Status
Not open for further replies.

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
This seems a little off topic for this forum, apologies if it is.

Is anyone familiar with Liqui Moly Cera Tec oil additive? If so, have you seen good results or any results?

I have a 2010 VW Passat 2.0T TSI and run 5W40 Ravenol VMO full synthetic oil but am always looking for ways to change things up if they will cause an improvement. I don't see any real burn off with my current oil and I'm doing changes every 7500 or so miles.

This is my first VW / turbo'ed vehicle and have noticed some hesitation off the line. It seems the hesitation has gotten every so slightly more noticeable but I suppose that could just be me. There has also always been a clicking noise when the engine runs but I have noticed the same sound coming from VW's. A little back story as well, I bought this vehicle about a year ago and roughly 6 months into owning it the engine had to be replaced. The remand engine has roughly 20k miles on it now.

So again, would it be wroth using this additive since I hold Ravenol to be a good oil? Does anyone have any good experience with this additive?

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
I think if you Google liqui moly ceratec you will find Bob the oil guy. You might feel more confused about it after reading a bit on it. Like to know how many miles and what failed on the engine

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
@ivagp
That is exactly what has lead me to post here about it. I have ran all over google searches the past two months off and on about this subject. I've seen the warnings about it harming spark plugs and it being useless if you use good oil.

As far as the engine it had under 140k miles on it (2.0T TSI). The first shop I took it to only told me there is no compression and to replace the engine. I took it to VW and found out the dealer I bought the car from actually had the car there before I bought it and they recommended him replace the engine. Instead he towed it back to his local shop, paid someone under the table to make it run and sold it fast without taking full ownership of the vehicle until the day he sold it. I was told a common problem was the timing belt slipping which causes something to lock up and put back pressure into the engine that bent out all the valves. The VW dealership said there was two options, if damage wasn't sever then they could rebuild my engine but seeing as it wasn't the first time it had most likely happened to this engine it ended up just being pulled and replaced. This is all from memory, I'm sure I am forgetting details (Just got taken off my Topamax since I was having so many side effects, memory issues being a big one haha).

All in all, just looking to squeeze every drop of precious time out of this car as I can. I actually love this car or I wouldn't of dropped as much money into a engine as I did. So if something like Cera Tec will keep it running smoother for longer then I wouldn't mind giving it a shot and I know I wont find a definitive answer one way or another. Just looking for some solid opinions specifically with VW's and even with it mixing with Ravenol if anyone else uses it. (Another thing I cant find much research on).

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Buddy whatever you're going to use, use the same brand of oil and additive. Firstly do a flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back