Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    another article

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/01...-for-road-use/

unpleasant, but not unexpected.

sooner or later they will start double dipping by increasing tax on electricity.

just another reason to invest into solar (and home battery storage) if you can afford it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    sooner or later they will start double dipping by increasing tax on electricity.

just another reason to invest into solar (and home battery storage) if you can afford it.
    They'll find some way to tax that too.

But solar, when combined with battery storage, remains horribly un-economic in most places.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

3. Likes PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe someone will build a clean nuclear battery?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy this guy's channel and found this video a bit hard to watch:

EV range not being nearly what the manufacturer claimed, multiple fails at trying public charging, etc. This might as well have been a Tesla ad.

6. Likes NZDubNurd, Uwe, PetrolDave, D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    living in st louis (not the ev capital of the world), I bought my volt expecting to charge only at home (granted mine is plug-in hybrid).

I have used public charging maybe a handful of times, and only when free, but I understand that public charging infrastructure still has a long way to go.

I agree, that not only the video above, but a lot of the non-tesla ev/phev so far have left me (as a consumer) wanting a tesla.

Not that I am currently in the market, but I'd probably buy a used tesla (with extended warranty of course), before buying anything else new (besides maybe mk7/8 golf r).

edit;

also a note about cold. On my volt, I think my peak summer range was ~48 miles (round trip work and back, no lunch miles).

winter range, that drops to about 25, 30 tops.

With ~10.5kw usable, that is quite a difference between summer/winter. Part of this is the car managing battery temp, but mostly heating the cabin is much less efficient than a/c.
    Last edited by D-Dub; 01-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.

8. Likes Eric, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    mostly heating the cabin is much less efficient than a/c.
    Out of interest, does your Volt use a heating element, or a reverse cycle AC heat pump heater??? We have a lot of used Leafs here in NZ, and the base model is heater element, and the nicer ones are 2 way AC heat pump.
    Allan
    The R32ran Thread
    How to post a full Auto-Scan
    "Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub
    winter range, that drops to about 25, 30 tops.

With ~10.5kw usable, that is quite a difference between summer/winter. Part of this is the car managing battery temp, but mostly heating the cabin is much less efficient than a/c.
    Consider me jealous.

This morning in my driveway as I left for work:

18 minutes and 4.1 miles later as I pulled into work:

11. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, 4 miles I'm jealous, but I can go ~25 miles in about 20 minutes (on a good day anyway).

@nzdubnerd, I believe the 1st gen volts are all heater element (+ gas engine will kick on under ~35F long enough to warm the coolant system).

I think the 2nd gen volts/bolts have those heat pumps (but I'm not sure), I know the 2nd gen is supposed to have a much better hvac overall.

My 1st gen heater, is less than optimal, which if I had been more aware prior to the first winter, I might have just waited for gen2 or model 3.

All that said, I still love my volt. It's not perfect by any means, and I wish it could do just a little bit more, but I intend to keep it until the wheels fall off or batteries go.

13. Likes NZDubNurd, Andy liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tesla Surges Past $100 Billion Market Value, Eclipsing VW

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...035235477.html

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

15. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Neat!

17. Likes Uwe, D-Dub liked this post