Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    Well, my 45 year old Beetle works out to about 1250 times - and it's still on its original tank, with full capacity available
    Which is more than current battery technologies can offer, typically a best case of 500 cycles.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Which is more than current battery technologies can offer, typically a best case of 500 cycles.
    Not sure where that number comes from.

That would mean we get less than 2 years of battery out of a volt, mines 2013 and still going strong, and you can refer to the volt forums to see how long the original MY are still going strong. I believe there are a handful with over a million miles now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    Unless you drive long distances (300+) every day, how often do you really make those long trips?
    Typically once per month to visit elderly relatives.

to consider as a society, when traveling over 300 miles (or whatever particular range you want to choose), perhaps is time to start looking at other modes of travel, such as plane/train/bus.
    I don't think most parents of young children would accept that plane/train/bus would be a suitable alternative in many cases, the amount of equipment needed when taking a baby or toddler on a long trip is mind boggling (especially for us older people).

Personal transportation has shaped our society, and it's up to technologists and engineers to develop credible alternatives that don't require lifestyle changes so severe as to challenge the accepted norms.

4. Likes Uwe, vreihen, Da Tow'd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where that number comes from.
    I spent the last 5 working years before I retired last year working on battery systems, and every battery manufacturer we spoke to would not guarantee a lifetime of more than 500 charge/discharge cycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the last 5 working years before I retired last year working on battery systems, and every battery manufacturer we spoke to would not guarantee a lifetime of more than 500 charge/discharge cycles.
    When I was involved with a solar-powered race car team about 20 years ago, I met with the engineers at a local custom battery manufacturer to see what could be fabricated working within the event's arcane lead-acid battery rules. They told me that they could get 33% more energy out of each battery...at the expense of longevity. Zero warranty, and they estimated 10 charge/discharge cycles before the plates were shot. They manufactured 4 sets for that project - one for practice/testing, one for qualifying, one for the race, and a spare in case they were wrong with the lifetime math.....

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    They told me that they could get 33% more energy out of each battery...at the expense of longevity.
    Great for one-off projects, but not something that can be carried over to mass produced items.

9. Likes vreihen, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great for one-off projects, but not something that can be carried over to mass produced items.
    No argument there. The battery packs were essentially disposable, as a tradeoff for the extra capacity under the arcane lead-acid battery rules that all competitors had to work within. Not suitable for production use, well, except for maybe in a kid's R/C toy car.....

Post Thanks / Like
    https://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-...tric-vehicles/

A New Normal: How Audi Is Developing Fully Electric Vehicles
    OCTOBER 16, 2017 AT 11:28 AM BY BENGT HALVORSON

Electric vehicles are unlikely to make up more than a small percentage of the new-vehicle market five years from now—even tripling last year’s EV market share in the United States would mean less than 5 percent overall. Still, EVs will have effectively graduated from the minor leagues—compliance-car conversions of gasoline vehicles made electric, like the Volkswagen e-Golf—to the majors. And that will suffice to herald a different era of vehicle development. Currently, most major automakers are at work on dedicated electric-vehicle platforms, new supply chains, and, likely, different production methods for the EVs they’ll be selling in 2022. In recent discussions and interviews with Audi executives, we asked what’s changing as they develop cars for this new era, especially considering the automaker’s stepped-up electrification plan, which now calls for battery-electric vehicles to comprise one-third of global sales volume by 2025. Development is already in the later stages for the e-tron Quattro and the e-tron Sportback, Audi’s first two fully electric models (the Sportback is pictured above in concept form for the Shanghai auto show). Both will be assembled in Brussels, Belgium, along with Audi’s own battery packs and are expected to arrive in calendar year 2019 for the United States. There’s a third core e-tron model yet to be revealed that will arrive by 2021, and others beyond that, potentially sharing elements with Volkswagen’s I.D. electric vehicles. Under a Completely Different Hood There’s a lot changing about the way the company develops vehicles as a consequence, the execs told us. Audi will move to keep the core electric powertrain components under its direct control. For instance, it will be installing its own motor design in the e-tron Quattro and Sportback. But that’s just the start. A completely new functional architecture (data bus layout) is likely. And Audi will work to bring one other core piece of electric-vehicle hardware into the fold: the inverter, which changes the battery’s DC electric current to AC current as needed by the most efficient propulsion motors.

“The [inverter] component, from a security point of view, is too important to rely on a Tier 1 supplier,” said Siegfried Pint, Audi’s technical director for powertrain development, “so we are getting more and more into inverter/power module development. How we do it for the second generation is open, to be honest; but we have to have the ability to develop inverters internally.” Like Toyota, and unlike most other automakers, Audi sees solid-state battery technology as potentially arriving within a five-year timeline. Audi R&D chief Peter Mertens underscored that the emphasis will remain on lithium-ion batteries but said the company anticipates that some solid-state battery applications could be headed to production in as little as three years. “Solid state is obviously something which in the future will change a lot,” he said, pointing to accelerated battery development happening throughout the industry. Mertens wouldn’t say what type of solid-state batteries Audi is testing.

Not having to work around big engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, and tailpipes certainly allows designers more flexibility, but Audi chief designer Marc Lichte hinted that solid-state battery technology could provide an even higher level of freedom. Such batteries could conform to design needs in ways that today’s lithium-ion packs can’t. “It’s easy to put a battery pack on an SUV; an SUV is huge anyway,” Lichte said. “In the future we would like to do a battery-electric car very low—a big challenge, and why the package of the battery is very important.”

12. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10...lectric-racer/

short and not much to it, but does have a picture of silhouetted electric race car

14. Likes Eric, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pikes peak will never be the same since they paved it.

The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

16. Likes Eric, Da Tow'd, vreihen, D-Dub, PetrolDave liked this post