Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ Based on the 3.6V maximum cell voltage he mentioned, I assume he's using LiFePo cells. This explains why he only has ~100 miles of range. They're much less volatile than Li-ion cells (i.e. less risk of fire) and they have good cycle life, but they also have a considerably lower energy density.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

2. Likes PetrolDave, Andy liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes NZDubNurd, Jack@European_Parts, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with the home charger wiring:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...cable-2987634/

6. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Be careful with the home charger wiring:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...cable-2987634/
    Andy, I think the terminal for the hot wire was loose on the outlet. With time, oxidation, moisture and so on got in there, corroded the wire, caused a high resistance connection, resulted in the heated wire that once it began heating, became a runaway condition. In this app, electrical sealing grease should be applied. Further, because the wires will continue to compress after install, a check of the screw terminals is warranted 2-3 weeks after install. I'd put money on it that if that had been done, the screw would have turned a bunch more!

High power requires really solid connections. Moisture is an enemy.

The guy who suggested the electrical tape over the connections is, in my opinion, talking out his butt. The grease is the right solution.

That style box in a garage or basement is not to electrical code... The box should be a weather resistant sealed box.

The breaker did not trip because the current did not exceed 50 amps. As the wire resistance increased, the current actually went down but heat increased.. Been in lots of industrial plants where there was a fire in a box because of a bad connection. The breaker can only stop an over-current situation but a bad connection situation usually will not cause an over-current. It simply causes improper heating of the wires.

Doing an install? Do it. Test it. Run it a week or so. Go back and check the connections after a week of heavy use. During the check, make sure the grease is on all the connections.

Oh one more thing: the discussion of the neutral and ground wires... Code does not require same size. Smart electricians and engineers do not cheap out and they will use same size... just in case.... In this instance.. look like one had to buy 2 feet or less of wire. Buy all the same size. Buy the right boxes... Do the job correctly and over do it.

I'll take my EE hat off now. Back to being - what is it I do?? Oh yeah, farmer bear!

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce could not agree more!
    Electronics, hydraulics or mechanical movement of anything same thing, HEAT created from oxidation/corrosion is always the ENEMY!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes Bruce, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Bruce could not agree more!
    Electronics, hydraulics or mechanical movement of anything same thing, HEAT created from oxidation/corrosion is always the ENEMY!
    Been there too many times.. learned the hard way...

Eventually the wire stops compressing and one can stop tightening the screws.

In industrial plants, those who want highest up time will have their electricians/technicians go through every screw terminal connection to assure they are tight and making proper contact.. Preventative Maintenance. Can't tell the number of times I went out into the field to tighten screws. Since I was big bucks engineer... most of the time, I handed the company a bill for over $1000... plus expenses. That was 20+ years ago.

Keep em tight is my rule! Squeeze em til it hurts!

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol ....
    I can't even count how many times a car came in with self loosened battery terminals & from getting hot, then expanding from insufficient grounds and then cool to only make a no start on a cold day contraction.

People get mad at me when I ask them if they tightened a battery terminal proper and did they rule out why they changed the old one?

Kind of like Vinny here.
    https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...l=1#post191939

Don't worry we are going to get Vinny pointed in right direction eventually.

A temp gun or infrared heat camera when observing a box or connection is a nice tool to have in your arsenal.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/be...thermal-images
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 02-13-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

13. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes Santos, Uwe, jyoung8607, PetrolDave, Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

17. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

19. Likes Uwe liked this post