Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Lap died

  1. #11
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    19,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by refueler View Post
    I have another problem the laptop that I purchased to replace the other laptop and installed the hex net program onto has a problem. The problem is with the mouse pad and the geek squad is telling me to trade it in for a new machine. Is there a procedure to solve this problem or can I just download the program again.
    Yes, your license to use VCDS is embedded in your HEX-NET. This means you can download, install, and use VCDS on any computer that you wish.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  2. #12
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cornish (USA)
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like
    The next question is should I delete the vcds program from the laptop before I turn it in to get a new computer? I probably should have planned ahead and asked this question in the first post.

  3. #13
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    19,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by refueler View Post
    The next question is should I delete the vcds program from the laptop before I turn it in to get a new computer? I probably should have planned ahead and asked this question in the first post.
    No need to delete VCDS. It doesn't do anything useful without an interface. But you may want to have a look in your Logs and Scans folders and grab whatever you've got there for posterity.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  4. #14
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cornish (USA)
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for your help

  5. #15
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by refueler View Post
    I have another problem the laptop that I purchased to replace the other laptop and installed the hex net program onto has a problem. The problem is with the mouse pad and the geek squad is telling me to trade it in for a new machine. Is there a procedure to solve this problem or can I just download the program again.
    I think it's time to Bite the Bullet and buy a new machine.

  6. #16
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SouthEast England
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    No need to delete VCDS. It doesn't do anything useful without an interface. But you may want to have a look in your Logs and Scans folders and grab whatever you've got there for posterity.

    -Uwe-
    I'm doing the same thing - moving to a new laptop.

    Is there any reason why I shouldn't just copy and paste the whole of the Ross-Tech directory (from the root of the Windows C: drive) straight into the new machine - or will that screw up the config if a virgin copy of VCDS has just been installed on the new machine?

  7. #17
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    19,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't just copy and paste the whole of the Ross-Tech directory (from the root of the Windows C: drive) straight into the new machine - or will that screw up the config if a virgin copy of VCDS has just been installed on the new machine?
    Well, Uninstall won't work because you won't have any registry entries telling it what to uninistall. No big deal really.

    You also won't have desktop or Start Menu short-cuts. Oh, and if you're using a "legacy" interface, you'd have to install the drivers for it manually. You can certainly do that, but I think it would be better to properly install VCDS on the new machine, then copy & paste the some of the sub-folders; Logs and Scans being the most important, but Debug and Scaling couldn't hurt either.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  8. #18
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SouthEast England
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will do - thanks.

    BTW... I know the software development world hopes that Linux will just go away and die, but is there a good guide somewhere about getting VCDS running under Linux (Mint, latest version)? I've tried the link in the FAQ (IIRC) from a couple of years ago about getting it working under Wine, but it didn't work for me! Really would like to crack that one as VCDS is literally the only thing that I have to build my laptop top run Windows for (as well as dual-boot to Linux) and it's just a pain...

  9. #19
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    19,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Will do - thanks.

    BTW... I know the software development world hopes that Linux will just go away and die, but is there a good guide somewhere about getting VCDS running under Linux (Mint, latest version)? I've tried the link in the FAQ (IIRC) from a couple of years ago about getting it working under Wine, but it didn't work for me! Really would like to crack that one as VCDS is literally the only thing that I have to build my laptop top run Windows for (as well as dual-boot to Linux) and it's just a pain...
    Not that I am aware of.

    I think the biggest hangup was the drivers for the FTDI chip in the "legacy" USB interfaces.

    Someone who likes to play with Linux might want to try again with the a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET, on USB both enumerate as HID devices, and the HEX-NET can communicate via TCP/IP / WiFi.

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •