EV Thread

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Well, by that definition, human beings are also heat pollution (and many other pollutants beside that LOL).

But yes, I fully agree that there are absolutists that ignore and/or exaggerate the benefits and/or issues surrounding the EV/ICE and many other issues.

Like most other things in life, things are almost always some variation of gray, and not absolute black or absolute white.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Tesla ditches reservations, opens up Model 3 car sales to all customers in North America (CNBC)

So, uhm... What about their 400,000 reservations? Tesla has built fewer than 50,000 Model 3s so far.

My speculation: The remaining 350,000 reservation holders aren't willing to spend $50,000 to $75,000 on a Model 3, which is what the currently available versions cost; they want the $35,000 Model 3 that was promised, and Tesla still hasn't figured out how to build those without losing money on each one.

Yet somehow, TSLA still has a market cap in excess of $50B... :confused:

Pure EVs are pretty cool, and they may pollute less than a car with an actual heat engine (as opposed to an electric motor), but they're still too expensive to make them economically viable.

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
Batteries which we do not know how to re-cycle at this point, produce pollution.

This might have been a challenge with the first Pirus nickle-based cell but that's 20+ years ago. Lithium cells are actually quite recyclable and profitable to do so.

Even when all electricity is generated by solar and wind - not something that happens in any state of the USA today

This is one way those recycled batteries can help, capturing the solar and wind that is generated - and look into it, the sunny states actually produce a heap of it to the point California has to sell it because lack of storage. This too needs to hurry up

I say, let's call a spade a spade. Let's be honest about the whole picture. EV's do reduce the carbon foot print of autos. They are an improvement. But, they still pollute... They are not the end all answer despite some of the rhetoric that says they are.

Ok the big message then - continuing to burn fuel to run a vehicle is a problem and a nasty one. https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions . As was mentioned, anything we produce is going to have an impact on the environment so there's that but refusing to realize that times have changed and striving towards less damaging solutions seems pretty near sighted to me. Ask yourself why China, late to the industrial revolution in many ways, is essentially skipping over fossil fuel based transport towards alternative fuels. Aside from potential imperfections in their methods or plans, it says something big

You all forget one of the best things about an EV though - they can be quite fast ! ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
George-Carlin-620x264.jpg

9k=

It's only Condo though right, so who cares ........not in my backyard or NIMBY?

https://ft.com/content/427b8cb0-71d7-11e7-aca6-c6bd07df1a3c

The country’s cobalt bonanza looks set to benefit only elites and mining companies

Clean electric cars are built on pollution in Congo

https://washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2018/02/28/the-cost-of-cobalt/?utm_term=.eec0a4ed4569

http://www.cobaltmininglegacy.ca/backgrounder.php

https://theguardian.com/sustainable...en-environmental-cost-electric-cars-batteries

https://mining-technology.com/featu...can-it-clean-up-its-reputation-first-5771472/

https://www.google.com/search?q=cob...o3JncAhUon-AKHVyiB20QsAQIkAE&biw=1920&bih=947

Last edited:

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
yes resource issues are one of the many problems facing EV's and every other technology that uses electricity and batteries etc.

while not solely an EV issue, I can certainly see that simply due to the size required for vehicles that the proportion is higher.

another reason for us to get to the moon and beyond asap.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You all forget one of the best things about an EV though - they can be quite fast ! ;)
Not over a long distance they can't. I regularly do a 600 mile run in just under 9 hours, door-to-door. Doing that trip in a Tesla (or any other pure EV) would add two to three hours of en-route charging time.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not over a long distance they can't. I regularly do a 600 mile run in just under 9 hours, door-to-door. Doing that trip in a Tesla (or any other pure EV) would add two to three hours of en-route charging time.

I'm impatient or was that out-patient?
The hell with these EV's I want to teleport or have anti gravity to avoid the traffic....... :rolleyes:

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672

Uwe you knew what I meant, elapsed time != speed road-trip aside :). I love a good road trip too and yup most EV's won't do that marathon run. Most people don't have that in them though.

Folks think I'm preaching and if I were, it's the wrong crowd for sure. Any contrary to some comments, not trying to say EV's are all perfect. If you haven't driven a good one, you are missing out though.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/com...in-technology-turbo-infrastructure-15814.html

At the moment, DC fast-charging stations for electric cars normally operate at a voltage level of around 400 volts. Depending on the charging power in kW, the charging time for a range of 400 kilometres is currently between 40 and 80 minutes. Increasing the voltage level to 800 volts significantly reduces the charging time to less than 20 minutes for the same range.

Converted into 'Murica units, that's about 250 miles in 20 minutes. Sounds reasonable for using the bathroom, getting a snack, and stretching before hitting the road.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Charging that fast is really hard on Li-ion batteries.

That sounds like a Porsche warranty problem, not a customer problem. :cool:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe you knew what I meant, elapsed time != speed road-trip aside :). I love a good road trip too and yup most EV's won't do that marathon run. Most people don't have that in them though.
When I was younger, I'd do 1000 miles in a day, no problem. My record is ~1150. But now, as I've gotten older, 600 is about all I'm willing...

Folks think I'm preaching and if I were, it's the wrong crowd for sure. Any contrary to some comments, not trying to say EV's are all perfect. If you haven't driven a good one, you are missing out though.
I think pure EVs are great for local use, i.e. commuting, grocery getting, and so on. However, I also think the current obsession with range that the manufacturers have gotten into is misplaced because the battery capacity necessary to achieve it also makes the cars unaffordable, thereby reducing adoption for the uses to which they are best suited.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That sounds like a Porsche warranty problem, not a customer problem. :cool:
Depends. How long is the warranty? I'd be pretty pissed if the battery needed replacing soon after the warranty is up.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Pretty cool vid of a guy who reanimated a disassembled model 3:

Also he digs into diagnostics and finds UDS stuff ?!?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
This seems to be the motor assembly for the upcoming all electric Audi e-tron quattro:

Back