Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    not specifically EV related, but note the 2 top 2 highest depreciation, and the hybrid/ev chart.

https://www.iseecars.com/cars-low-hi...ion-2018-study

interesting reading, especially if you are looking to buy or sell listed models.

4. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something that is wild about the Model 3 is that I've been getting a software update about every 2 weeks? Some have bug fixes, some have new features. This new version (v9) has a bunch of new stuff. Some notes:

New layout on nav screen. Clock / temp moved to left top - homelink / LTE / wifi / bluetooth moved to right. Nav 'next turn' moved to left, default shows 2 upcoming, instead of 5-6 like before. Black bar at bottom (persistent) has some changes also - temp stuff moved, new sub-menu...

New sub-menu. Also, if you hold down the phone icon it changes to 'ahoy-hoy'

New changes to how the cameras are used. Cars / SUV / large trucks / motorcycles all get their own icons now, and they're pretty accurate. Also, it'll show cars in your blind spot, and behind you now. Also has new blind spot monitoring if you signal while someone's there....

Picking up an SUV in front of the car in front of me.

New HVAC controls visualization. Makes more sense to people, I bet.

New web browser!

Built in MAME with Atari games. Can play windowed like this.....

Or fullscreen

New realtime power usage charts / graphs.... 15 min rolling view

On the 5 min you can really see the downhill into my office.

6. Likes Uwe, Andy, Eric, jyoung8607, PetrolDave and 1 others liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm kind of shocked they would include either of the browser and especially MAME.. who needs people surfing or playing games while driving?!?!

Doesn't that go against the whole 'don't distract the driver' thing?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    MAME only works when parked (I believe?) - I haven't tried browser while driving. Will do more tests.

Also, forgot to try the dashcam. Will do some tests this afternoon...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    I'm kind of shocked they would include either of the browser and especially MAME.. who needs people surfing or playing games while driving?!?!

Doesn't that go against the whole 'don't distract the driver' thing?
    Updates:

• MAME Only works when parked
    • Browser works while driving (at least on Autopilot)
    • Websites can use real-time car location

Browser:

Using a web-based Waze interface:

Web-based weather radar, also using location:

Also, dash cam works and isn't bad at all. Will upload samples tomorrow.

10. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, D-Dub, Andy liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hint: The sun doesn't shine at all at night, and wind speeds are usually lower, and daytime is when people want to use their cars, meaning they don't have time to charge 'em them.
    Clever people (one hopes) realize this - there are many strategies for capturing generated power ie batteries, kind of obvious but also more low-tech like pumping water into towers such that hydro power can be used, etc

I kinda like batteries since as they get better they get smaller and are easier to move around then things like water towers or other mechanical storage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msjulie View Post
    Clever people (one hopes) realize this - there are many strategies for capturing generated power ie batteries, kind of obvious but also more low-tech like pumping water into towers such that hydro power can be used, etc
    Sure, but how much does this add to the cost of the electricity provided when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?

Quote Originally Posted by msjulie View Post
    I kinda like batteries since as they get better they get smaller and are easier to move around then things like water towers or other mechanical storage
    What's the expected life in cycles or years of such a storage battery?

Yeah, I know, I'm being a Negative Nancy here.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

13. Likes PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, but how much does this add to the cost of the electricity provided when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?
    A reasonable question.......

What's the expected life in cycles or years of such a storage battery?

Yeah, I know, I'm being a Negative Nancy here.

No you are not!

Useful life is an important expectation to have.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

15. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once the initial outlay is covered, and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements, the energy delivered from solar/wind/thermal is practically free.

So long as the cost of storage of that energy is less than the cost to generate that energy directly by other means, things should still come out ahead.