:
    - 10 <- DRL ( got the DRL wire from the bumper )
    - 12 <- Side light ( also known as parking light ) - got the "old" wire from the 10 pin connector, as it had parking lights under PIN 10
    - 14 <- Static Cornering ( got the fog lights cable -- which also acts as cornering in my case )

Did the coding to change from Halogen to Xenon with AFS, also changed Low beam bulb type to HID instead H7 ( under byte 5 ), so we got:
    -- low / high beams working ( shutter ) :shock:
    -- static cornering lights into the headlight :wink:

The only issue is, DRL does not work ... I know the LED module within the headlight gets PIN 10 ( normal DRL from bumper ) and PIN 12 ( former side light ) but ... I still get errors in the dashboard regarding the lack of DRL and Side lights ( on both sides ).

QUESTIONS:
    1. Are there other changes/codings I need to do ? I'm sure there is no cable issue since it was just a matter of rearranging the cables on the connector end, nothing changed BCM side.
    2. Since the static cornering lights are active via the fog lights, I connected these to the headlight. Is it supposed to work like this ? ( having static cornering and fog lights inside the headlight ? ). Or is there some setting to separate there two. Didn't see "different" slots in the BCM terminals but there is some confusion in the schema.

Basically, the static cornering lights show t46b/7 and t46b/42 as connectors, but these are for Right / Left headlight main beam bulb -M30-, terminal 56a. So I guess .. there must be a setting to separate cornering from fog lights, so then I can have the fog lights, separate, in the front bumper ? ( made wiring for that as well ).

OLD ( 10 PIN connector schema ): https://i.imgur.com/2w2GLox.png
    NEW ( 14 PIN connector schema ) : https://i.imgur.com/aDgbvk7.png

I'll test the cables from the DRL for voltage and see what they get .. maybe something's wrong there. Any way I can test the LED module ?

Thanks for taking time to do such a long read ..

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eduard: Hello again - You sure are a busy man with that Polo of yours!!

OK again - I'm not an expert on the Polo, but I do have a few admaps from a Polo 6C and the BCM does share some similarities to the BCM on a Golf mk7- with which I am more familiar.

So when you are altering lighting on these BCM s, it's good to understand "Leuchte programming". I'm not sure how familiar you are with this feature, but unlike lighting circuits in a normal car, notice how in your WD s there aren't any fuses protecting the lamps. That's because in these BCM s, the lamp monitoring and protection is all done via the BCM itself. What also happens is that each lamp is controlled by a bunch of 19 x adapation channels with the same "Parent name" which I call a "Leuchte-set". If you look at an admap for the BCM on your car, you will find lot's of these Leuchte channels (on a Golf mk7 - there are 665 of these channels controlling a maximum of 35 x external lamps).

So as to your question about how the static cornering light is managed on the fog light - the answer is that a Leuchte command does this on the Leuchte-set for the fog light. On your old incandescent setup, if you look at the WD for your car, you will see that the left fog light is connected to Pin #40 in the B socket of the BCM. This means that the Leuchte-set for the left side fog light is Leuchte12NL LB40 - notice the "B40" in the Parent name. The right side fog light has the Leuchte-set name Leuchte13NL RB3 (it's connected to pin#3 on the B socket).

Anyhow, if you look in your BCM, you should find the settings below:

Leuchte13NL RB3-Light_Function_B_13 > Abbiegelicht rechts (right cornering light) and
    Leuchte12NL LB40-Light_Function_B_12 > Abbiegelicht links (left cornering light)

These are the two Leuchte commands that operate the static cornering lights on your fog lights

So now we come to how this is probably done on HID headlight fittings - according to your WD, the left side static cornering light for your new fitting is connected to pin #42 on the B socket of the BCM, But on your incandescent fitting this pin was used for the left low beam lamp. This means that the Leuchte-set Leuchte8FL LB42 (notice the "B42") which you are now using to operate the low beam Xenon lamp isn't available for the cornering light function (I think). The same happens on the right-side fitting

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 09-18-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent you the labels for the BCM codings. But you'll also need to dig into the Adapmaps

DV52 has a great topic on vwwatercooled.co.au with a lot of explanation on the Golf 7. The polo is a bit of the same.
    I recommend to read it, all of it, to get a touch of the MQB adaptation channels.
    http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...mk7-84619.html

Make an autoscan and make an adapmap too (VCDS -> applications -> cntroler adaptation map -> -09 and enter security code, then check adaptations and leave measurement values unchecked).

4. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd be surprised how much I've learned in these last two months ... given I've never even changed a tire before lol. This is my first car, and since it's second hand, it's with peace of mind to just "troubleshoot" it and get some knowledge along the way.

First, I really want to thank you for taking your time and explaining me how and where stuff goes / does and what ad-maps are! I guess this was the next thing to learn about, eventually ( though I have to get used to some German *sighs*, it's lovely ! ).

So, coming back to your post, after going through it a bunch of times I finally get it. I understand where your coming from, and why there's an issue with regards to my fog lights. While I can separate the cornering from the fog lights so I can move them back in the front bumper, there's basically no free "slot" to use them with, right ?

The thing which still gets me confused is, given the detailed slot description of the T46b connector (here), you would see that slot 7 and 42 are used for:
    - 7 - Right headlight main beam bulb -M32-, terminal 56a
    - 42 - Left headlight main beam bulb -M30- ,terminal 56a

The same pins, which are mentioned in the WD for the left / right headlights are supposed to be used for static cornering:
    - Left headlight WD: https://i.imgur.com/aDgbvk7.png
    - Right headlight WD: https://i.imgur.com/ax5VPcJ.png

So ... is WD wrong ? I don't really have a "low beam bulb" since it's Bi-Xenon which has a shutter for the high beam.

==================================
    *MID-POST REVELATION*

I think I realised what and how it should actually work.

Since I have a BiXenon and the "low beam" wire acts as "low - high beam" ( given it has a shutter and not two bulbs ), the main beam wire is used as static cornering. Hence the confusion I had above. So what I have to do is to change the LeuchteSet for the Fog Lights to work with the Main Beam slot 7 and 42.

Will go and do that just now ( yet to figure out how lol ), and make the wire for the fog lights, to get it back in the front bumper.

Hopefully I'm right ( since it makes sense ) ...

==== Later edit
    @iichel, yeah, thanks for the printscreen with the labels, think I'm wrapping my brains around ad-maps too will see how far I get with the "revelation" I just had.
    Last edited by EduardJS; 09-18-2017 at 09:59 AM.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ** Couldn't find DV52's tutorial which iichel mentioned above, so I tried to give it a shot myself, given DV52'S explanation.

So, following the "format" of "Direction R/L","Connector ID" and "slot ID", I figured the following should be done:

1. Leuchte12NL LB40-Light_Function_B_12 // set to "not active" from "Abbiegelicht links", since the first function is set to fog lights, it should do just that

2. Leuchte13NL RB3-Light_Function_B_13 // set to "not active" from "Abbiegelicht rechts" - same reason as above

Looked up a bit for RB7 ( Right, B connector, slot 72 ) and LB42 following the same format, and found them as follows:

3. Leuchte8FL LB42-Light_Function_A_8
    -- current value: Left High Beam
    -- set to: Abbiegelicht links

---- Function_B --> from Headlamp flasher to not active

4. Leuchte9FL RB7-Light_Function_A_9
    -- current value: Right High Beam
    -- set to: Abbiegelight rechts

---- Function_B --> from Headlamp flasher to not active

I'm pretty sure it's correct ? haha. Let's do some wiring and see how it works.

** Note, I think there need to be done some settings to the Dimming mode of the Leuchte channels I've just did ? So the BCM doesn't dim / send the wrong currennt down the wire ?

I think I need to copy the values from the fog lights settings, towards the LB7 / RB40 channels ?
    Last edited by EduardJS; 09-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot confirm the coding, but I was probably referring to this:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...F9TbGdKYVJ3eEE

9. Likes EduardJS liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Working on the wiring, going to be a late night Will get back with the results ( hopefully good ones ).

Quick question, any idea if there's easy access to the can hi / low wiring near the HVAC ? Need to connect the AFS

Post Thanks / Like
    are you sure you need HVAC?
    AFS is usually powertrain CAN
    HVAC is usually comfort CAN

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iichel View Post
    are you sure you need HVAC?
    AFS is usually powertrain CAN
    HVAC is usually comfort CAN
    No no, sorry, I meant, "near" the HVAC ( as in the location of the heater / vents ).

Post Thanks / Like
    The steering angle sensor G85 is a good place for powertrain CAN. It's located at the steering column switch.