Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    Once the initial outlay is covered, and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements, the energy delivered from solar/wind/thermal is practically free.
    You sure about that?

Solar cells have a half life of approximately 25 years (so after 25 years their output will be half what is was when they are new), plus you have to pay people to clean the cells and make sure the grass around them is trimmed (even if you use sheep to do that you need to look after the sheep), etc.

Wind turbine farms near where I live always seems to have one or more surrounded by scaffolding and being maintained, some ones to pay for the people doing that.

Nothing ever has been or ever will be free.

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements
    Yes, pretty much all energy producing systems have ongoing maintenance and other costs.

That is no different from coal or nuclear or burning cow poop.

What I am saying is, all that is part of the cost of doing business. The actual energy is provided free. Do you pay for sun, wind or heat from the earth ?

No of course not.

Does it cost money and effort to convert sun, wind, or heat to energy? yes it does.

As long as the cost for converting, storing, distributing that energy, is the same or less than other alternatives, then I call that a win.

Whether we are there yet, I can't speak to, I am not involved in any of those industries.

But as long as we as a society continue to further develop those 'greener' technologies, the efficiencies will improve further over time.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    model 3 down to 45k before tax credits

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/18/...d-range-tesla/

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    Does it cost money and effort to convert sun, wind, or heat to energy? yes it does.
    So by your own words the electricity isn't free as there is a capital cost (and replacement costs when they wear out) for the conversion system - plus there are the costs of recycling those conversion systems when they wear out. It's important to consider the whole life cycle not just the in use part.

Maybe the cost of green generation could be lower than fossil fuel generation - but if that's the case why are we having to pay large subsidies for the cost of "green" generation? That makes no sense if they are "practically free", which suggests that we have a massive case of corporate greed?