How do I reset or activate wastegate actuator on CHPA 1.4lt TSI MK7 Golf

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay just making sure because it is a process of verification........

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hey man not to doubt you.......... it's just you wouldn't believe what I see come across my screen on a daily. :rolleyes:

I am a certified idiot most of the time myself!

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
The following Basic Settings are available:

IDE04304: First adaptation of charge pressure actuator
IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor
IDE03869: Test charge pressure actuator
IDE00457: Turbocharger test

However, I am not sure which of these is applicable to your situation, nor have I found an Output Test for that actuator.

-Uwe-

Further to my previous posts re the refitting & testing etc., & thinking aloud...

I recon that due to the design of this turbo/wastegate set-up all the testing is this list which is why there is nothing under output tests.

Because I had to have the ignition on to "activate" the servo to extent the rod by 2mm which had sprung back in after I removed the servo unit (to refit it), & think the line ""IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor"" sets the servo motor up to basically remove the unit & allow it to be refitted, much in the same way you activate the EPB unit to wind the motors back to fit new brake pads. This also backs up the fact that when I used this command line it did not cycle the motor, but did "activate" it just a bit.

The line ""IDE03869: Test charge pressure actuator"" did cycle the servo & move the rod back & forth until you told it to stop.

Maybe the descriptions these days are actually correct, unlike previously we had to second guess the bad translations???

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Right then got fed up with the pivot sticking again!!.

So removed the actuator, & had to scrape, wet sand (2000grit paper & oil) the pivot/turbo arm & all contact surfaces, they have to end up highly polished/smooth, no old baked on stuff.....basically don't use (Mintex Ceratec) any brake grease, or any so called 1000C temp stuff that is based on petroleum, lithium etc...& only use either the VW hot bolt paste (reports of problems reoccurring with this stuff) of the Loctite 1300C LB-8009 stuff or any other brand version which is calcium or graphite based.

Anyway I did not (forgot) use:-"IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor", to set the actuator up to allow easy refit...so just did what I did before, connect up the actuator, ignition on (engine off) & then you can put the pivot together as the rod extends.

Anyway did the "IDE04304: First adaptation of charge pressure actuator". This just did what the "IDE03869: Test charge pressure actuator", test did, i.e. cycle the rod back & forth. I allowed it to do this about 60 times (38sec according to log file I made) & it was still showing as running, so stopped it as it was pointless. I think there is no "auto off".

Anyway inline with the previously recommended Advanced measuring values I logged;-
Loc. IDE03934 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for lower stop, values from 3400mV to 3429.6mV
Loc. IDE03935 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for upper stop, values from 130mV to 160.4mV
Loc. IDE04303 Bypass valve for high press turboch turbine inlet: uncond volt, values from 997.6mV to 3440.6mV

Anyway the upper & lower stops are pretty good now, just the "uncondit volt" values were all over the place...50 % 33XX value, & 50% 10XX value, give or take 20 points.

Previous test results (before sticking:-
IDE03934 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for lower stop 3401.0 mV
IDE03935 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for upper stop 131.0 mV
IDE04303 Bypass valve for high press turboch turbine inlet: uncond volt 1248.8 mV

& the IDE00457: Turbocharger test, didn't run as it stated "unsafe to do so"...I think because I had the car in gear (manual) & the bonnet was open to watch the rod move....

Last edited:

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Just to add:-

Done a few long trips, & car sounds way better & is much smoother, less on/off with the turbo & more linear & like a high rev nat asp...well it is an LP turbo so should act this way & now is finally!!

Also less "rasp" metallic noise when under load at 2000rpm plus...& think position of flap is better therefore less unwarranted air turbulence in chamber...

Anway well happy now...:)

P.S. Erwin for the car (my engine with non adjustable rod) only states diagnostics for when you fit a new one. & run "0001 - Adaption of charge pressure positioner V465"...

sama13

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1044
Right then got fed up with the pivot sticking again!!.

So removed the actuator, & had to scrape, wet sand (2000grit paper & oil) the pivot/turbo arm & all contact surfaces, they have to end up highly polished/smooth, no old baked on stuff.....basically don't use (Mintex Ceratec) any brake grease, or any so called 1000C temp stuff that is based on petroleum, lithium etc...& only use either the VW hot bolt paste (reports of problems reoccurring with this stuff) of the Loctite 1300C LB-8009 stuff or any other brand version which is calcium or graphite based.

Anyway I did not (forgot) use:-"IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor", to set the actuator up to allow easy refit...so just did what I did before, connect up the actuator, ignition on (engine off) & then you can put the pivot together as the rod extends.

Anyway did the "IDE04304: First adaptation of charge pressure actuator". This just did what the "IDE03869: Test charge pressure actuator", test did, i.e. cycle the rod back & forth. I allowed it to do this about 60 times (38sec according to log file I made) & it was still showing as running, so stopped it as it was pointless. I think there is no "auto off".

Anyway inline with the previously recommended Advanced measuring values I logged;-
Loc. IDE03934 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for lower stop, values from 3400mV to 3429.6mV
Loc. IDE03935 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for upper stop, values from 130mV to 160.4mV
Loc. IDE04303 Bypass valve for high press turboch turbine inlet: uncond volt, values from 997.6mV to 3440.6mV

Anyway the upper & lower stops are pretty good now, just the "uncondit volt" values were all over the place...50 % 33XX value, & 50% 10XX value, give or take 20 points.

Previous test results (before sticking:-
IDE03934 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for lower stop 3401.0 mV
IDE03935 Charge pressure actuator: adaptation for upper stop 131.0 mV
IDE04303 Bypass valve for high press turboch turbine inlet: uncond volt 1248.8 mV

& the IDE00457: Turbocharger test, didn't run as it stated "unsafe to do so"...I think because I had the car in gear (manual) & the bonnet was open to watch the rod move....

Dave, sorry to wake up your thread but i need some help here, i have a 2018 2.0 TSI Tiguan (CZPA) and I decided to upgrade the turbo to a bigger one, which didn't have an actuator on it so I bought a new actuator and fitted on the bench. I followed your indications on how to setup but strangely the turbo seems like the WG is open and takes a lot of time to close even if the WG actual position indicates 95% when doing a log. Could it be possible that even though my parameters are near recommended voltage it could be open.

I attach picture of the same channels you shared. (Uwe, finally understood why the image never uploaded)

kQQvsM8.jpg

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Dave, sorry to wake up your thread but i need some help here, i have a 2018 2.0 TSI Tiguan (CZPA) and I decided to upgrade the turbo to a bigger one, which didn't have an actuator on it so I bought a new actuator and fitted on the bench. I followed your indications on how to setup but strangely the turbo seems like the WG is open and takes a lot of time to close even if the WG actual position indicates 95% when doing a log. Could it be possible that even though my parameters are near recommended voltage it could be open.

I attach picture of the same channels you shared. (Uwe, finally understood why the image never uploaded)

kQQvsM8.jpg

Sorry I've not replied earlier as I've not been on here for years & have not been getting email notifications either...

That engine is completely different & so is the turbo/wastegate setup compared to mine..yours might have an adjustable rod on the WG actuator...

sama13

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1044
thanks Dave I was able to get it going, this message went into my spam as well
Sorry I've not replied earlier as I've not been on here for years & have not been getting email notifications either...

That engine is completely different & so is the turbo/wastegate setup compared to mine..yours might have an adjustable rod on the WG actuator...

Jim Beagley

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=349735
I have just replaced an actuator today on a 2013 Audi A3 1.4 Tfsi, and used the info on this post to set it up. I thought I should add a few notes for anyone doing the same;

The old actuator on the turbo was still operating, but there was a lot of play in the small knuckle on the end of the rod where it meets the actuator, and this was causing the car to intermittently throw a code at startup - 19404 turbo charger boost system performance P2263.
If the car did not throw a code up at start up, it would be fine for the rest of the journey, so i'm assuming the actuator cycles when the ignition is switched on and checks the parameters are within the specified adaption limits.
The replacement actuator on this car had an adjustable rod. I believe the later ones had a fixed rod. In order to set it up after fitting, I first used the [IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor] function in basic settings. This pulls the actuator to its lower limit. I then adjusted the actuator rod whilst watching the advanced measuring value IDE04303 until I obtained the specified value of 3410mv (between 3310mv and 3510mv).
I then used the [IDE04304: First adaptation of charge pressure actuator] function in basic settings, and allowed it to cycle the actuator until it was happy.
It's worth noting that no security access/ login was required.
This seemed to work perfectly, and the car seems to run far better generally, and is significantly more responsive.

It's the first time I have carried out this procedure, but it was all very straightforward. I may not have done it by the book, but it seemed to work - maybe just luck!

Hope this helps...

J-Michel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=567704
Thanks to have shared your experience.
I have also to replace the turbo actuator on my 2016 A3 1.4 TFSI. My engine is CZEA type, the actuator P/N is 04E.145.725.BC and the adjustable rod is as follows:

142yxNZ.jpeg

Are your actuator and engine the same as mine?

Back