Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '09 Touareg 3.0 TDI sudden limp mode, man code. Help please.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I've just purchased a 1-day subscription to ERWIN and got ahold of the wiring diagrams. Trying to track down the information I need to test these circuits.

Could you tell me what page/diagram I should be looking at to see how the Turbocharger control module ties in with the Adblue System?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please print all documents to PDF first and then hit control F to search for wild cards.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MmmBoost View Post
    So I've just purchased a 1-day subscription to ERWIN and got ahold of the wiring diagrams. Trying to track down the information I need to test these circuits.

Could you tell me what page/diagram I should be looking at to see how the Turbocharger control module ties in with the Adblue System?
    MmmBoost: If I can add to Jack's excellent suggestion - here's a couple of other ways of finding stuff assuming that you use Adobe reader:

In the first screen, select the "magnifying glass" shown in the circle and the find dialogue box opens. Enter the search criteria (i.e. "turbo" in the pic.) and then repeatedly press "next" to go to each hit

The facility in the first screen finds individual hits, whereas the second screen is a more detailed search facility that yields a table of all hits in the document

Both ways are very good, but I use the first method if the search criteria has only a few hits -otherwise, it gets very tiresome going to the next hit. But the choice is yours!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

5. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition, if you want to know what's connected to your ECU, search for i.e. J623 (codename for the ECU) or T96 and T60 (the plugs that go into the ECU).
    I'm usually making lists and illustrated images of what goes where on a connector, this way short circuits or FOD are easier to visualize.

7. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've made a little progress so far. I've been following the diagnostic procedures for the G686 Reductant Pressure Sensor as well as the J724 Turbocharger Control Module. So far both tests failed the initial voltage tests looking for 5V with the key on. For G686 it was pin 1 to 3 looking for 5V and for J724 it was pins 3 to 5 looking for 5 volts. Both gave me readouts of about 0.64V .... the next step in both procedures is to check the wiring harness to the ECM.......however the friggin connector on the ECM is bolted on with anti-tamper bolts. I haven't got around to tackling this just yet, but it's kind of looking like my ECM has crapped the bed.

Jack, you mentioned that the heater circuit might be backfeeding into the pressure sensor circuit. Do you think if I unplugged the heater control module I would see any different results?

If my ECM is infact dead, what is the procedure for replacing it? I'm concerned about the immobilizer coding..

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've made a little progress so far. I've been following the diagnostic procedures for the G686 Reductant Pressure Sensor as well as the J724 Turbocharger Control Module. So far both tests failed the initial voltage tests looking for 5V with the key on. For G686 it was pin 1 to 3 looking for 5V and for J724 it was pins 3 to 5 looking for 5 volts. Both gave me readouts of about 0.64V .... the next step in both procedures is to check the wiring harness to the ECM.......however the friggin connector on the ECM is bolted on with anti-tamper bolts. I haven't got around to tackling this just yet, but it's kind of looking like my ECM has crapped the bed.

Jack, you mentioned that the heater circuit might be backfeeding into the pressure sensor circuit. Do you think if I unplugged the heater control module I would see any different results?

If my ECM is infact dead, what is the procedure for replacing it? I'm concerned about the immobilizer coding..

Yeah, you could unplug the heater to isolate it for testing......... plus simulate with variable resistor while observing VCDS advance block values.

If the ECU is indeed screwed........ let me know........ I can help with a data transfer to another used unit you supply or sell you one with a data transfer from yours.

If so please us the contract form and ref the thread so the office knows because RT forum referrals get a discount.

We have the units .........

That ecu is over 2K at the dealer + programming but I am sure I can hook you up if need be.

It is important to test all the tracks and sensors, so get to it on the tamper proofs.

We want to know what has ran interference with the ECU before plugging in a new or replacement unit.

Do you still have the old sensor for testing to compare with a DVOM or lite off the heater manually while measuring values?

Do not be afraid to run fuses to protect stuff if you are unsure of your abilities going forward.

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 08-05-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

10. Likes MmmBoost liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Jack for the quick response. I really appreciate you helping me try to track this down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Yeah, you could unplug the heater to isolate it for testing......... plus simulate with variable resistor while observing VCDS advance block values.

If the ECU is indeed screwed........ let me know........ I can help with a data transfer to another used unit you supply or sell you one with a data transfer from yours.

If so please us the contract form and ref the thread so the office knows because RT forum referrals get a discount.

We have the units .........

That ecu is over 2K at the dealer + programming but I am sure I can hook you up if need be.

It is important to test all the tracks and sensors, so get to it on the tamper proofs.

We want to know what has ran interference with the ECU before plugging in a new or replacement unit.

Do you still have the old sensor for testing to compare with a DVOM or lite off the heater manually while measuring values?

Do not be afraid to run fuses to protect stuff if you are unsure of your abilities going forward.
    [B][I]

I see that the pins 3 and 5 going into the Turbocharger Control Module (G581/J724/V280) come from Tracks 110 and 137 respectively. 110 is shared with G450 the exhaust pressure sensor and 137 is shared with the G686 Reductant Pressure Sensor. This is the exact sensor I'm having issues with. The 137/215 tracks are both coming from "D195 Connection 5V (in engine compartment wiring harness) 1" ........so it's looking like this may be where the problem lies since I'm also getting an a P651 code "Sensor Reference Voltage B" which from what I've read on other forums is a code that pops up when there is an issue with a 5V reference wire/circuit. Sounding pretty reasonable?

What's the likelihood that this wire is shorting out or broken somewhere and it hasn't actually screwed up my ECM?

Time gap. Before hitting send I did all the diagnostics on the 2 sensor issues in the repair manual.

Ok...... here are the results of testing after finally getting the anti-tamper bolts off. What a nightmare those were. I broke 2 screwdrivers trying to get them out after dremeling a groove into them..

G686
    Pin 1 to 3: .6-.8V (nowhere near the 5V it's supposed to be)
    Pin 1 to T94aa/17: 0.4 Ω (within the 0.5 0.3 Ω spec)
    Pin 2 to T94aa/11: 0.4 Ω (within the 0.5 0.3 Ω spec)
    Pin 3 to T60/38: 0.3 Ω (I assume within the 0.5 0.3 Ω spec)

J724
    Pin 3 to 5: 0.6-1.0V (nowhere near the 5V it's supposed to be)
    Pin 3 to T94aa/79: 0.4 Ω (within the 0.5 0.3 Ω spec)
    Pin 5 to T94aa/17: 0.4 Ω (within the 0.5 0.3 Ω spec)

So..... It's kind of not looking for for the ECM at this point.
    Last edited by MmmBoost; 08-05-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see that the pins 3 and 5 going into the Turbocharger Control Module (G581/J724/V280) come from Tracks 110 and 137 respectively. 110 is shared with G450 the exhaust pressure sensor and 137 is shared with the G686 Reductant Pressure Sensor. This is the exact sensor I'm having issues with. The 137/215 tracks are both coming from "D195 Connection 5V (in engine compartment wiring harness) 1" ........so it's looking like this may be where the problem lies since I'm also getting an a P651 code "Sensor Reference Voltage B" which from what I've read on other forums is a code that pops up when there is an issue with a 5V reference wire/circuit. Sounding pretty reasonable?

Yup..........

What's the likelihood that this wire is shorting out or broken somewhere and it hasn't actually screwed up my ECM?
    Well both scenarios happen but I usually see more ecu's because anyway and than I find out their diagnosis was wrong.

Unplug the track at ecu and if it wakes up at ecu there's your answer.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Yup..........

If this IS the issue, I this is inside of the ECM right, nothing I can do about it?

Well both scenarios happen but I usually see more ecu's because anyway and than I find out their diagnosis was wrong.

Unplug the track at ecu and if it wakes up at ecu there's your answer.
    Well I've already thrown a bunch of money at this with the Adblue pump which I thought had failed. I never imagined that my ECM would just up and die out of nowhere........so I definitely want to be correct about my diagnosis. How would "the common man" go about ensuring the ECM is dead?

What do you mean by "unplug the track"? As in remove the pins from the harness connector? Or is this something that I can do if I open up the ECM?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to get the ECM opened up to have a look inside and see if there was anything obviously wrong, but it has some sort of weather-sealing adhesive on it. Not sure if there's anything I'd be able to see or do in there anyway so I didn't want to force it open and break the seal.