Current Versions

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
1.957 config utility updating fairly nicely except for continuously showing need for a DS update, downloading 4 blocks of ROD data and then a subsequent check showing same issue. Interestingly, when the auto-play popup shows up - actually just before it shows up, I see a chkdsk needed warning from windows....

Update: Clearing Dataset cache from web interface doesn't fix the chkdsk warning, have been repeatedly accepting ROD updates but they don't appear to really make progress. I'm guessing the filesystem really is corrupted? (Which might explain persistent inability to completely update RODs?)

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Richard, what version of Windows are you using?

-Uwe-

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
Richard, what version of Windows are you using?

Win 7 Enterprise x64

I think I fixed it - killed the config utility once it mounted the disk, allowed Windoze to chkdsk and fix the filesystem, then unmounted and clean ejected. Unplugged HN, replugged HN, re-ran utility and only one ROD update was needed then happiness (at least says I'm up-to-date).

ETA: Nope, I spoke too soon - it's not complaining about chkdsk anymore, but still needing some updates.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
killed the config utility once it mounted the disk, allowed Windoze to chkdsk and fix the filesystem
I'm not sure whether that's a good idea. ;-)

ETA: Nope, I spoke too soon - it's not complaining about chkdsk anymore, but still needing some updates.
I'm pretty sure that's a bug that needs to get addressed.

-Uwe-

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
I'm not sure whether that's a good idea. ;-)

I wasn't either, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. It does appear there was some filesystem corruption, but either it's not the problem, or the updater can't quite get past the results.

I'm pretty sure that's a bug that needs to get addressed.

Is there a way to see/log exactly which RODs it's trying to update? I sense there are 3-4 different ones, but the way the display goes, it seems to only show the current file at a given moment in time - so I'm never 100% sure it's updating the same ones. I see what appear to be the ECU, ACC, maybe headlight range, going by.

I was surprised that after doing a web-interface "Clear dataset cache" the java updater is still trying to update these.... so maybe there's an updater issue?

I'm happy to try debugging or generating whatever y'all need - just point me in the right direction.

Richard

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Richard,
When the hex-net is mounted to the computer (at the point in the update when it does this) can you grab the file called rodlist.txt out of the root directory of the hex-net and either email it to me or post is here. This will tell us what file it is trying to get.

--Shaun

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
When the hex-net is mounted to the computer (at the point in the update when it does this) can you grab the file called rodlist.txt out of the root directory of the hex-net and either email it to me or post is here. This will tell us what file it is trying to get.

Sure - is there a "safe" way to do this, or just use the kill kludge I did above? Email to shaun@ I assume?

Richard

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
It is a kludgy way to get that file, yes.

Ok, will probably be tonight before I can get it, but will shoot it over as soon as I can.

Richard

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610

Hmmm, no rodlist.txt - just rodlist and rodlist-2 (no file extensions). Email sent anyway.

Richard

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hmmm, no rodlist.txt - just rodlist and rodlist-2 (no file extensions).

Same thing on mine that's stuck in the loop...
Interesting thing is it auto-mounted as drive E: when I plugged it into Windoze.

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
Interesting thing is it auto-mounted as drive E: when I plugged it into Windoze.

Hmmm, Windoze box withOUT the VCDS drivers? I never tried that...

Richard

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
It's not that. The Java config utility sends HEX-NET a special command to offer up a USB mass storage device during the upgrade, and turns it off when it's finished. It's similar to say, an Android phone where you have to explicitly tell it to offer up its onboard storage as a USB device to the host, otherwise it doesn't.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085

With. Did the same on a Mac...
I think it was stuck in an unusual state since power cycling it stopped the behaviour.

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
With. Did the same on a Mac...
I think it was stuck in an unusual state since power cycling it stopped the behaviour.

OIC, whenever I hook to the computer I'm only USB-powered so I naturally power-cycle between USB plug-in events. My bad. I understood the utility function switching, just hadn't ever tried to see what the default driver would be - or don't remember what happened when I tried that ages ago ;)

Richard

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
OIC, whenever I hook to the computer I'm only USB-powered so I naturally power-cycle between USB plug-in events.

Apologies - I should have clarified what I did.
The HN is usually connected via USB to a Mac, but seeing your exchange with Shaun I attached to the to W8.1 VM on the same machine.
Idea was that the Windoze version might complete the update....

Edit: And who wouldn't want to poke around behind the curtain if you get a chance :cool:

Last edited:

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hmmm, no rodlist.txt - just rodlist and rodlist-2 (no file extensions). Email sent anyway.

Richard

Yes sorry, this is the file I meant.

--Shaun

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Did VCDS 14.10.0 just get refreshed ?
My machine asked to update it and I could swear I already did.

Also see some HN FW updates....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Did VCDS 14.10.0 just get refreshed ?
If so, somebody did it behind my back, and unless I'm unconscious or dead, that would be a -CLM- around here.

Is it possible you had an old version installed somewhere else and that's what triggered it? Did it ask you to update when you started VCDS or when you booted up the machine?

Also see some HN FW updates....
I suspect at least one of your HNs is on the Alpha channel. That means it may get stuff before it's announced here. ;)

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Is it possible you had an old version installed somewhere else and that's what triggered it? Did it ask you to update when you started VCDS or when you booted up the machine?

It is possible there is an old version as this was the machine I was confused about earlier in this thread.
The update notification popped up out of the blue this afternoon.

More than likely just an anomaly on my goofball VM.
Speaking of which I have got to clean it up because I used the wrong version of the config utility today. Again.

I suspect at least one of your HNs is on the Alpha channel. That means it may get stuff before it's announced here. ;)

It was both of them.

This never happened.... everyone move along.... nothing to see here :p

WJEVCze.png

ps- I still owe you an updated Auto-Scan which I'll do as soon as work stops trying to comminution me...

Back