Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The author seems unfamiliar with how current EVs work.

Regenerating when you have excess kinetic energy just makes sense. I drive my A3 e-tron in Manual model almost all the time, which applies maximum regen and allows one pedal driving for the most part. Nothing in life is free though, so any energy you recover coming down a hill is less than what you spent going up. Better to blast a hole through the mountain and maintain a constant speed.

I have driven on Pike's Peak in 2 different cars, both rentals. A 2005? ish Pontiac G6 that was dreadful. It had a transmission selector that seemed unable to pick any suitable gear for engine braking on the descent. At the halfway point, the guy with the IR thermometer waved me into the gift shop parking lot to cool down, which is probably the real purpose. The next trip I had a rental 2017 Audi A4 7speed DSG from Silvercar which was AWESOME. It allowed me to use the flappy paddles to choose exactly the right gear to hold and I barely needed to use the brakes.

2. Likes PetrolDave, D-Dub, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    not really sure the point of the exercise, pretty much every EV has some sort of regenerative power.
    I guess maybe just the fact that they recharged the battery with a whole mountains worth of regen?
    anyway still somewhat interesting @ https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/08...-electric-suv/
    By the end of our journey down the mountain, we had pumped roughly 11kWh back into the battery.
    Now the question is: How much would have been pulled from the battery had they driven it UP the mountain at comparable speeds?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    11+x kW

Post Thanks / Like
    This video describes the same event as the article but in a much more entertaining format:

Still, nothing new about the concept of regen.

6. Likes D-Dub, Da Tow'd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Now the question is: How much would have been pulled from the battery had they driven it UP the mountain at comparable speeds?
    The better question is, what is the percentages and ratio of battery utilized going up, versus battery regenerated going down.

the video indicated about 7% regenerated going down (62% to 69%).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    the video indicated about 7% regenerated going down (62% to 69%).
    Why do I think these cars started out at nearly 100% at the bottom of the mountain and used ~38% to get up there?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Why do I think these cars started out at nearly 100% at the bottom of the mountain and used ~38% to get up there?
    So 38% used to get up the climb, but only 7% added coming down - not similar in any way, doesn't say a lot for the current implementation of regen IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just from logging around town, I can see a much higher outflow from the battery under hard acceleration than I can see inflow under hard braking. Here's a random graph showing about 275 A peak flowing out of the battery while only about 75 A peak flowing back in:

I'm not sure how much of that is physical/chemical limitation and how much is just programming. I watched a video of a Tesla on a race track and the driver deliberately avoided regeneration so as to not overheat the batteries. I thought that was interesting and counter intuitive to the expected racetrack concerns (running out of juice).

11. Likes NEtech, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I picked up my Tesla Model 3. It was 631 days from when I put down a deposit to when it was delivered. I got:

• Blue
    • 18" Aero wheels
    • Premium Upgrade Package (PUP)
    • Enhanced Auto Pilot
    • Long Range (310 mile) battery

The purchasing process is very different from normal. To put it in perspective, 2 weeks earlier we leased a new CR-V for my wife, so I've got traditional dealers fresh on the mind. (and our Honda experience was one of the better ones - having been through Toyota, Subaru, VW, etc....)

Here's how it went -

1. Reservation placed: November 2016
    2. Invited to configure / pick options: June 27th 2018
    3. Credit app filled out online: Jul 27th
    4. Get assigned delivery specialized: Jul 27th
    5. Use phone app to take pics of trade-in - answer a few questions: Jul 30th
    6. Get trade offer: Jul 30th (Mid KBB trade-in value)
    7. Get appointment for delivery: Jul 30th (for date of 8/9)

Showing up at the Service Center a few minutes early, someone was outside detailing the car. I had 15 mins or so to look at it before my appointment, and I went over it (exterior) in detail. No issues! I had the checklist from the Teslamotors subreddit. I DID check the VIN before spending any time on it!

Went inside, handed over title / reg for Prius, insurance and DL for copies, and explored a Model S and X for a few mins. A tech came over, introduced himself, and offered to give me the tour of the car. He started by asking what I knew, if I'd watched the videos, etc. He asked how in-depth to go, I told him to keep it light. I learned a few things, and actually being hands-on with it was obviously different vs just reading about it or watching other videos.

(first time in the car!)

We spent about 20 minutes messing with settings, pairing my phone, going over the menus. We reviewed charging, the spare keys, how to open and close the frunk, using the app, and a bunch of other stuff. Enabled auto-lowering mirrors for reverse (disabled by default?!) and a few other small tweaks that I'd like.

Went back inside, signed 5 or 6 papers? Most of it was related to them taking the Prius - I think I only signed 2 that were related to the new car. Shook hands, got a folder with my temp reg and the rest of the stuff, and that was it. Then I went for a drive!

(spare 'key' card)

(drove over to work, used a paid charger. it's 25 cents an hour! cheaper than home charging....)

(got my first software update notice)

(built in maps use Google, have realtime traffic and satellite views)

(first time other cars appeared on screen - it takes a few miles to calibrate)

(shows distance in inches to car in front of me!)

(you can turn on the rear camera at any time and speed and watch it)

(playing with a ghetto home charger solution)

(some things you can do in the app)

(turning on A/C remotely)

(big glass roof!)

More in second post...

13. Likes Andy, jyoung8607, D-Dub, Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

(free lifetime LTE - using their streaming service and it works great)

(LED everything - DRL, lows, highs, fogs, etc)

(subtle trunk curve)

(folding mirrors - when you walk away, car powers down, locks, arms, and folds mirrors)

(door handles that confuse everyone)

(that interior!)

https://i.imgur.com/utf2lwW.mp4 - Charger detail!

15. Likes Andy, jyoung8607, D-Dub, Eric, Santos, Uwe liked this post