VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Interested to learn how the "wall box that will allow high speed charging at home" will work given the restricted amperage of the single phase feed to homes?

My best guess is that it will be a very big "wall box" incorporating a large battery pack which will slowly charge from the incoming power line .... or is there another way?
Most modern US homes have 200A service at 240V (which is center-tapped, with the center at ground, giving us two sets of 120V circuits that are 180 degrees out-of-phase). So in principle, a 48 kW charge rate is possible. Of course, that would leave nothing for the rest of the house. :eek:

I do not know what modern homes in Germany have.

I guess we should also ask them exactly what they mean by "high speed"?

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Most modern US homes have 200A service at 240V (which is center-tapped, with the center at ground, giving us two sets of 120V circuits that are 180 degrees out-of-phase). So in principle, a 48 kW charge rate is possible. Of course, that would leave nothing for the rest of the house. :eek:

I do not know what modern homes in Germany have.

I guess we should also ask them exactly what they mean by "high speed"?
Most homes in the UK have only a 60A service fuse at 230V which gives a maximum of just under 14kW - by the time you subtract the power taken for cooking, lighting, entertainment, etc. only a "slow" charge is possible during the evening (more in the "wee small hours", but still not what I would say is enough for a high speed charge without battery assistance).

Reactions: Uwe

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Changing gears a moment. When I was in the UK for the Automechanika Birmingham, I ended my trip going through London. Some colleagues and I went to check out the Fully Charged Event at Silverstone Raceway. I thought you might like to see some of my photos from the event. I hope my writing and photos are somewhat interesting... Check out the 600hp 1973 Beetle!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nEg7WJKRTwe5VGgh9

Last edited:

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Just as a note on the charging front: My Tesla wall charger at home is 11.5kW (60 amp breaker on 240v) and gets me about 44 miles / hour plugged in. It's paltry compared to even the worst urban supercharger, but still faster than any 'level 2' chargers I've used out in the wild (Free or otherwise)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I really like the idea of one motor per wheel, but it needs to in-board. Putting it in place of the normal wheel hub and brakes increases unsprung weight by a lot, which is terrible for both ride and handling.

Super caps here we come with regen almost instant charges.........
The linked article does't mention them. They're great at providing or absorbing big bursts of current, but their energy density is way too low to replace batteries for bulk energy storage.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I really like the idea of one motor per wheel, but it needs to in-board. Putting it in place of the normal wheel hub and brakes increases unsprung weight by a lot, which is terrible for both ride and handling.

I agree and weather proofing would be much better in-board too versus what's hitting the puddles & salt....

The linked article does't mention them. They're great at providing or absorbing big bursts of current, but their energy density is way too low to replace batteries for bulk energy storage.

-Uwe-

Yeah I know but I feel it's coming and a lot sooner than people seem to dismiss it, its also why it's on the special tariff tax for duty!

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Be still my beating heart!

The solar panels add an additional charge of up to 12 km/hour (7.5 miles/hour).
Actually that's a pretty big deal IMO. Certainly not continuous cruise power, but assuming you get that rate for 6 hours a day, that's 45 miles/day range from onboard solar, which is never plug in territory for many daily commutes. You won't always get the sun, but when coupled with 450 miles of battery to buffer against inclement weather and to cover the occasional longer trip... very interesting.

Back