Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Recommendations

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop Recommendations

Not sure if this is the best place post this....

Looking for recommendations on a laptop for VCDS. I currently have a Lenovo G570 I think i got in (2012/13) which is just too slow now. I'm primarily a Mac user but have usually had one Windows PC/laptop for VCDS and one other application that is Windows only. I don't need a super powered machine but needed something with a bit more umph.

I'm not that knowledgeable with Windows machines anymore so I'd be happy for some input on what a decent brand is. My only preference would be a 13in model or smaller. My current one is 15in, larger than i would prefer for using in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dascc View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a laptop for VCDS. I currently have a Lenovo G570 I think i got in (2012/13) which is just too slow now.
    Color me confused. That machine has a Core i5 CPU, right? VCDS should run more than happily on it.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

Post Thanks / Like
    My laptop is Samsung NP350E7C-A04UK 17.3" which I brought from Argos in the UK for 348 in 2012, which I use all the time. I know you say you would like a 13" or smaller to use in a car. I find it ok in a car because when you have additional popups in VCDS VC-Scope you can drag these to the side. On a small screen you don't have the room.

All new laptops come with Windows 10 which is compatible with VCDS. I hate all operating systems after Windows 7. My Samsung came with Windows 8 which I hated. I bought a bigger hard drive and put Windows 7 on it, it been great ever since. The main thing I hated was no Start button. I installed ClassicShell which it free to download put the Start button back.

I did try the free install of Windows 10 that Microsoft were pushing all the time. I tried it for a test to see if all my software would still work. There are 2 pieces of additional software to my own I use all the time. ETKA and ElsaWin. ETKA wouldn't even run even setting the compatibility back to Windows 7. ElsaWin worked but for some strange reason it changed the language back to German, which I changed back to English. Because ETKA wouldn't work I uninstalled Windows 10 which put back Windows 7.

One of the common quotes from Bill Gates many years ago is that software will work on ALL versions of Windows produces.

For car use I wouldn't say you need a super fast laptop so just Google the best deals in your area.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    My laptop is Samsung NP350E7C-A04UK 17.3" which I brought from Argos in the UK for 348 in 2012, which I use all the time. I know you say you would like a 13" or smaller to use in a car. I find it ok in a car because when you have additional popups in VCDS VC-Scope you can drag these to the side. On a small screen you don't have the room.
    What will fit on a screen depends on the screen's resolution, not its size. Your 17" Samsung looks to have 1600x900. I have a 13" Dell here with 1920x1080. Guess which one fits more info?

-Uwe-

5. Likes Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Color me confused. That machine has a Core i5 CPU, right? VCDS should run more than happily on it.

-Uwe-
    Not sure of the CPU, I'd have to go take a look.

VCDS runs fine for the most part, it was bugging out at the time I posted this. It was telling me that my application was out of date however the "update" button was greyed out. I ended up going to the RossTech site to download the current version.

But anyways, simple things like running Internet Explorer, will take a couple minutes to load when opening up. Chrome is a bit faster but not by much. I'll click the start menu and it will take a 10+ seconds to pop-up. Same thing when trying to access the control panel.

The laptop is used solely for VCDS & car repair related youtube vids and for one work based site that only loads properly on IE. The only programs I've installed on it is VCDS, Chrome, and Microsoft Office.

I would like something that could handle those tasks a bit more snappier- I don't need tons of computing power. preferably $500 or less.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like something's not right there. The wifes laptop displays similar symptoms to yours, and I don't know how she manages to crock a laptop like she does. All my laptops work fine, she gets her hands on a brand new one and within 3 months she's got it running like a bag of snails having a slow race.

Time to wipe it completely and reload a fresh Windows install I think.

8. Likes Uwe, Gary, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dassc

i am also a mac only person and through VCDS needed to get a windows laptop, saw a post on a English forum and thought I would try it, hp x2 detachable 10-p0xx this is only USED for the VCDS ,

although i bought it in France but sure the states would have similar model, as link below is identical

https://www.amazon.com/HP-10-inch-De...RC3N7E1F8745HJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Time to wipe it completely and reload a fresh Windows install I think.
    Or just replace the original spinny drive in that Lenovo with a modern SSD and load a fresh Windows 7 on that.

-Uwe-

11. Likes Gary liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Or just replace the original spinny drive in that Lenovo with a modern SSD and load a fresh Windows 7 on that.

-Uwe-
    Totally agree with this, I use Samsung EVO SSD in all my Laptops and Desktops, you won't believe how much more quicker they are in all aspects. Can be expensive, just choose the right size for your application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Totally agree with this, I use Samsung EVO SSD in all my Laptops and Desktops, you won't believe how much more quicker they are in all aspects. Can be expensive, just choose the right size for your application.
    Yeah, the only problem with that approach is you're never sure how much of the improvement is due to the SSD vs. how much is simply due to the fresh/clean Windows.

-Uwe-

14. Likes DV52 liked this post