EV Thread

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It may be a monster in a straight line, but it's not gonna Auto-X particularly well. ;)

Playing devil's advocate, it wouldn't have any problem making minimum weight for any class, :p and having 900kg slung below the axle lines would certainly lower the CG enough to possibly be worth the extra mass tradeoff in transitions.....

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Seems like 3,500-4,000 lbs for the roadster 2.0 is a good guess. It also falls in line with -some- cars of similar (but still slower) performance. Bugatti Chiron is like 4,400lbs.

BTW - I’d hate to put tires on this thing: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 325/30ZR21 rear and 295/35ZR20 front.

My Model 3 is on-track for this summer.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Genevieve Cullen, president of the Electric Drive Transportation Association, issued the following statement this morning:

“EDTA appreciates that the Senate’s tax reform bill will maintain the
existing consumer tax credit for electric vehicles. The U.S. electric
drive sector is still emerging and policies that promote job growth and
innovation remain critical. The plug-in electric
credit is good for consumers and reinforces investment in charging
infrastructure and manufacturing. We urge Congress to keep the Senate
stance in the final tax legislation and accelerate U.S. leadership in
electric drive.”

The Senate bill that passed in the wee hours of this morning apparently keeps the plugin vehicle credit while the House version that passed a few days ago does not. We will see if it survives reconciliation. In states/countries that have stopped tax incentives, EV sales fell off a cliff.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Seems like 3,500-4,000 lbs for the roadster 2.0 is a good guess.
That sounds optimistic to me.

BTW - I’d hate to put tires on this thing: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 325/30ZR21 rear and 295/35ZR20 front.
If it's like the Veyron, you'll need a new set after a coupla top-speed runs.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Playing devil's advocate, it wouldn't have any problem making minimum weight for any class, :p and having 900kg slung below the axle lines would certainly lower the CG enough to possibly be worth the extra mass tradeoff in transitions.....
I'm sure someone will try it.

What class was the original Roadster in, and how did it do?

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Btw: for people not following TSLA stuff closely- Elon has said that the 1.9s 0-60 is the base model - there will be a faster version. 😮

Given early reads on the Model 3 handling (I.e. it made the giulia quadrifoglio feel like a ‘wet noodle’) I’m hopeful that the roadster handling isn’t a hot mess.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So what do you do with an original Tesla Roadster that likely needs a new battery by now?

Blast it into the space, of course!
SpaceX founder and chief executive Elon Musk tweeted Friday that his red Tesla Roadster will head for deep space on the maiden flight of the company’s Falcon Heavy rocket as soon as next month, and do it to the tune of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity.”

Personally, I'd have preferred this tune. :cool:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I finally have an "electric" car:

CKkUfCm.jpg

Autoscan in the Appropriate Place

https://imgur.com/a/ITub4

Pics by Santos:

https://imgur.com/a/TkweD

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Very nice! Trade in the GTI?

I thought you just picked up an older S4 or something, though?

The GTI was a lease that had to go back in August. I got the S4 as an interim car but the dealer bought it back for what I paid. I ordered this e-tron in May so it’s been a long wait. It’s neat so far, a very nerdy combo of sparky things and mechanical things.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
So I successfully depleted the battery and was forced to drive my son to his cub scout meeting using rotten dinosaurs (the horror!). I parked the e-tron in my garage where only gray cars with shiny roof rails are allowed and plugged it in for the night:

T0k9qLK.jpg

The Kill-A-Watt claimed 1100-1150 watts using 120V AC:

6VUHn7s.jpg

Atfer 1.5 hours it still said zero miles range:

B46ynWJ.jpg

... but when I checked it before bed it said 5 miles. Some interesting screens:

SUSYbuK.jpg

Of course the touchpad allows you to draw what any responsible adult would draw:

Mi5J9s6.jpg

The e-tron uses quite a bit of LED lightpiping for no purpose at all other than to look cool:

EX8idgr.jpg

While sipping a fine adult beverage I came across this slightly Germglish entry in the owner's manual:

SPdxcQp.jpg

This morning I loaded up my kids in the car and with an indicated 20 mile range set off to drop them off at school, then head to work. Here's the result:

nJZFf5H.jpg

I wasn't trying to drive slow, just my normal zippy driving style with seat heater on, HVAC blowing warm air, and tunes cranking.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Did you start a Fuelly account for this car yet?

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Did you start a Fuelly account for this car yet?

When I had my Volt, Fuelly couldn't deal well with the idea that you'd go 4,000 miles on a single tank of gas. Hopefully it's better now - it's been a few years.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
When I got my volt I only used 110v for a couple weeks.

Then my dad and I wired up an extra 240v circuit breaker in the garage and added an outlet for a level 2 EVSE (charger cord).

If your car didn't come with a level 2 cord, I would highly recommend investing in one and the applicable wiring.

On my volt, level 1 (110v) takes 10-12 hours to fully charge, where lvl 2 takes 4-5 hours.

There are also wireless charging systems, that I would love to be able to afford. Usually similar to a larger implementation of wireless phone charging.

Then there are the fast charger systems that use even higher voltages, probably not feasible for home use unless you can get fairly easy high voltage drop from the electric company. (also assuming the vehicle supports fast charging)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Oldie but newly relevant to my interests:

The e-tron in its new home, slurping down 120V AC:

apWKyWx.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
If your car didn't come with a level 2 cord, I would highly recommend investing in one and the applicable wiring.

On my volt, level 1 (110v) takes 10-12 hours to fully charge, where lvl 2 takes 4-5 hours.

The e-tron came with both 120V and 240V cords (that plug into the same box that has the EV cord on the other end). Allegedly this charges fully on 120V in 8 hours and in 240V in 3.5hr or so, hence I don't see much need for a faster 240V box since the car won't really make use of that in normal driving.

I will create a fuelly account once I top up the 10.6 gallon gas tank, just for the lulz since fuelly doesn't seem to have any way to tell when electricity has supplemented the range.

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
OK, I bought 73 cents worth of gas :D to top it up and start a fuelly account:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/a3_sportback_e-tron/2018/wolfsburgde/718508

I had fully charged up the car via 120V stenchin cord, showing 21 miles remaining, I drove home with seat heater and HVAC on, playing music, driving normally. Driving home, then to BJ's to get gas, then back home to drop off the missus and back to work was accomplished on purely electric power:

9BUGd2C.jpg

... barely.

Bonus pictures of my very comfy sport seats (same as found in the S3):

2SSXLL6.jpg

Awesome flat bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters:

lUBRGtx.jpg

And the real exhaust tips hidden behind a rear fascia that kinda sorta is supposed to look like exhaust tips:

HcjZ3nO.jpg

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
The e-tron came with both 120V and 240V cords (that plug into the same box that has the EV cord on the other end). Allegedly this charges fully on 120V in 8 hours and in 240V in 3.5hr or so, hence I don't see much need for a faster 240V box since the car won't really make use of that in normal driving.

Yeah perhaps, being able to charge at work certainly helps. With lvl 2 charger, you can come home, hook it up for 30-60 minutes then go out for dinner and/or shopping and have a better chance of staying out of the dinojuice. I think I can get 10-15 miles after about an hour on 240v.

Not knowing much about the etron, I also would have thought your electric range would be better than 21 for an '18 MY, but that might also be just newness of system and lack of system driving history established.

Personally, I will need an e-range of 50-60 miles minimum for my next e-vehicle, at my current commute. I'd prefer 100 mile range to cover any additional lunch/dinner/shopping/etc trips.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
OK, this is pretty awesome. I can use an app on my phone to tell the car to run the HVAC so it’s warm by the time I get in:

1Se85vu.jpg

Back