Status
Not open for further replies.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Some new laptops have absurdly high screen resolution. Windows 8/8.1 is supposed to help with scaling... not sure what it does. It works for some apps and not others. I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for my daughter, and its resolution is 3200x1800. I didn't try VCDS on it, but the tooltip for that slider says the max size is 1920x1200.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Wi...display-or-graphics-size-in-some/ta-p/1294787

I think Michael may have hit the same thing with his MS Surface.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I think Michael may have hit the same thing with his MS Surface.

Haven't seen this issue with my Surface Pro 3, but it's mostly for VCDS and comfy chair surfing....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The classic version of VCDS doesn't size anything in Pixels, it's all whatever the "units" are in MFC. Thus it should scale as gracefully as any conventional Windows program. At 1920x1200 on a 13" screen, I'd probably not ask Windows to do any scaling, but at 3200x1800, you might have little choice unless you want to go to the drug store and get some OTC "reading glasses". ;)

-Uwe-

PS: Jason, let me know what you think of that Yoga; if I were in the market for a new travel laptop, it would be on my short list. At the moment, I'm still suffering through with a boot-camped 4+ year old MacBook Air (1440 x 900).

audibmi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105413
thanks santos, the window size adjustment was the tweak i was looking for!

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
PS: Jason, let me know what you think of that Yoga; if I were in the market for a new travel laptop, it would be on my short list. At the moment, I'm still suffering through with a boot-camped 4+ year old MacBook Air (1440 x 900).
I used it for a couple of days myself before I gave it to her today. We ordered model 59428037 which seems to be a sweet-spot. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I think the stand mode would be great for VCDS Desktop touch-screen usage but I haven't personally tried it.

Pros:
  • The touch screen is stunningly beautiful.
  • Light, but still feels robust.
  • All four of its "modes" have good value.
  • Front-facing camera, with face-recognition unlock (haven't tried this).
  • SSD is an absolute game-changer, if your MacBook doesn't have one.
  • Keyboard back-light can be turned on if you like to compute in the dark.
  • Best speakers/sound I've heard from any laptop or tablet.
  • Suspend and resume performance aren't quite as good as a tablet device, but they're close.
  • Serviceable - can be opened with reasonable effort, parts are available, and Lenovo provides repair guides.
Cons:
  • SD card reader isn't fully internal; an inserted SD card still sticks half-way out. Harder to use for augmenting built-in SSD.
  • Ports are sacrificed. Only two USB ports, I think, and no built-in wired Ethernet (you have to buy a dongle).
  • It's heavier than any true tablet you would buy.
  • Built-in wireless is still only 802.11n and only 2.4GHz (many people are retrofitting the 802.11ac dual-band card separately, only $35).
  • Screen is glossy so you'll sometimes get a bit of glare/reflection depending on your lighting.
  • Occasional issues with applications that don't play well Windows 8.1 DPI scaling; a few things may appear tiny for no apparent reason.
  • If you're on Windows 7, or you install Start8 or similar on Windows 8, this is the point where you get to suck it up and learn Metro.
Jason

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
At risk of posting on-topic :D ... here are a couple of asks for the iOS app:

1) Please provide an option to disable the iDevice screen dimming/sleeping - VCDS Mobile doesn't seem to trigger the "activity" so leaving the gauge display up for example still had my iPhone4S dimming and shutting off the display :(

2) Please revisit the "Close" arrow - I know this is a stupid user trick, but I keep hitting that thinking it should be "Back" and dropping out of the Hex-Net entirely :( Maybe an optional "Are you sure?" prompt for fat-fingered untrainables like me?

Did I mention how much I love the auto-finding of the Hex-Net? :D

Richard

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
1) Please provide an option to disable the iDevice screen dimming/sleeping - VCDS Mobile doesn't seem to trigger the "activity" so leaving the gauge display up for example still had my iPhone4S dimming and shutting off the display :(

Ditto.

When I use Chrome the phone nearly has a 'special' moment from all the up/down thumb action I give it during an Auto-Scan so it doesn't go to sleep....
I *think* HEX-NET was designed for this scenario, but I get nervous.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
When I use Chrome the phone nearly has a 'special' moment from all the up/down thumb action I give it during an Auto-Scan so it doesn't go to sleep....
I *think* HEX-NET was designed for this scenario, but I get nervous.
IIRC, I don't think it deals well with having to reload/re-navigate to the auto-scan page during a scan. I've run into that before when I fall off Infrastructure WiFi during a scan. I'm sure they intend to deal with it later, though. I have sat on that and other Mobile feedback because I know they're focused elsewhere at the moment.

In the meantime, number one on my personal wish-list: track down all the workflows and page-rendering code in Mobile that do THIS:

something-somethingelse.gif

And make it stop. :confused: :mad: :p

This isn't iPhone-only, but I ran across that GIF a while back and I've been itching to use it, since it so aptly describes what's happening.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
In the meantime, number one on my personal wish-list: track down all the workflows and page-rendering code in Mobile that do THIS:

Ha!

Number one on my list is don't make me scroll to the bottom like Suzy Shopper to hit SAVE.
That's insane when we know it's complete - and you and I have more than 10 modules - which ain't a number that's going down.
Michael's C7 press car scan is the only one I've seen that beat mine !

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Number one on my list is don't make me scroll to the bottom like Suzy Shopper to hit SAVE.
That's insane when we know it's complete - and you and I have more than 10 modules - which ain't a number that's going down.
Michael's C7 press car scan is the only one I've seen that beat mine !
Hard to disagree. In fact, Uwe was talking elsewhere about just saving them by default, and I'm pretty cool with that.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hard to disagree. In fact, Uwe was talking elsewhere about just saving them by default, and I'm pretty cool with that.

Yep, I've asked about it too 5 or so months ago:

Any thoughts on the Auto-Scan autosave, or is that just me not having the ASAM data fully updated at that point ?

HN should save them when it's done as far as I am concerned.

Edit: To clarify my stance on privacy - do it AFTER I press the button and consent, don't force me to get a freebie like TSA [Theatre Security Ass-ociates] does.
[/rant]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back