7 speed dry clutch DSG noise

m_bolc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230356
I searched the forums and can't quite find what I'm experiencing.

I test drove a 2014 A3 1.8t, s-tronic 7 speed dry clutch. When pulling off slowly around a corner (think turning right at a stop light) under normal throttle application I heard a humming sound coming from what I assume is the transmission. The noise stopped as soon as the clutch was engaged fully engaged.

The noise is noticeable but not loud, sounds like a fog horn (https://youtu.be/r5BBTwo-_A0 similar to this sound really). If it were a manual car I'd say the clutch is worn out.

Additionally when starting from a stop I could feel the ever so slightest shudder when the clutches were engaging.

Is the clutch pack toast? The lead technician at the dealer said he doesn't think it's coming from the DSG, but from the electric power steering (do not agree as you can clearly feel when the electronic wizard is engaging the clutch).

Danners74

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273244
Sorry dude the 1.8 S-tronic is a wet type clutch. Due to the power output of the vehicle it could never support a dry clutch set up. It would tear them to shreads.

m_bolc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230356
I though EU cars were using dry clutches. Anywho, is the clutch pack toast in this one?

Back