Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Most modern US homes have 200A service at 240V (which is center-tapped, with the center at ground, giving us two sets of 120V circuits that are 180 degrees out-of-phase). So in principle, a 48 kW charge rate is possible. Of course, that would leave nothing for the rest of the house.

I do not know what modern homes in Germany have.

I guess we should also ask them exactly what they mean by "high speed"?
    Most homes in the UK have only a 60A service fuse at 230V which gives a maximum of just under 14kW - by the time you subtract the power taken for cooking, lighting, entertainment, etc. only a "slow" charge is possible during the evening (more in the "wee small hours", but still not what I would say is enough for a high speed charge without battery assistance).

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Changing gears a moment. When I was in the UK for the Automechanika Birmingham, I ended my trip going through London. Some colleagues and I went to check out the Fully Charged Event at Silverstone Raceway. I thought you might like to see some of my photos from the event. I hope my writing and photos are somewhat interesting... Check out the 600hp 1973 Beetle!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nEg7WJKRTwe5VGgh9
    Last edited by Bruce; 06-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.

4. Likes Andy, Uwe, NEtech, D-Dub, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a note on the charging front: My Tesla wall charger at home is 11.5kW (60 amp breaker on 240v) and gets me about 44 miles / hour plugged in. It's paltry compared to even the worst urban supercharger, but still faster than any 'level 2' chargers I've used out in the wild (Free or otherwise)

6. Likes Andy, Uwe, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Coolest car there?

The electric DeLorean with 1.21 Jiggawatts!

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed..............

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/20...-in-3-5-years/

Super caps here we come with regen almost instant charges.........

Evergrande Group Says It Will Be Major EV Company In 3-5 Years

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/20...-in-3-5-years/
    [h=1]Evergrande Group Says It Will Be Major EV Company In 3-5 Years
    I really like the idea of one motor per wheel, but it needs to in-board. Putting it in place of the normal wheel hub and brakes increases unsprung weight by a lot, which is terrible for both ride and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Super caps here we come with regen almost instant charges.........
    The linked article does't mention them. They're great at providing or absorbing big bursts of current, but their energy density is way too low to replace batteries for bulk energy storage.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the idea of one motor per wheel, but it needs to in-board. Putting it in place of the normal wheel hub and brakes increases unsprung weight by a lot, which is terrible for both ride and handling.
    I agree and weather proofing would be much better in-board too versus what's hitting the puddles & salt....

The linked article does't mention them. They're great at providing or absorbing big bursts of current, but their energy density is way too low to replace batteries for bulk energy storage.

-Uwe-
    Yeah I know but I feel it's coming and a lot sooner than people seem to dismiss it, its also why it's on the special tariff tax for duty!
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 06-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes jyoung8607, Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    Be still my beating heart!

The solar panels add an additional charge of up to 12 km/hour (7.5 miles/hour).

15. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Be still my beating heart!

The solar panels add an additional charge of up to 12 km/hour (7.5 miles/hour).
    Actually that's a pretty big deal IMO. Certainly not continuous cruise power, but assuming you get that rate for 6 hours a day, that's 45 miles/day range from onboard solar, which is never plug in territory for many daily commutes. You won't always get the sun, but when coupled with 450 miles of battery to buffer against inclement weather and to cover the occasional longer trip... very interesting.
    Silence gives consent.

17. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, Bruce, Andy liked this post