Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    well i never intended my question to go so off the rails..

2. Likes Uwe, D-Dub, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msjulie View Post
    well i never intended my question to go so off the rails..
    That tends to happen here in The Bar...
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Don't hate us for our fuel prices, but diesel is about $0.73/liter here in New Yorkistan right now. I fill the 128 liter tank once per month, and it is well under a hundred bucks.....
    vreihen: Oh.......... the MD drinks diesel? I don't hate Americans for their fuel prices (don't hate anyone really - except perhaps for that pesky tax man who keeps asking for compulsory donations), but I do suggest that you folks appreciate the advantage that you have at the fuel pump. $1.31 AUD/liter here for diesel - but we get the good stuff, so that's why we pay more - I suspect

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

5. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the time that you adjust for the Pacific Peso exchange rate (pretty close to the Canuck buck right now), it is only about 25% higher than we're paying.

The Mighty Dodge is powered by a Cummins inline-6 turbo diesel, designed for commercial truck/bus service and rated for 550K km between overhauls in commercial service. I believe that the 6-speed manual gearbox came from a Mercedes dump truck. The engine alone weighs about 550 kg. Long story short, it can tow more weight than my non-commercial drivers license will allow, and should not be confused with a Ute.....

7. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    By the time that you adjust for the Pacific Peso exchange rate (pretty close to the Canuck buck right now), it is only about 25% higher than we're paying.

The Mighty Dodge is powered by a Cummins inline-6 turbo diesel, designed for commercial truck/bus service and rated for 550K km between overhauls in commercial service. I believe that the 6-speed manual gearbox came from a Mercedes dump truck.
    vreihen: wow - I suspect that you can see the needle on the MD's fuel gauge dropping as you reverse out of your driveway!!
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    vreihen: wow - I suspect that you can see the needle on the MD's fuel gauge dropping as you reverse out of your driveway!!
    Actually, you would be wrong. Pardon the USA imperial measurements, but it gets 23 MPG on my commute cycle to/from work. My Audi 1.8T only gets 20-21 MPG on the same drive cycle. Most people have a hard time believing that that behemoth can go further than a 4-banger on the same quantity of fuel. There's a reason why these trucks sell for $70K USD, although the current models only get 18-19 MPG due to the DPF and urea systems.....

10. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the attraction, I think that charging is a hassle - its interesting technology though, I wouldn't mind driving one to see what its like. I don't feel that gas is expensive - I lived in the UK, and despite rises and falls, gas there is so expensive! Cars have tiny 1.0L or lower size engines. Even though the cost of gas in the USA is expensive, I still feel that its cheap and the least expensive part of owning a car. Insurance is a killer!
    Some of you may be interested in this British technology that is up and coming...
    https://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/20/high...r-vehicle.html

12. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    $700+ million USD? Sounds like my third rail idea with a dedicated autopilot/charging lane is a much better and cheaper idea.....

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to derail this entire agenda someday.........

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

15. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

17. Likes D-Dub liked this post