Current Versions

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Question: I just ran an update and was told that there was a CB update available but it showed the FW was the same. After that update was installed, I was reading this thread and found out there was a newer FW than what was installed on my Hex-Net unit. I then told it to check for updates and it found the new FW update. Why weren't both updates found the first time?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Thanks, Jason!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS Beta 14.5.3

• Requires codeblock 4105 which has fixes for partial measuring blocks
  • More reliable DTC read in 1281. Please test this on all things KW1281 (old cars!)
  • Improved handling of HEXNET timeout while receiving slow messages
  • Sanity check while receiving messages that would take too long
  • Improved detection of dropped sessions
  • Improved reliability of slow measuring blocks with 1281 controllers at low baudrates
  • Fixed potential crash writing ADP or MWB map header if no part number was retrieved

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Two part update is out today, including CB V0.4106 and DS00000027
Make sure you get both, as they will download as separate components.

They include some fixes, especially for newer cars, as well as some hopefully helpful tweaks to the formatting of some things. More details above.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS Beta 14.6.0

• Requires codeblock 4106 -- so update your HEX-NET first!
  • More responsive and informative K-line init status
  • Fix for GVL recode on MQB platform cars.
  • Fix for RLFS-type slave recode on UDS
  • Fix corrupted data when generating debug with HEX-NET and long packets
  • Fix Auto-COM crash

PanEuropean

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11844
Two part update is out today, including CB V0.4106 and DS00000027

Hi Shaun:

I have figured out that 'CB' means Code Block, but what does 'DS' mean? Are you now introducing support for elderly Citroen limousines? :o Also, does this 'DS' component install onto the computer (meaning, it is part of the VCDS 14.6.0 package), or does it install into the HEX-NET interface?

Michael

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hey, you work in an industry where practically EVERYTHING is expressed as an acronym. ADF, DME, FBO, HF, ILS, KIAS, NDB, VOR, OTS, PMA, RNAV, TCA, UTC, VOR, etc, ad infinitum. So please cut us some slack. ;)

DS = Data Set. On the HEX-NET, it's almost everything that isn't actual program code. It installs in the HEX-NET; it is not part of VCDS (which might be construed to stand for "VAG COM Diagnostic System").

-Uwe-

PanEuropean

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11844
Hey, you work in an industry where practically EVERYTHING is expressed as an acronym.

You are correct - however, when I write manuals, technical documentation, or technical support publications (such as the Aircraft Flight Manual, the Aircraft Maintenance Manual, and the Avionics Pilot Guide), I make certain that if I do use an acronym, I always spell out in parentheses, at first use, what the acronym represents. Doing that does not increase my workload (other than having to type a few more letters), it does not inconvenience readers who are familiar with the acronym, but it most certainly improves comprehension and saves time for readers who may not have immediate recall of that particular acronym at the very top of their head. This is an especially important consideration for readers who don't have English as their first language.

My experience, which comes primarily from training and safety management, is that acronyms rarely provide any benefit unless they are extremely well known (USA, NATO, USB, etc.). Acronyms other than extremely well known ones detract from the clarity, lucidity, and effectiveness of technical publications. One of the only circumstances I can think of where use of an acronym improves clarity of written communication is when the same lengthy phrase needs to be repeated numerous times in a series of paragraphs. In that case, using the acronym (after spelling it out at first use) simplifies the text by avoiding continuous repetition of the phrase the acronym represents. But using an acronym 'once only' instead of spelling the words out in full yields no benefit to the reader.

My suggestion to Ross-Tech, so far as acronyms are concerned, is that you critically evaluate the benefits (none, really) versus the disadvantages (noted above) of acronym use, both in publications and in the support fora. Sure, it's fine to use acronyms in internal correspondence such as memos between the programming team members or between two employees - but in any writing that will be read by your customers, either avoid using acronyms altogether, or, if a phrase needs to be repeated several times on the same page, spell the acronym out in parentheses at first use.

Michael

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Agreed about the documentation, which is a bit sparse ATM (at the moment).

As for the forum, Santos and I were discussing that earlier. We don't think we'll ever get some people to spell stuff out. However, there's a plug-in that uses a custom dictionary to decode acronyms when the user hovers his cursor over them. We plan to install that ASAP (as soon as possible). :cool:

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Agreed about the documentation, which is a bit sparse ATM (at the moment).

As for the forum, Santos and I were discussing that earlier. We don't think we'll ever get some people to spell stuff out. However, there's a plug-in that uses a custom dictionary to decode acronyms when the user hovers his cursor over them. We plan to install that ASAP (as soon as possible). :cool:

-Uwe-

Or even RSN (Real Soon Now)? ;)

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
there's a plug-in that uses a custom dictionary to decode acronyms when the user hovers his cursor over them.

Ah yes, the world renowned WTFISIT (Wiki Translator For Interpreting Stuff In Threads) plug-in :cool:

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
CB 0.4107 is out, with fixes for the phaeton and some similar modules

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS Beta 14.6.1

• Requires CB v4107 with OBD2-14230 and Phaeton fixes
  • Fixed potential crash if HEX-NET floods VCDS during ping
  • Fixed wrong freeze frame displayed if empty freeze frame response received under UDS
  • Simplified wifi receive routine and eliminated potential non-decryption issue
  • Many OBD2 fixes

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Why don't i get 14.6.1, or is it not out yet? I currently updated to 14.6.0.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Correct; it can take up to 24 hours for automatic updates to "propagate".

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
CB V0.4108 is out, additional fixes for two modules in the phaeton

Back