EV Thread

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah Art & his wife in last month switched to EV.
Art bought the BMW and she pulled in last night with new KIA 4 door & both were a nice layout.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Yeah Art & his wife in last month switched to EV.
Art bought the BMW and she pulled in last night with new KIA 4 door & both were a nice layout.

Did you let them mooch some free electricity? :)

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you let them mooch some free electricity? :)

No EV ports here yet but I am indeed considering adding a parking lot of them for people to access and offer fast charge terminals at strategic locations & at a for profit rate, using MMMM, solar banks to run high power hydrogen powered generators to really turn out some megawatts.

It's free everywhere apparently as incentives to shop, at some point it will be retracted & it will be for profit & taxed.

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
And that's when the TRUE cost of running an EV will become apparent to owners who are currently getting a free ride :cool:

You don't want to go there I'm thinking, with something like $7.6 billion in fossil fuel subsidies paid by us taxpayers .. now there's a free ride.. Some people don't want to know that ..

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You don't want to go there I'm thinking, with something like $7.6 billion in fossil fuel subsidies paid by us taxpayers .. now there's a free ride.. Some people don't want to know that ..
How much are taxpayers currently shelling out in subsidies to wind, solar, and other "green" energy projects?

A million EVs alone at a $7,500 tax credit each would be $7.5 billion.

Then there's the fact the EVs don't pay fuel taxes, which are supposed to be the main source of revenue for road and bridge maintenance.

It's all a complicated mess no matter how you slice it, and the numbers can be spun in whatever direction one would like.

-Uwe-

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
to all points, yes, ev owners will eventually run out of most of the 'free' or subsidized fuel; albeit I would suggest that mostly only tesla owners ever felt this in the first place.

- note: I have rarely gotten free electricity anywhere in my locale, not even a convenient 110v wall socket, any place that actually has EV service was either a chevy dealer, once at a hotel/restaurant had an EV charger, and the rest were all EV Pay services.

1) there is no separate 'fuel' tax for electricity, but I can guarantee that taxes were paid by someone at some point to generate/sell/buy that electricity.

2) there will of course be loss of tax from declining fossil fuels, but I suspect a significant chunk if not most of it will be made up from taxes on other electricity sources.

3) in the mid term, I expect to see gas taxes rise higher to make up for the perceived loss from EV, however what will happen to gas has/is already happening to cigarettes (raising taxes, lowering volume until extinction).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
3) in the mid term, I expect to see gas taxes rise higher to make up for the perceived loss from EV, however what will happen to gas has/is already happening to cigarettes (raising taxes, lowering volume until extinction).
Well, lots of states and localities are starting to tax the EV analog to cigarettes, vapes. For example PA has a 40% tax on the wholesale level. So I do not think that EVs will remain free of road-specific taxes for very long. ;)

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
It's all a complicated mess no matter how you slice it, and the numbers can be spun in whatever direction one would like.

That's called "Goverment" :D

Reactions: Uwe

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
Fossil fuel subsidies PER YEAR https://www.nrdc.org/experts/danielle-droitsch/time-us-end-fossil-fuel-subsidies there are other links

26 billion Per Year in the USA for all fossil fuel industry support combined

I'd love to see 1million EV's to get on the road to reach that 7.5 billion total.. there is currently somewhere north of 256 million cars on USA roads, only 2-3 million EVs world wide and we are of course not the biggest contributors to that #

The debate will continue for sure..

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Fossil fuel subsidies PER YEAR https://www.nrdc.org/experts/danielle-droitsch/time-us-end-fossil-fuel-subsidies there are other links

26 billion Per Year in the USA for all fossil fuel industry support combined
OK, but I'm not the one who initially said, "7.6 billion". ;)

I've also heard arguments (that I can't really refute) that some substantial portion of the USA's "defense" budget should be counted as a subsidy to the world-wide oil market, because without our "protection", critical shipping lanes such as the Strait of Hormuz would become hazardous to transit, if not closed entirely, which would dramatically increase the price of oil. If we accept this, then the total subsidies are well into the hundreds of billions.

Now if you made me the Benevolent Dictator of the USA, I'd eliminate all those subsidies. Direct, indirect, fossil fuel, EV, or other "green" stuff. That would allow the price of oil reflect its true cost (including the hazards of shipping it without US taxpayer protection). Then I'd let the markets sort out which energy sources are actually the most cost effective, and what type of vehicles are offered (and actually bought by consumers).

I'd love to see 1million EV's to get on the road to reach that 7.5 billion total..
I have little doubt this will happen at some point in the foreseeable future. But for EVs to really make a big dent in the market, batteries still have to get less expensive than they currently are.

-Uwe-

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
I have little doubt this will happen at some point in the foreseeable future. But for EVs to really make a big dent in the market, batteries still have to get less expensive than they currently are.

Yup no argument there

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I think with super capacitors and ability to recharge for burst during regen braking, things are going to change significantly over next 2-5 years.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That is why my log splitter car idea is more feasible, at least for price........ :rolleyes:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
It's interesting that the e-tron quattro only has a flippy cover on the DC fast charge portion, not on the regular charger portion:

DrrzD5p.jpg

Compare that to my A3 e-tron that has a tethered rubber cap that covers the entire charging port even though the Audi rings slide over to cover that as well:

AB1phzv.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
What a shortcut was taken and a bean counter decided, that "something" was an acceptable situation & as a loss again?

Pattern BAD behavior shown in actions, versus a tear eyed forgiveness commercial?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Interesting!

Back