Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm skeptical of the solar panels delivering that much power. I get about 4 miles per hour from 1kW on a stenchin cord. 7.5 miles/hr would be almost double that assuming similar efficiency. Rooftop solar arrays are much bigger than 5 square meters, IIRC.

2. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right to be skeptical, but as an example, even cut in half, that covers my wife's commute with a side trip to the grocery store with room to spare.

Plus, with the panels and charge control right on board, you get to skip a lot of wiring, plus an AC to DC conversion, possibly two if they can charge individual blocks of batteries well matched to the panel output without having to step up to the full pack voltage.
    Silence gives consent.

4. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Question is whether it really makes sense to embed the panels in the car?

For $120k I could buy an e-tron quattro or a pretty nice Tesla and put a much bigger array of panels on the roof of my garage.

Am I the only one here who would be reluctant to park a car that expensive out in the elements all the time?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes PetrolDave, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a matter of efficiency no, it probably makes little sense unless they made a lot of strides truly integrating solar as structural bodywork rather than just a layer on top. As a matter of convenience, possibly yes. That's what I think is interesting about their car.

Along those lines, I'm surprised we haven't seen more innovation in auto-docking of some sort. I understand electrifying roads is horrifically expensive, but I would've thought there'd be a residential (or Supercharger) docking solution by now. I know Elon had that "don't drop the soap" robot a while back, but I never saw anything else come out.
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 06-25-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Silence gives consent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Along those lines, I'm surprised we haven't seen more innovation in auto-docking of some sort. I understand electrifying roads is horrifically expensive, but I would've thought there'd be a residential (or Supercharger) docking solution by now. I know Elon had that "don't drop the soap" robot a while back, but I never saw anything else come out.
    Funny you should mention that. VAG already has dozens of fault codes defined for an inductive charging plate solution. From what I've been able to gather, the car will be able to position itself over the plate, which then rises out of the floor to within some minimal distance of a pickup coil in the car. I'm not sure what car this will actually be implemented in or when, but it's clearly something they're working on.

Caveat: It wouldn't be the first time they've defined fault codes for something that never got sold. They also have fault codes for 16-cylinder diesel engines.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes jyoung8607, NZDubNurd, PetrolDave, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Question is whether it really makes sense to embed the panels in the car?
    Yeah, that is a great question.

Ideally this kind of stuff would start on BUS's and semi's (trailers), and RV's (my dream a volt style RV primarily powered by electricity generated by solar, with some kind of 'range extender', be it gas/diesel/hydrogen or kerosene or even used fryer oil).

Post Thanks / Like
    More on the Buzz Lightyear car:

12. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    VAG already has dozens of fault codes defined for an inductive charging plate solution.
    OMG. I'm currently working on those for French...
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    /r/BrandNewSentence
    Silence gives consent.