Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe my memory is slipping, but I seem to recall Jack saying something about a magic box that makes a 3-phase electric motor function without a 3-phase power service.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    For typical commuter and grocery-getter use, were someone would plug in their EV in their own garage overnight, that's more than adequate to get a full charge by morning. There's also plenty of spare capacity available on the grid late at night and into the wee hours.
    In the US do you have car charging points that are internet connected? That's what the car charging points being installed in the UK mostly are like - so that the utility companies can turn EV chargers on or off to avoid demand exceeding supply. The big downside is that if you assume that your EV is being charged because you've plugged it in then you may be in for a shock when you come to drive it away...

All the predictions of EV charging demand being met by current supply plans in the UK are based on these remotely managed charging points, but what about the scenario where a woman is about to give birth and can't make it to hospital because the EV didn't charge so she had to give birth in a dead EV miles from civilisation? That would be an "interesting" discussion...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    The big downside is that if you assume that your EV is being charged because you've plugged it in then you may be in for a shock when you come to drive it away...
    ...or NOT being shocked if the battery is dead when you come back!

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Post Thanks / Like
    ....what about the scenario where a woman is about to give birth and can't make it to hospital because the EV didn't charge so she had to give birth in a dead EV miles from civilisation? That would be an "interesting" discussion...
    On average, she's probably safer there than going into hospital

What if she had a VW, and it went into limp mode (AGAIN) on her way to the hospital?... hahahahaha

5. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    No magic here Art just EV is dumb....
    Batteries are a serious hazmat people often forget.
    MMMM allows for no batteries needed, a charging station, solar array, nor generator.
    This means no source.
    I know it's really funny in everyone's head what I been conducting experiments on. A joke even or a violation of physics people say but it really isn't.
    Magnetic resonance when engaged mechanically to interfere within its on static boundaries are absolutely feasible, when & if you can control speed plus engagement or disengagement.
    The other issue is adequate shielding required too because the EMFI is a problem but is manageable.
    Ultimately it will be the way to the boat within a boat theory.
    Pay no attention to that asshole Jack .....
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

7. Likes PetrolDave, Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the problem? That Honda generator is one of those fecal combustion engines that runs off of 100% pure bullshit.....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow not sure how I missed this thread.

Andy, it is true that with our current infrastructure that EV's are *not* necessarily the best for long distances.

What EV's excel at, is every day commuting or driving to town for groceries and other scenarios where your known milage is within the range of your EV, and your ability to charge your own vehicle overnight. Ideally with a 220-240v connection, for quickest and most efficient recharging.

In those situations, you avoid use of any gas at the user end of things (where the electricity comes from and whether it is dirtier than the average gas station, is a whole other conversation).

I have 3 vw and a chevy volt, most of the time I am driving the volt.

My volt has a ~35 mile electric range, with a built in 'range extender' gas motor and about 9 gallons of gas.

So it has the best of both words, albeit with more limited electric range than a pure electric battery only vehicle, I can still drive cross country without hooking up to the grid and use only dead dinosaurs, and still pull 35-45 mpg.

Newer volts can push 50+ electric miles.

If anyone has questions I am happy to answer as best I can.

11. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    but what about the scenario where a woman is about to give birth and can't make it to hospital because the EV didn't charge so she had to give birth in a dead EV miles from civilisation? That would be an "interesting" discussion...
    How is that any different than the last millennia before motor vehicles became a thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    How is that any different than the last millennia before motor vehicles became a thing?
    After 100+ years of motor vehicles being part of everyday culture everyone has a certain expectation of the level of mobility that a motor vehicle offers, and if EVs don't meet that expectation then IMHO they are not yet fit for purpose as a replacement of an IC engined vehicle.

Yes they have their place, but they are NOT a replacement for what we currently have - and should not be oversold pretending that they are.

14. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post