Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I measure crankcase blow by gases and vacuum.... & so should you! Air leaks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,

Is there a specific gauge you suggest? Brand/model? Some gauges may not registered the low values very well, or at all.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,

Is there a specific gauge you suggest? Brand/model? Some gauges may not registered the low values very well, or at all.
    I didn't even think of that because I am still using my snap-on sets from 30 years ago and which say "Made in USA" on them.

In addition my all metal Mighty Vac sweeps in both directions on a single line plugged in too....

Let's see.......this would be cheap enough maybe....no?

Example not endorsed seller, nor am I selling this.

Eric found this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-Fuel-P...72.m2749.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Utility-Va...gAAOSwVcFXPISk
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 08-16-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    O
    K Jack, so if I did this ... what numbers should I see? From your own experience? What would be considered "normal" readings ... and what would be considered "abnormal" readings? Would they be similar to "normal" vacuum readings?
    I am not going to disseminate the base figures at this time.

See that is going to have to be determined by trial on your own, as can others report back numbers found & to compare and build a database for each platform they are testing.

Engines and wear + situations differ but it is the drastic change you are seeking & that points to a problem while on a real life road test.

Now it's your & everyone else's turn to engage the collective to contribute.

Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me say this to be clear.......this method of diagnosis is for anomaly's in the crankcase gasses for vacuum or boost/PSI & which can also be excessive, due to blow by.

A base reading of what normal vacuum or PSI can be seen in the intake manifold & to compare them, you should not be so concerned with what is a normal value by just observing the base PSI or vacuum in the crankcase as a rule.

Crimp tests can be used to isolate and establish a base line for any specific motor, further by cross checking values or isolating check valves.

As for what Jef aforementioned about values not being able to be seen depending on a gauge.
    I kind of strongly disagree here.
    You can see for yourself by inducing issues such as a stuck PCV valve or Boost being permitted to divert directly into the crankcase. This will register pretty drastic on a road test & when either conditions are present being out of bounds.

If excessive vacuum is found in the crankcase the engine will consume oil and plug stuff up and when in a boost leak or high blow by situation carbon build up at valves will be excessive and seals will weep or stretch; to the point they leak air causing a trim to go dump fuel. This results in issues such as SAI tubes plugged etc........hence more oil consumption issues.

Both issues if not kept in a working zone of equilibrium, will cause an oil consumption issue or induced oil leaks.

Please think of basics of operation and where do gases come from, how do they effect a situation vicariously & when they are triggering a phantom MIL.
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 08-17-2017 at 01:47 PM.

5. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post

You will find on occasions that Jef, Dana, and Peter speak of rear seals popping on the crank, further causing an air leak.
    Yep, it happens and makes a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats a great idea and where might i buy a gauge just like yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is very old but there are tons of them online or at any tool dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT NO STICKY .............?

This thread is very important that people start observing it!