EV Thread

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Something that is wild about the Model 3 is that I've been getting a software update about every 2 weeks? Some have bug fixes, some have new features. This new version (v9) has a bunch of new stuff. Some notes:

PIKTTpYl.jpg

New layout on nav screen. Clock / temp moved to left top - homelink / LTE / wifi / bluetooth moved to right. Nav 'next turn' moved to left, default shows 2 upcoming, instead of 5-6 like before. Black bar at bottom (persistent) has some changes also - temp stuff moved, new sub-menu...

ZDDeVF0l.jpg

New sub-menu. Also, if you hold down the phone icon it changes to 'ahoy-hoy'

BhzVSkgl.jpg

New changes to how the cameras are used. Cars / SUV / large trucks / motorcycles all get their own icons now, and they're pretty accurate. Also, it'll show cars in your blind spot, and behind you now. Also has new blind spot monitoring if you signal while someone's there....

3EQAzBMl.jpg

Picking up an SUV in front of the car in front of me.

2udAKhGl.jpg

New HVAC controls visualization. Makes more sense to people, I bet.

hkIQdzHl.jpg

New web browser!

MVgLvb1l.jpg

Built in MAME with Atari games. Can play windowed like this.....

6htJuVxl.jpg

Or fullscreen

q6GxIghl.jpg

New realtime power usage charts / graphs.... 15 min rolling view

PPf1KZJl.jpg

On the 5 min you can really see the downhill into my office.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I'm kind of shocked they would include either of the browser and especially MAME.. who needs people surfing or playing games while driving?!?!

Doesn't that go against the whole 'don't distract the driver' thing?

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
MAME only works when parked (I believe?) - I haven't tried browser while driving. Will do more tests.

Also, forgot to try the dashcam. Will do some tests this afternoon...

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
I'm kind of shocked they would include either of the browser and especially MAME.. who needs people surfing or playing games while driving?!?!

Doesn't that go against the whole 'don't distract the driver' thing?

Updates:

• MAME Only works when parked
  • Browser works while driving (at least on Autopilot)
  • Websites can use real-time car location

Browser:
mzNXazel.jpg

Using a web-based Waze interface:
bMm0eBfl.jpg

Web-based weather radar, also using location:
Ac1jwuIl.jpg

Also, dash cam works and isn't bad at all. Will upload samples tomorrow.

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
Hint: The sun doesn't shine at all at night, and wind speeds are usually lower, and daytime is when people want to use their cars, meaning they don't have time to charge 'em them.

Clever people (one hopes) realize this - there are many strategies for capturing generated power ie batteries, kind of obvious but also more low-tech like pumping water into towers such that hydro power can be used, etc

I kinda like batteries since as they get better they get smaller and are easier to move around then things like water towers or other mechanical storage

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Clever people (one hopes) realize this - there are many strategies for capturing generated power ie batteries, kind of obvious but also more low-tech like pumping water into towers such that hydro power can be used, etc
Sure, but how much does this add to the cost of the electricity provided when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?

I kinda like batteries since as they get better they get smaller and are easier to move around then things like water towers or other mechanical storage
What's the expected life in cycles or years of such a storage battery?

Yeah, I know, I'm being a Negative Nancy here. ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sure, but how much does this add to the cost of the electricity provided when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing?

A reasonable question....... :rolleyes:

What's the expected life in cycles or years of such a storage battery?

Yeah, I know, I'm being a Negative Nancy here. ;)

No you are not!

Useful life is an important expectation to have.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Once the initial outlay is covered, and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements, the energy delivered from solar/wind/thermal is practically free.

So long as the cost of storage of that energy is less than the cost to generate that energy directly by other means, things should still come out ahead.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Once the initial outlay is covered, and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements, the energy delivered from solar/wind/thermal is practically free.
You sure about that?

Solar cells have a half life of approximately 25 years (so after 25 years their output will be half what is was when they are new), plus you have to pay people to clean the cells and make sure the grass around them is trimmed (even if you use sheep to do that you need to look after the sheep), etc.

Wind turbine farms near where I live always seems to have one or more surrounded by scaffolding and being maintained, some ones to pay for the people doing that.

Nothing ever has been or ever will be free.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
and accounting for ongoing maintenance requirements

Yes, pretty much all energy producing systems have ongoing maintenance and other costs.

That is no different from coal or nuclear or burning cow poop.

What I am saying is, all that is part of the cost of doing business. The actual energy is provided free. Do you pay for sun, wind or heat from the earth ?

No of course not.

Does it cost money and effort to convert sun, wind, or heat to energy? yes it does.

As long as the cost for converting, storing, distributing that energy, is the same or less than other alternatives, then I call that a win.

Whether we are there yet, I can't speak to, I am not involved in any of those industries.

But as long as we as a society continue to further develop those 'greener' technologies, the efficiencies will improve further over time.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Does it cost money and effort to convert sun, wind, or heat to energy? yes it does.
So by your own words the electricity isn't free as there is a capital cost (and replacement costs when they wear out) for the conversion system - plus there are the costs of recycling those conversion systems when they wear out. It's important to consider the whole life cycle not just the in use part.

Maybe the cost of green generation could be lower than fossil fuel generation - but if that's the case why are we having (in the UK at least) to pay large subsidies for the cost of "green" generation, and why is natural gas £0.04/kWhr but electricity £0.12/kWhr (that's why most homes use natural gas for heating not electricity)? That makes no sense if green electricity sources are "practically free", which suggests that we could have a massive case of corporate greed?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Even MMMM requires to be maintained and materials which are mined or refined create some level of pollution; that is the most viable I have ever seen to date!

So do farts, better get killing to hit the cap and trade numbers?

The last chance at a hidden investment has been found, see how that worked out?

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Hi Dave, you seem to be failing to understand. Please re-read until you do. :)

The energy from the source is free.

Harnessing that energy, of course has costs.

Just like harvesting oil and coal have costs.

I am absolutely not ignoring the whole life cycle. The whole life cycle is the POINT.

That makes no sense if green electricity sources are "practically free", which suggests that we could have a massive case of corporate greed?

And is there any doubt that corporate greed and entrenched powers are going to attempt to keep that power and suppress other more efficient or less costly alternatives? Or that they don't actively try to subvert them?

Aside from the law of supply and demand, you answer your own question as to your costs.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi Dave, you seem to be failing to understand. Please re-read until you do. :)
I understand completely so no re-reading is required, but it's somewhat frustrating that I had to drag out of you the admission that "practically free" applies only to the source not the whole cycle.

This seems to be a trend amongst that who champion green generation, that they cherry pick their statements to make green generation appear to have no downsides - but the reality is that all industrial processes have environmental downsides.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I didn't intend to portray that there were no downsides. In fact I specifically called them out as the startup and ongoing maintenance costs.

But I also understand and agree that it is easy to go to extremes (on either side).

I don't consider myself a green champion, heck I can't even concern myself with separating the trash for recycling.

While it may not apply to all situations at all times, I do see the writing on the wall for future of transportation.

Back