EV Thread

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
in general I like the model 3 design, but I gotta have either a HUD or 'normal' instrument panel with speed etc.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Went inside, handed over title / reg for Prius
Definitely a step up from a Prius! ;)

So what's your take on Elon's "420 / Funding Secured" tweet? Sounds implausible to me, and it seems he could be in a heap of trouble with the SEC if he can't show 'em the money...

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
in general I like the model 3 design, but I gotta have either a HUD or 'normal' instrument panel with speed etc.

After having a Prius (center - upper gauges) and a Mini (center, mid-level gauges) this is no big deal to me.

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Definitely a step up from a Prius! ;)

So what's your take on Elon's "420 / Funding Secured" tweet? Sounds implausible to me, and it seems he could be in a heap of trouble with the SEC if he can't show 'em the money...

I think it's really being discussed; will it happen? Hard to say. I'm pretty confident that there's interest from outside investors to do it.... but 'funding secured' is going to be parsed very closely if it all goes to shit.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When are we going to have a drag race between etron and model 3?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Uwe's white A6 would be a closer match.

Audi: 4.8s and 13.4@103.9
Tesla: 4.8s and 13.6@103.5

From 30 mph though, I think it's game over.

Vs the e-tron, I think it's quite a bit faster.

30-50:
  • e-tron: 3.1s
  • model 3: 1.9

50-70:
  • e-tron: 4.0s
  • model 3: 2.8s

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Model 3 on calendar to visit RTHQ on 8/29!

Been playing around with Teslafi - www.teslafi.com You generate an API token for your car, and then their system can query what's going on, your driving / charging history / etc... and graph it all out. It reminds me of VoltStats ( https://www.voltstats.net/ ) from back when I had an original Volt.

A few drives from today:

From european auto shop (getting inspected) downhill to work:
v1i6fvH.png

Tearing around a bit at lunchtime:
7w1Dbhq.png

And the subsequent cheapy charging at work:
TeFYJMA.png

Whoa! And it keeps details:
KwrYrto.png

Last edited:

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Aero wheels.

Under the... controversial aero wheel covers are painted aluminum wheels. Pulled my covers off, got some center caps and lug covers....

Before:
erlrugQl.jpg

after:
w2NcKisl.jpg

Alternate view:
vuGqtb3l.jpg

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
And if you keep your foot out of it, it looks like this:

A18pBZ3.png

4.92 miles / kw.... Would have been better, but I got red lights at the bottom of big hills twice. I bet I could get closer to 5 if I got lucky.

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
When are we going to have a drag race between etron and model 3?

Our e-tron be can surprisingly quick I found, in sport mode with sufficient battery to give the little 1.4t some help but it's no match for the Performance 3 parked next to it....

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
New HPWC installed today:

sXXsS6Hl.jpg

Q7nFIAdl.jpg

Pulling 48 amps now.... Should probably go past 40 miles / hr, if battery is lower and needs it. Installers did nice work...

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Tragedy strikes!

On the way to work today after a dentist visit, traffic slowed down quick. I stopped, and a Chevy Equinox barreled into the back of the Model 3. I'm ok-ish... stiff. Car seemed worse, but looking at it now, maybe it's not as bad....

MhKKoUGl.jpg

Driver of the smasher told the cops that he slipped off the brake and hit the gas. His car was obliterated...

ne2gWWJl.jpg

And I got pushed into a suburban. Can probably polish out his bumper and mine... no real damage there.

I think I'm in for a trunk lid, bumper cover, and whatever is under the bumper cover. Car drives fine, trunk even opens and closes. Backup camera works... 2 distance sensors fell into bumper skin and so throw alarms when I'm in reverse. Both rear quarters look ok, no broken glass, outer tail lights look fine. I need to go out and make sure it's water-tight, but otherwise it'll probably get driven until we work out insurance stuff and a body shop gets parts?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear you are ok.

Tragedy strikes!

a body shop gets parts?

Does Tesla have/give a listing of approved bodyshops? With all the sensors, would an independent shop have the ability to perform the proper repairs? More importantly, will you still be bringing the car to RT?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Tragedy strikes!
Wow, that's awful... glad that everyone is okay.

Parts delays could be long on this one. There won't be that many parts cars in junkyards, and Tesla are probably using new stock to manufacture as fast as they possibly can.

This being a brand-new car that will now have a reportable accident on CarFax, don't forget to ask for diminished value compensation from his insurance. They won't include it in their initial offer.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
In brighter Tesla news, this is a pretty informative video on how the model 3 batteries are put together and why:

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
Wow super sorry for you - the silver lining is how well they seem to hold up to being bashed into, keeping the people safe. Good luck on speedy repairs

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear you are ok.

Does Tesla have/give a listing of approved bodyshops? With all the sensors, would an independent shop have the ability to perform the proper repairs? More importantly, will you still be bringing the car to RT?

Yes, Tesla has a list of approved shops. The first choice for my insurance company was.... on the list!

Brought car over there this morning. They had another in for almost the same type of hit, and when they ordered the trunk lid, they ordered 2, just in case since they'd heard parts were harder to get. So they have a spare already! Clearly I'll need a bunch of other stuff, but he expects to get car on a lift and order parts by tomorrow. Showed me a GIANT box of model 3 parts they'd ordered which came in about 4 days as well... so he seems optimistic.

Also said if anything is back-ordered he can re-assembly so I can drive it instead of renting..

Took a pic of the one being repaired - clearly that whole box section will have to go on mine:

xHXFnw1l.jpg

Back